now with my new Cornwall, needing a new tube amp?

ivzhao

Greetings all,

I have become a proud owner of a pair 1982 Cornwall (upgrading from a pair B&W 601 S3). I love my Cornwall's minimalist looking and how they sound so far --- however I believe there's room to get much better sound out of them.

This is my current set-up:

(1) Apple Airpot Express for digital input from my computer or (2) Dual 1219 turntable for phono

--> Lite DAC AH for DAC

--> KLPP1 Tube Preamp, which also has the phono stage (I got this from a local chinese guy, cannot find much info on the internet. Anybody has any idea what this is?)

--> Kingrex integrated T-amp for power amplifying, which is about 20 watts (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kingrex/t20.html)

Any suggestion for a new tube pre-amp (about $500)? Or, what do you guys think the weakest link in this set-up? What about the SET amp?

About my listening habit:

Although the Kingrex amp is integrated, I much more prefer adding the tube preamp, which provides a more clear, smoother sounding. I listen Classical and Jazz most of the time. Not much a bass guy at all. Value the imaging/staging over anything else. (I guess these are the right words).

Please help me out. Thanks!!

Z4! hit the nail right on the head! Mark builds top-notch tube preamps with phono stages to die for, and seem to be designed especially for Klipsch loudspeakers.

If you're interested in vintage refurbished/modified tube pre's with excellent built-in phono stages, check out Craig at NOSValves.com. Many here have bought old clunkers on eBay or Craigslist for cheap and had Craig rebuild them to like-new condition...members here swear by both Mark and Craig! Check them out.

The post in between yours and his is by z4!....

Although further research reveals that Z-Plan was the final solution for the Gamera problem, involving capturing Gamera into a rocket that was then shot out into space. Little did they realize that Gamera was quite at home in space, and would soon return.

The post in between yours and his is by z4!....

Although further research reveals that Z-Plan was the final solution for the Gamera problem, involving capturing Gamera into a rocket that was then shot out into space.  Little did they realize that Gamera was quite at home in space, and would soon return.

And a search on Pop Culture will reveal that "Z-plane" was what Tattoo would say on Fanasy Island......

Ivzahao:

On a serious note....I see that you have a nice digital music server. What format are your files? are they MP3's or a lossless format?

the reason I ask is that once I started using my Heritage speakers I found that they were so detailed that the MP3's I had were lacking and had to reburn everything lossless....and that with these high sensitivity speakers, the source and source material became the most important factor in the equation.

for me High quaility sources sounded great even with a old crappy AVR hooked up.

Butttttt....If you can swing a Juicy Music line stage you will be very VERY happy!!! They are some of the best sounding, preforming preamps made period!

also a Nos valve rebuilt Scott 222 int. is a thing of beauty....

Ivzahao:

On a serious note....I see that you have a nice digital music server. What format are your files? are they MP3's or a lossless format?

the reason I ask is that once I started using my Heritage speakers I found that they were so detailed that the MP3's I had were lacking and had to reburn everything lossless....and that with these high sensitivity speakers, the source and source material became the most important factor in the equation.

for me High quaility sources sounded great even with a old crappy AVR hooked up.

Butttttt....If you can swing a Juicy Music line stage you will be very VERY happy!!! They are some of the best sounding, preforming preamps made period!

also a Nos valve rebuilt Scott 222 int. is a thing of beauty....

Hi, formats are in lossless of course. Also, if you have a iPhone/iPod touch it's such a enjoyment to control your entire music library using its "Remote" application.

I just checked Scott 222 seems to be quite cheap on ebay. How's Scott 299 in comparison?