Center channel help

CoronaMD

• Moderators

I am asking because I still have to decide on risking used or being safer with new.

If you are buying off Ebay, yes, could be pretty good risk. If buying off Craigslist and you cannot demo the speaker, yes, pretty good risk. If you can find one here in the Garage Section of the forums from a reputable forum member, you have very little to worry about. Most of the guys here treat their speakers with the utmost of care and will be honest up front if there are blemishes in the speaker. BTW, welcome to the forums! We have a great community of guys that are very willing to help out and offer advice so feel free to ask away.

Michael

I have the RF-5s and my first center with them was the RC-3 then I later upgraded to an RC-7. The RC-3 is a very nice center but the RC-7 is much better and an absolutely perfect match to the RF-5s. I would save your money and shop around here and ebay and try to get an RC-7 if at all possible. The RC-7 looks beautiful matching the beautiful wood finish of the RF-5s, the vinyl finish of the RC-3 just does not even compare. The sound match of the RF-5s and RC-7 is the best match I have ever heard, they are perfect together.So if possible get the RC-7 otherwise I would recommend the RC-3 if the RC-7 cannot fit your budget.

Well I found an RC-7 and here is another question.
Long story short, I bought a RC-35 and it fit perfectly were it is going, it
was damaged in shipping so I sent it back. The RC-7 is bigger and the entire top 2” will
be blocked by the upper tier of the TV stand. Will that affect the sound enough
that it would be a waste of money? The untrained part of me says ‘so what you’ll
have an RC-7” but if it is being wasted because its potential is not being
utilized then I should get something smaller. Thank you all so much for the advice.

A picture of your stand and speaker location might help to see exactly what things are like but I think you will be fine even with a slight block. Your settings for center channel volume will probably be able to make up for anything that is lost by the blockage.

Well I have decided on a RC-7. With everyone's help I
found one locally I just need to decide how important the cosmetic condition is
to me. It has scratches and water rings from a glass on it. The price is right;
I just wonder what else could be wrong with it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Michael

• Moderators

I just need to decide how important the cosmetic condition is
to me.

Didn't you say that with your entertainment center, about 2" of the front would be conceiled by the lip of the entertainment center? If so, if the speaker is in good working order, it would be a no brainer for me if it was at a good price. Once you install it, no one will be able to see the top or the bottom scratches. They will only be able to see those sweet 8" woofers in the front and develop a center channel inferiority complex. But bottom line, it's your money and you have to like the way it looks and sounds. If it was going to be displayed on a center channel stand or on top of a small table, that would be a different story. But if the top cannot be seen, I say go for it.

If you can tell me how to post a picture I can show you what

I have. It has a glass top. I know that sound is all that matters but I have to

find the balance between wants and needs. If I knew I could get a nice

maple RC-7 I would relax a little, I just missed one for $450 and would jump on

another one at that price in a heartbeat. (My RF-5’s are maple) I could take this cherry RC-7 and paint/stain

it black, it would hide the chips and water stains and everything else in the

stand is black. I’m currently using RF-5’s an RSW-10d and my center is a tiny

Energy Take 2 something so you see my need to upgrade. My rears are Polk but

that’s a long story and temporary. I guess I just need to chill out because I

am SO excited about all this I can’t stand it.

Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to raise my budget for an RC-7. There is one close to me at a great price, has some scratches and a watermark on the top but I think I can deal with that.

Doesn't colter have an RC-7 that he's selling? You couldn't ask for a better seller.

Well thanks, I obviously don't know how to search a forum. I thought searching for RC-7 in garage sale would show everything but it's a little different. Well I got one $400 like brand new. So if it ships well I'll be VERY happy. If not I'll try here again.Oh, I have a question, can you kill a post or thread or what ever these are called? I'm really new to the forum world and I jost wonder if say I'm done with this topic how do I let people know they don't need to read it? Thanks for all the help.