R-5's

mxr dad

Instead of bringing my old thread up, I just figured I'd start a new one. I posted about finding some R-5's for $400.00 and I was wondering what you guys thought of that price. Not that it would change anything cuz they are in my living room now and I am very happy with them. I was just wondering if that was a good deal, or just an OK deal? They are in perfect condition, not a scratch on them.

Matter of fact, I think I'll play my Pink Floyd Pulse concert right now so I can get "wowed" again. If anyone likes the old stuff, this DVD is incredible with both the sound and the light show.

• 2 weeks later...

What amp do you guys use to drive the RF 5? I have the Yamaha 663 which is only a couple months old and it sounds real good. But I also have a Crown XLS 402 that I hooked up. I didnt see that big of difference. Of course, I'm afraid to crank it up too much, I dont want to hurt my RF 5's. The nice thing with the Crown is it has "clipping" lights that tell you you are pushing too hard. But I just cant get myself to turn it up real loud yet. I'm still nervous. I dont know when enough is enough abd I dont want to see them go up in smoke.

I still skeeered.

I have an onkyo tx sr 805 rated at 130 wp, i have them "bi-amped" and I push them, I think they start to sound better when pushed a little bit extra. At 150 watts rms it would be hard to really push them with that much youd probably be going deaf. On top of that being able to handle dynamics up to 600 watts they're asking to be pushed a little.

Yeah, I agree. Mine are getting cocky with me just daring me to crank them. I walked by them yesterday and I couldve sworn they called me a Wussie!!! They are just asking for it. I think they flipped their nose at me. Why I arda.........................

• Moderators

I totally understand. I do not usually hear voices but I once heard my RF-83's say to me, "Is that all you've got?". Yeah, I think Klipsch speakers are quite confident in themselves. When I hooked up a QSC amp, I was scared to turn it up. I set the dials to 1/4 on both channels. I heard nothing. I found out through the forum that I needed to set it higher for the amp to even kick on. When I opened up the amp, my speakers really opened up and sang!

I just joined the ranks of RF-5 owners.

First of all, I have RF-7s, RF-5s and RF-3s.

First surprise was the size of the FR-5s; closer to the RF-7 than the RF-3!

Second surprise was the sound; closer to the RF-7 than the RF-3!

Next was the overall looks of the RF5s; closer to the RF-7 than the RF-3!

So here is my big surprise, overall the RF-5s seem closer to the RF-7s than the RF-3s!

Lastly, I paid almost 5 times as much for my RF-7s than I paid for my RF-5s.

No way are the 7s worth 5 times as much as the 5s.

My new RF-5s took over for my last set of RF-3s and are now doing duty as rear surrounds in my Reference HT.

My Reference HT ROCKS!

The RF-5 ROCKS.

I am selling off my RF-3s (at crazy low prices) in the garage sale forum.

Glad to hear the 5's are close to the 7's. If I can find the 7's as cheap as I did the 5's, I will grab them. Well, I got tired of the 5's calling me out so I brought the Crown XLS 402 back out and hooked it up. I figured out why I didnt notice a difference between the Yamaha 663 and the Crown. Come to find out one of the wires (Adapted from 1/4 inch) was bad. It would play, but then one speaker would quiet down. Still playing, but really quiet. So I changed the cord, broke out the SPL and cranked that sucker up. First, the clipping lights on the Crown never even tried to light up, so that was good. Second, THESE THINGS FRICKING SOUND GOOD WITH SOME POWER!! The SPL pretty much stayed around 100 with peaks of 106. WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CANT HEAR YOU! I was too skeered to go any higher.

I am so pleased with these things. Its good to get "Wowed" with new / different speakers. My old Eosones were good, but I dont think they could hang with these bad boys. I was listening in Straight Mode (meaning 2 fronts and Powered Subwoofer). I think I will keep the Crown hooked up for a little while.............. nah, for a long while.