can anyone build a custom ET center for me?

InVeNtOr

i am trying to find someone in texas near me that can build me a custom et center. i have found a few shops but they are asking what i think way tooooo much for a simple design. i have the plans all done in CAD. if this is a hobby of anyones and would like to help please drop me a line.

thanks

I built one recently and the cost of wood, glue, stain, and screws, truck rental was over $375. It took me 2 full days over a weekend. I still have edge trimining to do and a final finish coat.

What are you being quoted?

i have a few different designs. the first design i was quoted from $950 to $1100 (maybe $1200).

the newest design i had an inital quote of about $450 (which i would have taken, but i haven't heard back from the guy.) the other quote i received on the same design was $650 for the et center and $225-$250 for stain.

this et center i am thinking of having built is a trapizoid type of a design. it's 57" on the bottom, rises up 9" then slants in so the top is 26"

None of those prices sounds unreasonable for custom work, once you get an idea of the actual work involved on top of the material costs. If your design requires rounded off edges or router cuts, those bits are 22 buck each and don't last long at all.

the issue i have is i have a someone connected to my builder who can build me a et cabinet into my wall. basically he would take 1/3 of a closet and put the shelves in there for me. the cost of that is $300 so it comes down to what i want and whats the best for the pocket book. i was thinking of just putting some type of Ikea cabinet in the closet, but i can't even find that. either my "wormy" skills sucks or it doesn't exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, you got that right. The cost of materials is nill but the tooling and labor is what kills you. I've done plenty to make up for the cost of my tools but the first venture was an expensive one. I had a few in my garage but I slowly added the compressor, nailers, table saw, router (and bits, wow those are expensive), etc. The first project turned out to be a $300 enclosure that cost me $1500+. But tools sure are fun to play with.[:P]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it was finished today! i went by and checked it out. i took a pic of it with my phone, but i can't post that here....well at least i am not smart enough to do so. i am having the stainer pick it up monday, it should take him a week to finish. i was so excited....they actually built it to exactly how i drew it. not even off by 1/8". that place rocks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i know this is old but i wanted to add this....

i didn't design/plan for the ps2 to fit perfectly. i was going to put it where the dvr or modum sat. i was very pleased to see that it fit like a glove in that space. i am also very please to find out this et center will also hold a Wii in the opposite space. it fits there as if i actually planned for it to fit. i haven't bought it yet, i almost got upset at the thought of having a Wii but no room in the new et center.

anyways just wanted to add that. as it stands now this will fit my ps2, Wii, and a ps3 (if i chose that route over a oppo blu-ray).