Another Cornscala - Finished Pics

Guest David H

Guest David H

As soon as I get the new crossovers built, I am going to list the Cornscala's for sale in the Garage sale section to pay for my new router.

Email me if interested.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

Thank you for the kind words.

I agree, you need to buy a house for Cornerhorns rather than buy Cornerhorns for a house. That is precisely why I built these, Smaller footprint, and dont require a corner with nearly the same sound. These actually sound signifigantly better than My Cornerhorns because of my environment. Im sure the trachorns and tweeter didn't hurt.

Guest David H

That really looks superb with the 6 inch wrap around. I might have to give that a go on the next pair. Is there a pic on your web

on how you made the grills?

Those Lascala's are gorgeous, I have alway loved the way they look, but you truly brought them to the next level.

Greg, on your DIY projects what ply are you using? Applet 6 or 8 ply? On this project I purchased some 10 ply on sale,

and you can watch it warp if you take a coffee break.

Guest David H

Hi,will it be ok with speakerlab H350 and K-55-v driver in cornscala?

Thanks Lasse.

The H350 Horn and K-55 will work fine but is too long for the box I built, I suggest to follow the directions By JWCullison here is the link.

This is a nicely detailed layout, very easy to follow. The only thing I didn't find in the directions was port shelf length. I think it is 9 inches

check with JW to be sure.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1071530/cs4.pdf

That really looks superb with the 6 inch wrap around. I might have to give that a go on the next pair. Is there a pic on your web

on how you made the grills?

Those Lascala's are gorgeous, I have alway loved the way they look, but you truly brought them to the next level.

Greg, on your DIY projects what ply are you using? Applet 6 or 8 ply? On this project I purchased some 10 ply on sale,

and you can watch it warp if you take a coffee break.

The grill frames are made just like the Khorn's, only I used a 2 x 6 block instead of a 2 x 4. I used a 1/2" thick motorboard to help with the step-back on the front, and still keep the K-55 inside the tophat. Screw selection for mounting the mid horn is tricky.

From what I understand, it's not how many plies that make a good plywood good, it's what the plies are made of. I've been using a cabinet grade 3/4" birch plywood panel that I think is 7 ply, but the inner plies are made of birch also, and it holds up pretty good. Only a few very small voids and the thickness is very consistent. If the panel is made in the U.S. or Canada, it will be a better panel than if made in the Philipines or some other such location where they are using "junk" wood for the inner plies. Apparently these operations are pretty crude, turning out plywood under thatch roof huts! Quality control and quality of wood is not good.

I've been told that Baltic birch is also usually a good panel. It's usually a 5' x 5' panel. Russian made? I can't remember.

There are sources for Premium plywood panels. Atlantic Plywoods has a panel they sell called Europly, 3/4" 13-ply, $120 per 4' x 8' sheet, 2007 price.

Greg

Hi,will it be ok with speakerlab H350 and K-55-v driver in cornscala?

Thanks Lasse.

The H350 Horn and K-55 will work fine but is too long for the box I built, I suggest to follow the directions By JWCullison here is the link.

This is a nicely detailed layout, very easy to follow. The only thing I didn't find in the directions was port shelf length. I think it is 9 inches

check with JW to be sure.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1071530/cs4.pdf

Here is the cut sheet to make the cabinets like I did. The instructions for the build is the link above. Good luck.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1117459/woodorderallgrill.pdf

jc

Guest David H

JW, you make it to easy.

BTW, I built the new crossovers, I had to change the mid cap to 14uf and move up the autoformer to deal with the 100+db woofer. The HF section I left alone, other than running it heads up.

I used Dayton 1% caps til I can upgrade. This crossover works well, much better low level detail than the AA I was using.

post-24405-13819426019674_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest David H

I have ben working on a Cornscala for a freind of mine using an 8watt 300B Aural Thrills amp. Because of the limited power Johnny 5 wanted to maximize the Cornscala's spl. To maximise the spl, he chose an 8 ohm 101.6 db woofer http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-502 As scheptical as I was the curiosity was killing me. The woofer listed as a Sound Tech is actually a Eminance Delta Pro 15.

I modified the crossover, and installed the woofer on one speaker only so I could a/b, the difference was immediately evident. The bass was excellent and blended well with the rest of the speaker. The mid is a K-55 on a trachorn and the tweeter is a JBL 2404. Overall the combination is a winner and absolutely cranks on a measly 8 watts. I was pleasantly surprised to find the bass is on this Eminance seems overall cleaner than a 31year old K33. Age may be a factor. Note although this woofer works good in a Bass reflex box, the QTS at .40 would be less than desireable in a horn enclosure.

So far I have used the APT 150 super tweeter successfully $30 each , and now the Eminance Delta Pro $90 each on Cornscala's with good results. Now I need to find a good low $$$ midrange driver, that will perform near as good as the K-55 to finish my recipe for a low priced 104db per watt Cornscala. Any Ideas????

Now I need to find a good low $$$ midrange driver, that will perform near as good as the K-55 to finish my recipe for a low priced 104db per watt Cornscala. Any Ideas????

I believe groomlakearea51 has used Seleniums with good results. I don't remember the model offhand.