Another Cornscala - Finished Pics

Guest David H

Guest David H

My newest project, a split box Cornscala. I am using the woofer from a Speakerlab K dont know much about it, I assume it is similar to the K33, but seems to have more bass possibly a higher spl. for the mids I am using K55 with DIY Trachorns and APT 150 supertweeters. So far they sound quite good, although will be an eyesore for the next few weeks til I make time to build the top boxes and veneer.

I want to thank all of the forum member that helped out by answering questions and posting their experiances.

Thanks to ALK, Bob Crites, Big thanks to JW Cullison for Xover and info, etc etc... Here are some pics.

post-24405-13819418363942_thumb.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

On to the testing. initial impression overall good, I dont have the newest xovers done I am currrently using a 1st order made from spare parts. I will post more pics as I build the top cabs later this week.

post-24405-13819418395474_thumb.jpg

Nice work. I have a pair of Bob's CT125s in my LaScalas, and really like them. I recently acquired a pair of APT150s, which use the same driver, and just for grins, I hooked them up to my LS, resting them on some foam on the tops. I also moved them back to be aligned with the K55.

The difference is amazing! The sound is huge, probably for a couple of reasons. The 100x50 horn is great in my room, and the time alignment does wonders. I'm not sure how much farther back the mid would need to go to line up with the woofer, but I am tempted to make some baffles to mount these more permanently.

Bruce

" I am using the woofer from a Speakerlab K dont know much about it, I assume it is similar to the K33"

Check the impedence, most of those were 8 ohms. You will need to make certain for xover calculations.

Guest David H

I am having a good time, I hope to have the top cabs built by thursday, I will post more pics.

JW, did you notice any additional gain from the mid horn when changing the K600 to the altec 511? I did another conversion using my DIY trachorn for a freind and needed to step down the autoformer and change the 7uf to a 3.5uf I am assuming your calculations for the k55 is 12.5 ohms. is this correct?

Guest David H

Some have said before that the K55 may sound louder on the 511. I really never noticed this.

I think the K55 is about 13 ohms.

jc

I think this might be the case with the trachorn as it is considerably larger than the K600 more testing and I will know for sure. Thanks