yamaha or M&K for sub??

onemike

Hello!

I posted this question in the home theater forum and got the advice to post it here also. I´m thinking of buying a new sub since I sold my Acoustic Research 500. I didn´t think that this sub had "a personality" so to speak. It wasn´t clear and crisp in it´s sound. Anyway, i´m now looking towards the Yamaha YST-SW800 and the very small K-9 from M&K. So, do you guys outthere have any personal experience or just thoughts about these two, please let me know. How are they with music and home theater? I now have KLF 20´s, RC-3 and KSP S6´s as speaker setup. A Denon 3802 will supply the power. Looking forward to your inputs. Mike!

WHAT?!?! WHAT

You have the Klipsch KLF20's and you want to add a M&K K9 or Yamaha SW800!

First the M&K K9 is not a true subwoofer since it does NOT have any output below 30Hz to speak of.TN reviewed this sub and concluded the same...NO TRUE BASS.End of story

The Yamaha SW800 will reash around 25Hz but is weak around 20Hz and the KLF20's deserve much better.

Still if you have to make a choice(at gun point)I would get the Yamaha.Its an OK sub,just ok and nothing earth shattering.

Again let me point out SVS CS or CS Plus subs,one of these will put the Yamaha and the M&K six feet under.

The SVS will hit 20Hz and with true power and definition.

Just my two cents

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thank you for your input.

It´s not easy here in Sweden to find the right brands. As always in the U.S everything is more available to the customer than over here. As I got a complaint from my landlord when I had my 15" Acoustic I thought I´d better find something smaller but still powerful and these two came up as a good buy. The SVS is as hard to find over here as there would be to find a raindrop in the Sahara desert. See ya. Mike

You can only buy SVS subs from their site.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com

Of course the shipping might be very expensive. Frown.gif

After shipping and the exchange rate, ordering an SVS from Canada isn't exactly cheap. For the price of a 20-39PC, I can buy 2 Paradigm (Canadian made Smile.gif ) PW-2200's or a Servo 15.

But don't let this discourage you from buying SVS. I haven't heard a single complaint on their performance. Smile.gif

FLASH UPDATE 2.0

Why not get an M&K K10 and after add a K11(no joke)this new micro M&K are about the same size as the K9 with better driver and more output.Plus there is some output near 20Hz!

I would take the M&K K10 and later add a K11(would make a MX700 if you will).

For a few dollars more(like $50)do yourself a favor and get the K10.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

M&K is truly nice, heard the 350MKII and "musically"...

wow.

Paradigm, quite good, hey, 12 years in existance and 12 years "Product of the Year"....economical, a bit bright...IMO.

The 2200 is nice, love the 1200 and 1000, mind you, looks like an end table and only vents out the back, but a nice "musical" sub, kicked the s*** out of the KSW line....IMO, heard them side by side. Smile.gif

To add for Oogs, check out Monsoon, built in China, but a "Canadian" design(BC), not electrostat like Logans, but that ribbon design is something, sounds good! Great reviews(Stereophile), and when I saw them I asked my Dealer who brought the snowboards in! Smile.gif

Still, the RF3II's smoke the Para's(Monitors or Reference) and Monsoon, but the Monsoon Pro Media system competes to Klipsch's Pro Media (2.1 & 4.1), better than LabTec Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 02-07-2002 at 03:21 AM

Boomer,

What did you say...the Paradigm 100a dn 1200 subs are musical?!

Give me a break,these band pass brutes are as musical as a B52 bomber flying over your house.

Had the Paradigm 800 and 1000 when I started in audio and sold these within two months.NOT MUSICAL and one notey HT subs.Not for music or quality speakers.

The PW2200 is ok,again its a giant HT value and good(nothing more for music).

As for the M&K 350THX its an awesome music sub,its a top contender for most muysical sub ever made.The whloe M&K line is fast and accurate(minus the deepest of the deep bass).

TheEAR(s) Now theears