Outlaw audio 7125 for rf-83's?

darthdave

I just bought an XPA-5 for the front 5 channels, and will be buying a UPA-2 when it's released for the rear 2, since there's far less info and dynamics happening on those.

I'm VERY impressed with the sound from the XPA-5 - since my theater is not done yet, I temporarily hooked it up to just my KLF-20 fronts and C7 center, and was blown away by the dynamics it unleashed from them.

Previously, I was running it from an Outlaw 1050 receiver, which was a noticable step up from my Pioneer "165wx5" receiver .

I'm a total convert over to the Emotiva brand from Outlaw. Outlaw's pricing has moved them away from what made me like them so much - great quality at a fantastic price - now they're too expensive to have that title.

Plus, IMO, the Emotiva stuff just LOOKS nicer.

you could also buy the upa-7 and bi-amp the front 3 speakers and get 125w per tweeter and woofer. that amp is only $649. (you would actually get 135w per channel since you would only use 6 of those channels....) i don't know what you are using on the remaining 4 channels but then you could get another upa-7. that way you would end up getting 150w per those 4 channels. all for $1300, thats much better than 1 amp at $1700.

just my 2 cents

• Moderators

Plus, IMO, the Emotiva stuff just LOOKS nicer.

That has always been my thought. Emotiva does look sweet, stylish and you just gotta love the blue light. [:P] I would love to hook up an XPA-5 to my RF-83's and RC-7 and soon to be purchased, RS-62's.

Is there any particular reason not to get the mps-2? It has a supposedly more efficient class h powersupply and its 100 bucks less than the combo of the other two. The only thing you would lose is 50 watts a peice on the front two channels, At 250 rms 200 watts should be plenty much for the rf-83s. Yea these amps do have a pretty mint price range.

Glad to hear that you love the XPA-5 with the RF-83's. I started off with a Sony receiver with my RF-83's then upgraded to an Outlaw 7100 then to my current Outlaw 750. Now the difference between the Sony and Outlaw was night and day. Then even a little better with the upgrade of wpc from 100 to 165 with the Outlaw stuff.

I am thinking about another upgrade and if I do it will be to the Emotiva brand and the XPA-5 and the new processor.

James

• Moderators

You will definitely not hear a difference in 50 watts. You have to double the watts to get a 3db increase in sound. They probably have different technology. The 3 channel is designed to run your front three speakers (at least that's what I would use it for). I believe some of their amps have separate transformers per channel which is great, not sure which ones have that though. I haven't studied them that much since I'm not ready to buy one at this point. The external amp will be one of the last things that I buy, I need a lot of other things first (projector, screen, seating, lighting lol).

• Moderators

i will go with that when i get the cash. Dave ramsey is sitting here on my shoulder lol.

"Cash is king" and "Live like no one else so that one day you can live like no one else". End of December, we should be debt free. I'm gonna give Dave a call when we do. [:D]

Thats awesome man! Hooray for debt freeness so we can buy more Home theater stuff.I currenlt own two houses and both are for sale and whichever one sells I will be debt free at that point. So now I just have to wait for the market to come back. Hey anyone wanna buy yourself a camp on 17 acres of beautiful Maine woods with a stream and moose and deer and everything? I will cost about the same as some of the theaters in the gallery! lol

The MPS-2 is a Class H design, and has a smoother, more laid-back sound, whereas the XPA line is a "in your face" kind of sound, according to Emotiva.

If you like classical, traditional jazz, and the like, the MPS would be your ticket..

If you like Rock & Roll, music with electronics (like synthesized bass), home theater, etc.. I think an XPA-5 & 2-channel would be your best bet - that could either be my route of the XPA-5 and UPA-2 with the 2-channel for channels 6&7, or the XPA-5 & XPA-2 combo, with the XPA-2 for the mains.

IMO (and this is just me), bi-amping is over-rated in today's world of amplification. In theory I see the benefit, but when you have quality amplifiers with the kind of headroom these Outlaw's and Emotiva's have, one has to wonder if there's a real benefit for the money..

Example- I don't see that 2x UPA-7's would match the sonic quality of a single MPS-2, or either one of my 5+2 combos above... especially on Klipsch speakers that are quite efficient...

By the way, they're doing free shipping right now on everything... would save ya some bucks for sure on the XPA..

My enclosure for my subs isn't done yet, so I'm running my KLF-20's full-range, and we watched a few movies last weekend, and it's amazing how BIG these speakers can sound when fed good power.. and the other speakers can keep up just fine, and NEVER get harsh.

My wife has NEVER been happy with me playing movies very loud (sensitive ears), but we had it cranked and she didn't complain at all, even when I asked her. That says a lot!