Older (1970)Klipsch vs Newer (1990)

dklowery

Does any know if there is big difference in sound quality of the newer Klipsch say 1990 + ( Horns/Belles/LaScala) vs the same model made in the 1970's.

The selling price seem to be about the same regardless of date made.

So my question is, in order to achieve a higher quality or better sound by up to date Klipsch standards, do the 1970 models need an electronic upgrade (cross-overs,caps, etc) to compare with the models that were made from 1990 to date?

All experience input in welcomed.

Thanks..

My official answer: I don't know

Unofficially [;)], my understanding is, PWK in his later years, started to become interested/intrigued with steeper sloped networks. Did they ever incorporate any of that into their speakers? Dunno

If they did then that might be a difference.

My opinion is, as long as the cabinet is of sound structure, you can pretty much do what you want to do, all a matter of spending enough money.

for the most part, 1970's era versions had k-55-v alinco single slot phase plug, k-77 alinco versions, and AA xovers.

1990's versions have version 3 xovers along with their ceramic counter part drivers (k-55-m, k-77-m, etc).

the sound is signifcantly different between earlier and later versions. Some folks prefer the earlier....some the later.

I'd think the older ones having more plywood instead of mdf would make some difference in sound, but I can only guess as to whether or not it would be for the better or for the worse. And yes, the crossovers and drivers have changed over the years, so that has to make an audible difference. But is it a "big difference"? I've never A-B'd old and new, so I can't say.

My opinion on whether older speakers need upgraded to newer specs is this: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! And that dictum could be extended to include sound quality. In other words, if it sounds good enough that you're happy with it and you have no proof a specific change would actually translate into better sound, then why bother?

The basic design of the Heritage models has not changed. The newer ones have different crossovers and/or drivers. IMO a crossover upgrade, either replacing the capacitors or re-doing the entire crossover, makes the biggest change if the drivers are OK. There are several guys on this forum that can help with crossovers or replacement drivers/diaphragms.

Either version is improved by upgrading the crossovers. I like my '76 Khorn's better than any of the newer models I've heard that haven't had a comparable upgrade. All else being equal, I'd have to A/B models that have different drivers and cabinets to see if I prefer one over the other or if I even notice a significant difference. A/B'ing is not an easy thing to do with Khorns. I know some folks here have swapped old for new and vice-versa. Maybe one of those folks will chime in.

Thanks for all your input, you guys are awesome.

My other question is concerning the same make and models of Klipsch speakers. (Horns,Belles,Lascalas).

In the older models (1970's and below) is the mid and bass section as pronouced and power as the newer models (1990+) with the original cross-overs and drivers in the speaker?

The reason I am asking these questions, I have owned a pair of Khorns for over 20 years now that I bought in the 80's with all original equipment. The more I play them the better they sound and can compete with any speaker in any price range on the market today.

My concern is that I am in the market to purchase a pair of Belles or La Scalas to add to my current system and want to make sure that the quality of the sound is on the same standards that was built into my Khorns.

I prefer the stronger pronounce bass and mid section sound that was built into the year and model that I am currently using.

I don't know if the older models (1970's) were built to produce the same type of sound as the newer models. So I don't want to buy the first pair of Belles or La Scalas that I see and be disappointed with the sound.

However, at this point, you almost have to buy what ever you can find when you see them available regardless of the age of the speaker.

One thing you can do is refer to this article for the components in the various years of the K-Horn http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/46305.aspx?PageIndex=1 is is good reading in any event.

I can't say that the Belle and LS of similar years had the same driver components . But check http://www.klipschcorner.com/special/BelleKlipschTimeline.aspx Damon's website is more than excellent and a rich source of information.

Overall, I believe your understandable concern is somewhat not worth handwringing. The Belle and LS (I) have had the same plywood construction over their history. OTOH there are people who report differences, as others have said above.

There may be some issues of the woofer despite the identical model numbers. Bob Crites is able to comment on that.

Also, the metal K-400 midrange was replaced by the composite 401 on the K-Horn (and LS) and in the Belle the K-500 was replaced by the composite 501 (and maybe 502?). The LS and Belle have had a number of different crossovers.

It is also well known that the Atlas driver had the push button terminal type (one-piece phase plug) and the solder terminal (two-piece phase plug). There is some difference in measured performance.

I can only think that if you want a close cousin to your K-Horns, you're going to have to check your components and then the components of what you're buying.

I hope you're not disapointed in the Belle or LS. They are wonderful but they don't go down as deep as the K-Horn. There is no year of production which makes that any different.

Wm McD

I listened to (a) my 1979 K'horns with original AA crossovers, until about 2-3 years ago when I had Bob Crites recap the crossovers. Difference? Brought them back to "spec", and I could tell the difference immediately. They suddenly sounded like they did when I bought them and carted them all over Europe and the US until a few years ago. Lately I replaced the old K-77 tweeters with a pair of CT-125's and there was a noticeable improvement in the upper mids and highs. They now reside in my son's room.

Then (B) 1987 K'horns with the original AK2 crossovers for a couple years (same room as the the originals). Compared to the originals, they sounded awful.... Last year I bit the bullet and had Bob convert the crossovers to AK-3's and replaced the tweeters with CT-125's. Now they sound good as the original 79's, but the sound is, as speakerfritz mentioned, "different". Not better, per se, just different. They reside in my wife's "Wall of Boudoir" with a pair of 78' LaScalas (also with A/AA's from Bob and a piar of CT-125's. Very good "matched" sound.

Then © the 78' K-horns, but.... they were/ are a "working project" and I test drivers, crossover mods, etc. Currently in an (a) vs (B) vs © in the same room, same amps, etc., they are the best sounding of the pairs. See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109618.aspx

But.... in the "testing room" room are a pair of 78 Belles as the "centers". No mods except crossovers are now Bob's A/AA's.

I have tried several different combinations with all of the K-horn pairs. I've used Cornwalls, LaScala's, Heresy's, etc., but the Belles work better (using identical amplifiers) with the K'horns in my application in that room. That being said, so do the LaScala's, but they now "belong" to my wife in the MBR and to even think about swapping them out would result in sudden death....

I have listened to "modern" K-horns, Cornwalls, etc. They sound very good, and since I cannot really remember how something sounded 25 years ago....

I would suspect that the better choice is going to be based on the price. Above all, especially with LS's, Belles, etc. you need to listen to them before buying them.

Vintage? Like a number have mentioned, unless already done, crossovers will need new caps, and eventually you may very well think about a crossover system with steep slopes, or different newer drivers.

Regardless, listen to whatever you finally decide upon for at least a couple months before replacing things.

Good luck, and happy hunting!!