Finally! Blue Ray on my HT!

Rudy81

I broke down today and got the new Panasonic DMP BD-55. This player, like the new Sony has analog out for 7.1 with player HD audio processing. This allows me to keep my older audio gear (non-HDMI). The player has thus far worked perfectly. Excellent BD video, SD DVD upconvert, and decoding of all HD audio formats. Sound is amazing via analog. If you have been looking at spending a bundle on a new processor (HDMI) give a thought to just getting one of the new players.

• Moderators

I don't like your advice Rudy! [:P] I've got my eye on a Yamaha RX-V1800 that is 6 months old that I can pick up for $500.00 and you want to tell me to hold onto my current Onkyo? But I really wanna new one. [:D] Actually, that is good to know. I've always used either Toslinc or Digital Coax with my system. I would rather not have 8 rca cables but it's probably cheaper than me buying a $500 receiver unless I can sell mine. I can't wait to get my system put together. Congrats on the new gear and thx for sharing!

Thank you. I need to post some updated pictures. I only posted this to let folks know that the new BD players work well. I originally tried the HTPC route, but that was a giant waste of time and money. I do use the PC for lossless storage of my music collection. But, for BD video it very buggy and not at all user friendly.

I have been staring at having to replace my HALO C2 in order to get HDMI processing and switching. The new C3 will do that, but another $3k investment just for that is hard to justify. So, this works great.

• 1 month later...

Is the HD sound much of animprovement over plain DD or DTS?

Yes!

That's good. I was wondering how much better it would sound. Except that getting 7.1 analog out adds $100 to the price and forces me to choose between my SACD player and those codecs. I think I'll forgo the 7.1 analog outs and will hear what I was missing in about a year when I decide to upgrade my h/k avr-325 to something with HDMI. The $100 saved not buying analog outs and another $150 or so for an 4x2 HDMI switch is $250 already saved towards that receiver.