Speaker Wire

Gerald Hammers

I have a middle of the road system.I use 16 guage lamp cable for my speaker runs. How important is it to upgrade to monster cable and will I notice any difference?I am using a newcastle R956 receiver,Paradigm monitor 11s main speakers along with Klipcsh subwoofer and Infinity center speaker/rear.Thanks Jerry

ah, the most controversial topic in audio, i myself use monster twisted pair for my home theatre & it works just fine, you might not notice any difference at all, if you really want to try some nice wire that is cost effective try dh labs silver sonic t-14, you can't beat it for the price, many on line dealers sell it by the foot, i have a smaller setup i use this for & its great, especially for longer runs. fine wire will bring out the best of any system, will you hear it, only you will know for sure.

Gerald,

I upgraded my heavy lamp cord after a dozen years to Monster cable and liked the "different difference" at the time. Then I traded the older Monster for the newer cable and liked that "different difference" also. However, back then I was using a massive Class A solid state reference amp with .001% THD, so all sorts of tweaks got my attention as I tried to make things "right". I even doubled the wire and felt a "different difference." Since then I have gotten a pair of flea-powered 2A3 tube monoblocks. All the little tweaks no longer matter as much to me. I am currently looking at low cost silver and single strand speaker cables now.

In the January 2000 issue of Audio magazine, ("don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got, 'till its gone") D.B. Keele Jr on page 51 says Klipsch speaker cables need to have low-inductance. The Klipsch RB5 bookshelf speakers are super-efficient at 95-dB, but have a weak bottom at 100 Hz. He said their "impedance range was 3.7 to 41 ohms. For the RB5 or RP3, you would need to limit the cable series resistance to 0.05 ohm or less to keep cable drop effects from causing response peaks and dips greater than 0.01 dB. For a typical run of about 10 feet, that would correspond to a 14-guage (or heavier), low-inductance cable."

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

I bought some Audioquest Indigo Bi-wires for my KLF-30's. I have tried the Monster cables and the Indigo's seem to be better. Since I have had the speakers less than a week it would be unwise to use that as a scientific analysis. Anyway the company has some interesting theory on speaker wire www.audioquest.com

Oh by the way...I paid $87 for two 7 ft cables. Seemed cheap compared to other cables.

This message has been edited by Michael Greenway on 02-03-2002 at 12:34 AM

Klipsch speakers love Kimber Cable... at least mine do cwm16.gif

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Adcom GCD-700 CD Player

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects