College people and their subs.

Jay481985

Why is an electrical engineer working at Best Buy?

When I was just out of engineering school I had years and years of hands on fabrication and design experience. That said, I realized that my degree did not prepare me to practice and I learned from others who had quite a bit of experience. There were drafters who had been doing this for 25 years. I was really nice to them and they taught me a lot. A lot of unusual situations come up where you just do not knwo what teh result wil be. Its nice to have others who have went through it to help.

Back to business, where are them panties everyone is talking about?[6]

Ugh... I have far too many stories that sound just like this. I'm half ashamed to show my face in public when I say I work for Best Buy home theater.

My one former coworker (a fairly talented singer and not-so-talented 'sound engineer') once directed my customers away from purchasing a Synergy C2 for their F2 set up, and instead reccommended a Bose VCS-10 center. His logic was as follows and I quote: "The center channel speaker is used primarily to reproduce the human voice, and the Bose center channel has smaller woofers, which are much better at reproducing the frequencies of the human voice."

We didn't speak much in the following weeks.

Electrical engineer. WOW I am in awe of his knowledge.

Just him arguing about a "sub" being crossed this high tells me he needs to learn to stay in his field. A sub woofer is a woofer responsible for reproducing the frequency below a simple woofer.In this case commonly 80Hz. Anything over 100Hz starts to get quite directional. I hope this engineer has more know how in his field or serious accidents will happen.This fella has little concept about directivity!

A crossover point of ~250Hz is very directional,250Hz would be from a woofer to midrange. Even bass modules are crossed lower! High crossover points are used in cheap PC speakers as the sub is not capable of much below 50Hz and the sats use 2" full range drivers limited to 1-1.5mm of Xmax.

Electrical engineer. WOW I am in awe of his knowledge.

Just
him arguing about a "sub" being crossed this high tells me he needs to
learn to stay in his field. A sub woofer is a woofer responsible for
reproducing the frequency below a simple woofer.In this case commonly
80Hz. Anything over 100Hz starts to get quite directional. I hope this
engineer has more know how in his field or serious accidents will
happen.This fella has little concept about directivity!

A
crossover point of ~250Hz is very directional,250Hz would be from a
woofer to midrange. Even bass modules are crossed lower! High crossover
points are used in cheap PC speakers as the sub is not capable of much
below 50Hz and the sats use 2" full range drivers limited to 1-1.5mm of
Xmax.

Not to nitpick, but I think you
mean "localization"...not "directional". Directivity is a measure of
polar response. Localization is a measure of how well a person can
detect where a sound is coming from (which is usually the issue with
mono subwoofer applications and high xover points).

For what it's worth, I've been in
situations where the subwoofers were correctly crossed above
150Hz...which is why I was curious about his reasoning. Note that it's
plural subwoofers - not mono. I would argue that serious high-fi
systems aren't implementing mono subwoofage - so localization actually
ends up being a non-issue in the ideal...

WOW!!! That is wrong on so many levels. Isnt it ironic how the gal in the green got modest and had to wear a "cloth" over her bikini area?Also, check out the girl on the picture left and how she is holding the fat from the "modest" girl so it doesnt touch her. That my friends is PRICELESS.

PS. Why is there a pregnant woman in the photo?

Localisation it is. However a "sub" crossed above 150Hz is a bass module. I the pro audio world "subs" roll of sharply from 30Hz down. These are used in the woofer's range and since they work as a team with larger sats mounted on top or sit spread below the mains it is fine.

In a home system a crossover point this high (over 150Hz)simply does not make sense. Since when would anyone serious use sats not capable of a a solid 80Hz extension??? I am always refering to home systems,as this is not the pro audio section.Even with all my subs spread across the fron and side walls I cross no lower than 80Hz,as it stands at 60Hz.

The ideal crossover point sits where the mains/sats are not stressed by LF signal(even close to the max XPL they are capable of) and the sub(s) can not be locaised (blend in perfectly).Only tiny sats work better with a higher crossover point.