Budget Home Theater...need your input...

SilverSport

I have been downsizing some things and one of them is Home Theater...

I am thinking of going with either a two channel stereo receiver/integrated with full range Mains and that is it or possibly with an older, less expensive (told you I was downsizing [;)] ) 6.1 receiver (possibly Outlaw Audio 1050) and Mains with a Center...no rear speakers...

I would ask your opinions:

2 channel vintage stereo receiver/integrated (I already have plenty) perhaps nicer quality than todays low budget receivers and I already have them...but they are only 2 channel

Older model 6.1 or so Home Theater Receier...I don't need the latest and greatest formats...just Dolby Digital or DTS...I won't have rear speakers so...buying used is less expensive and there are plenty to choose from...

If I go the two speaker Mains and that is it, full range is a must and they need to dig somewhat deep, right???...I have Klipsch Quartets I could use or your thoughts on the relatively easy to find an inexpensive kg4s or kg5.5s?

Both of the above peakers go into the 30s for lows with the kg4s being 94 dB and the kg5.5s being 98dB efficiency

the 6.1 receiver allows me to add more speakers or a sub in the future if I decide or to run a Cneter with the two Mains (set to large in any event)...

Please share with me your thoughts or if there are any flaws in my crazy logic...

Thanks,

Bill

your talking about having either....front 3 (lh rh center), front 2, and both set ups with no sub? well if thats the case have you looked into a Soundbar?

me personally having just the front 2 would be fine. if you get a 5.1 or 6.1 receiver and hook it up, then while a movie plays you won't hear the rear channels at all. i think it would be better to hear everything out of the front 2 then just a portion of the movie in the front 3. then again you can get a Soundbar and get it all. depends on the budget and what you actually plan on buying.

downsizing so budget is small...under $1000.00 for EVERYTHING...listening to 2 channel movies with just the left and right Mains running full (set to Large) will be better than running the left and right Mains set to Large with a Center using a multichannel receiver (with the rears off)???...No sub plans...for now.

This is what I need to know...thanks for the response so far...

Bill

• Moderators

Older model 6.1 or so Home Theater Receier...I don't need the latest and greatest formats...just Dolby Digital or DTS

What is your budget for a receiver? I'm selling my Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR703 DTS receiver. It's 2 years old, has amp preouts. I upgraded to a receiver that has the new audio formats and HDMI inputs. PM me if you want more info.

With the addition of the center channel, the dialog is so much clearer. I think I have heard that something like 90% of the movie goes thru the center. I could easily live without the rears.

Alot of the used recievers that you can pick up have surround effects programs that do not use rears. I can't say how good they are, but on a budget?

...well, here's to hoping that my luck holds...it appears that I am the new owner of a perfect (boxes, literature and everything) pair of Klipsch kg5.5s in Black painted Oak...my little brother picked them up for me and he is listening to them as we speak...says they sound great...

I also am the new owner of a Black KLF-C7 Center...not the perfect match but a very nice Center in its own right...

I am waiting on receiving (no pun) a very nice Outlaw Audio 1050 6.1 receiver...

I had not yet sold my KSP-S6s for rear surrounds so I might hang onto them...so in a way I have downsized from my previous Home Theater but come back with a decent little set up...I guess it wasn't meant for me to be Home Theaterless for too long...thanks for all the help, I know it was an imposition but I appreciate all the feedback...

Bill

When I went from a 5.1 system to a 2.1 system, I simply went into the menu section of my DVD player and changed the speaker configuration, and therefore not losing and information by not having rear speakers (or a center speaker). All the info is mixed in to the mains.

Bill,

What's up with the HT setup? I remember the all Heresy, that I got to listen to, then the post about changing that up. Now again, man you really do have this sickness... [:P]

Which ever setup you end up with I am sure it will sound great, it is Klipsch after all.

My advise pump some music thru those K-Horns and sit back and relax.

James

BTW, how about a Chicago gathering.