Subwoofer and Speaker Settings Help

djnenenyc

Hello. Noob here needing help adjusting speaker settings on receiver.

Quick breakdown of system. 52" samsung LCD...Onkyo 606...Speakers, Synergy B-2, C-2, S-1 , including Sub10.

Ok so here's where i need help.

Want to try settings numerous people on here have adviced as far as setting speakers to SMALL and crossover to 80Hz on receiver and on the Subwoofer turning dial all the way to 120Hz. I went ahead and did that, then i calibrated speakers using Onkyo's Audissey Calibration. Now, I cant seem to find the "SMALL/LARGE" speaker setting on the Onkyo receiver. Results for the Speakers after calibration set them at 120Hz. Is this the equivalent to a "SMALL" speaker setting? And if speakers are set at 120Hz do i still keep Subwoofer crossover at 80Hz on receiver?

Just a bit lost or confused and your advice will be greatly appreciated and NEEDED =)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as your receiver's setting go, I can't help you there. I have a Pioneer, and have never even played around with an Onkyo. You should plug your sub cable into the LFE input on your sub. And when you do this, the crossover settng on your sub is "bypassed". Basically, useless. THAT'S what the 80 HZ setting is on your receiver. Hope this helps..

Klipsch lists the C2 low frequency 'cutoff' at 82Hz, the B2 as 62Hz and the S1 as 95Hz.

Considering those specs, I would adjust the C2 to 90Hz, B2 to 80Hz and S1 to 100Hz. You might want to spend time adjusting your sub's crossover between 80 and 100Hz and see what setting sounds best to your ears.

Onkyo's don't have a specific Small or Large speaker setting, they let you adjust the 'size' of the speaker by specifying the crossover frequency cutoff point.

After running Audyssey it measured my center speaker at being 2 feet away from me when in actuality its 9+ feet. You might want to go into the receiver's menu and make sure all the measurements it took are accurate. I've found Audyssey does a good job at measuring a speaker's interactions in the room and EQ'ing them properly but when it comes to speaker distance and speaker crossover settings I don't trust it very much.

Wuzzer is spot on djnene, I would adjust the crossover settings on your onkyo so that they compliment the Frequency Response of the speakers you have (as listed on the klipsch website or use the figures Wuzzer gave). Speakers will actually go lower than their FR specifies but with roll off (or loss of SP at those lower frequencies). I would set the C2 at 80Hz the B2 at 80Hz ( and try lowering it to 60 Hz or 70Hz and see which you like best for bass response) and for the sub change it just as wuzzer said between 80 and 100Hz and see what blends the best.

also Onkyo's Audyssey setup is sometimes accurate other times not so accurate. It usually gets distance about spot on but crossover settings are all over the place for me. One day it'll set my RF5s to full band and other times it sets them to 100hz, Same goes with center and surrounds. Sub is usually off give or take 5 ft.

So Audyssey is nice to get a start, see how it does and if you dont like it, adujust it.

Want to try settings numerous people on here have adviced as far as setting speakers to SMALL and crossover to 80Hz on receiver and on the Subwoofer turning dial all the way to 120Hz. I went ahead and did that, then i calibrated speakers using Onkyo's Audissey Calibration. Now, I cant seem to find the "SMALL/LARGE" speaker setting on the Onkyo receiver. Results for the Speakers after calibration set them at 120Hz. Is this the equivalent to a "SMALL" speaker setting? And if speakers are set at 120Hz do i still keep Subwoofer crossover at 80Hz on receiver?

As pointed out, ONKYOs do not really offer a SMALL and LARGE setting. Only crossover settings. If a crossover is used, it implies a SMALL setting.

Does your ONKYO allow you to set different crossover settings for each speaker set (fronts, center, and surrounds) or not?

And when you say "subwoofer crossover at 80Hz on receiver" are you describing the "LPF of LFE" setting? If so, this is not a "subwoofer crossover". It dictates a high-cut for the LFE channel information. Audyssey does NOT adjust this setting. 80Hz is the default setting. The LFE channel can contain info as high as 120Hz, so I do not know why this setting defaults to 80Hz on ONKYOs, but it does. On several other manufacturer's AVRs that include this setting, the default is 120Hz. The ONKYO manual probably states that it is set at 80Hz to avoid unwanted hum, but I have never heard of anyone having this issue. The usual reason that I have seen cited for needing to lower this setting below 120Hz is to avoid subwoofer localization in certain special cases. I would set this setting to 120Hz as I see no reason to unnecessarily truncate the LFE channel at 80Hz. If you suspect that setting it at 120Hz creates some problem that you are able to alleviate by lowering it, then use the lower setting.

You should plug your sub cable into the LFE input on your sub. And when you do this, the crossover settng on your sub is "bypassed".

According to the manual, the "Line In/LFE" input on a Sub10 and Sub12 does NOT bypass the sub's variable low-pass filter (its 'crossover'). For this reason, the sub's variable low-pass filter (its 'crossover') should be set as high as possible (unfortunately, it's only 120Hz in this case) when the crossover function is being performed by the receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, turn the Sub-10's crossover switch to 120Hz or whatever the highest is that it will go.

As was mentioned, play some bass heavy music and sit where you normally would to listen to your system. Have someone switch back and forth between 0 and 180 on the phase and use whichever one has more bass output. If both positions sound basically the same leave it at 0.