The Ultimate Cornwall Mod / Derivative - Tom?

INDEED.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This minnow is going to jump in with the big fish.

Mobile's original premise was not to change the enclosure, but the thread has drifted that direction.

I've been giving some thought for several weeks to constructing a test Cornwall enclosure out of 3/4" Corian, retaining the original dimensions, and using Roger Floth's stiffening recomendations. This would result in an enclosure weight (sans speakers) of about 136 lbs (without Roger's mods) compared to a stock weight of 73 lbs (an estimate on my part).

I am prepared for "INCOMING" slings and arrows.

Mike

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 02-04-2002 at 08:51 PM

mdeneen,

To my knowledge this has never been done or even expressed anywhere. I believe it to be an original thought, if I am capable of that. As I said, I have been thinking about this for several weeks (6 0r7) and this is the first time I have shared the thought publicly, other than one close experienced audio friend, locally. He didn't breakout laughing. Our discussion centered on how much it might weigh. Just guessing at the time we thought maybe 500-600 lbs.

Well, that wasn't realistic, so got a large 3/4" thick scrap piece, put it on a scale, measured it and then did the calculations to determine an approximate weight of a Cornwall enclosure, which I indicated in my previous post.

The reason I considered Corian was because it is dense/heavy, no voids, stiff and within my power tool experience. Plus, it would have future AWF values greater than poured concrete and plate steel.

In addition, all three speaker openings could be beveled to continue their speaker's "horn" for an additional 3/4".

Whether all this is within the relm of reason, I am still considering and studying.

Mike

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 02-04-2002 at 06:40 PM

Mike--I dunno, I suppose those ALEs would sound very good presuming the owner has integrated the drivers well, never heard them, might soon though. Those wooden Sierra-Brooks tractrix horns probably sound like Edgars, Edgars are very good, the best I've heard. I don't see the sense of that bass compression driver unless one is absolutely stuck on using that WE type snail horn. Afterall, WE themselves moved on from that design to multi-cells and folded basshorns driven by 15" cones, a version of the Shearer Horn. And when the Shearers replaced the old WE snails in the 1930s the response was such that the Shearer won an Oscar. The ALE drivers are obviously of high quality though I see no reason to assume they'd sound better than Altecs, JBLs, Radians or TADs. I think money spent on Alnico magnets is money wasted. And It's certainly possible that as a system a set of KHorns could sound better, especially if the things that bother me about KHorns (that mid horn) don't bother you or are a virtue to you.

Good2Bhome, Mdeneen, as usual cuts to the chase and makes a good point. It is amazing how much sound pressure can distort large flat plains. I suspect that you would have to laminate two 3/4" sheets to get the stiffness it takes to achieve the clarity you want... and that would really be a heavy puppy! Good luck and keep us posted as to the result. Hope your keeping up with the free weights, when it comes to speakers it's not easy being a heavy square cwm16.gif HornEd

=======================================

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Making cabinets using a "constrained layer" may be a good choice to minimize vibration. Use 1/2 birch plywood with a constrained asphalt sheeting layer in the middle.

I lined a big pair of Bozak's with an adhesive backed asphalt based sheeting - it did a great job of damping cabinet resonances.

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 02-05-2002 at 05:57 PM

Lead sheet works well too. Has a density about 10X that of plywood. Large mass will inertia limit panel responses. A liberal coat of slow cure Epoxy, the use of pressure plates and many clamps are need to get a good thin bond line necessary. Lead is easy to work but requires gloves to avoid ingestion thru skin and subsequent brain damage. You could end up like MH! (reading those "wild-eyed" posts above leads me to believe he swallowed one of the lead radiation bricks advertised at the bottom of the page).

Lead lined enclosures put strains on glue joints. Joints must be reinforced with rub blocks.

This message has been edited by John Warren on 02-06-2002 at 06:35 AM