Eastern Screech Owl

tuned4life

This is my friend and neighbor, an Eastern screech owl. He lives in that Beech tree about 50 feet from my cabin. He sits there perfectly motionless all day long. He thinks if he is motionless you won't see him. If you walk to close to that tree at night he will swoop down and hit you right in the head. It is extemely rare to actually see one as they hunt at night. He helps keep the mouse population down.

post-18012-13819426580408_thumb.jpg

Nice! I have some barred owls living in my neck of the woods here in north Georgia. I've never been able to get a pic. When they make calls, they sound more like chimps in an old Tarzan movie. Beautiful birds. They talk back and forth at night and listening to them is a real hoot. ( I couldn't resist... [:D])

Bruce

The ultimate night predator.... Our building's outer boat bay was overun with pigeons and pigeon doo-doo, etc. No matter what we did, they moved back in. We tried bird spikes, etc., nothing worked until the owl family moved into the area.... Place is clean as a whistle, no pigeons, no mice, rats, snakes, etc. One sits up on the radio antenna until daylight, and the other sits on a branch of a dead tree. They are truly a neat bird to have around if you have "pests" of any sort.