$850 to much for Forte IIs

MBM135

I am looking to upgrade my KG4s to Forte IIs and am looking at pair on line in mint condition for around $800. They are light oak--which I love--just like my 4's. Seller is not a rock fan and has not driven them hard at all. They are a 1994 or 1995 pair.

Will these babies REALLY be a significant step up from KG4s? I'm about ready to pull the trigger and need some last minute convincing.

Thanks!

MM

I upgraded from KG4 to Forte Is, and there was a big improvement in the sound. The KG4s are great, I love them. But the Forte just has so much more detail, depth, and powerful clean bass. You will definitely hear a difference.

Not sure about the $850, though. Seems a bit high. By the time you throw shipping on them (at about 60 lbs a piece).... I've bought 3 pairs of Forte Is in the last year, for about $500-600 each pair.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 02-03-2002 at 01:20 PM

quote:

Originally posted by MBM135:

Will these babies REALLY be a significant step up from KG4s

$850 is certainly the top end of Forte IIs that I have seen lately, but consider:

1) I paid $1049 for my first brand new set 12/1990

2) I paid $600 for a used set in 1998 that were in very good++ condition ( not mint ) from a guy in CT.

3) I paid $675 for a pair of Forte Is in absolutely mint condition, back in 2000 that I still haven't hooked up. I was able to pick them up (100 miles), so I was able to inspect them and save on delivery.

The point is there are many things to consider. Time has proven that they should retain their value and since they are no longer in production, a mint pair is indeed a rarity. Have you had the opportunity to actually inspect the speakers... can you pick them up yourself... can you sell your KG4s? If so, can $850 buy you something new, that you would be satisfied with? Don't get me wrong, when several vendors carry the same product, price ranks right near the top of the list with me. When dealing with 'a one of a kind' type situation, you really have to evaluate things on a deeper level (There are always those who stumble into some incredible deal, but believe me, that those are the exception). I never regretted buying my first pair back in 1990 at nearly full retail... but that is me of course. Good luck, whatever your decision

MBM135,

Just to add perspective on the $850 price of the Forte.

A couple of questions should be answered first.

Is cosmetic condition the criteria for this purchase or sonic condition?

Is the type of finish very important to room decor?

If you can be flexible on those factors, I think more speaker an be purchased for that amount of money.

With careful shopping, Heritage speakers can be found. Cornwalls can be had for that price.

LaScala's can also be found at or near that price.

Forte enthusiast, please do not throw bricks or flames my way. I am not saying anything negative about Forte's, and never will. It was only a perspective injection.

Klipsch out.

By the same token, we have been seeing examples of Heresy's, Cornwalls and LaScala's setting new records in selling price.

I agree that $850 is awfully high for a pair of Forte II's but if they are exactly what you are looking for then the price may not be that far out of line (especially if the buyer can pick them up). I would certainly scrutinize the credentials of the seller, and his ability to pack and ship them properly if they can't be picked up.

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-03-2002 at 04:49 PM

Thanks for the hints--that's all good common sense. Let me clarify a few things:

1. Here is what I want: A pair of late mode (1994+) Forte IIs in oak oil in MINT MINT condition that have not been driven hard. From a seller with the original boxes/foam inserts who will ship them UPS and work with me on shipping fees.

2. Here is what I'm looking AT: See #1 above. Pretty certain they meet this.

3. Cost isn't the primary driving factor. It's condition and performance. Period. Not willing to compromise on cosmetics or sonics at all. If someone else out there has Forte IIs that meet requirements of condition #1 above and wants to go less than $850 then e-mail me at mbm135@home.com (or mbm135@min.midco.net after 5 Feb) and we can discuss. I'm ready to play ball. Somehow I don't think I will get any replies...

4. Geography: I now live in Minot, ND (that's North Dakota). The nearest major city is Minneapolis--9 hours from here. More people will pass through the Logan Airport tunnel in Boston tomorrow AM than live in this ENTIRE state. So, there is no "drive and get them option." Not worth it. This is an arctic tundra 40 miles from Canada. I would need a Lear Jet to "go pick up" or "inspect them" anything. Most of you have more gallons of gas in your cars right now than there are Forte's in this entire state! You can drive an hour here at 70mph and see only one or two cars. I'm not kidding. The two Klipsch dealers in ND stock Quintets and Synergy SF-1s and are manned by high school kids who think "Infinity" and "Rockford Fosgate" rule!. (Of course, Klipsch bans internet sales to protect their "high class" dealers--ask to auditon the Heritage line? LOL!) Do you have La Scalas? How about RF-5s? "Huh?" replies the class of 2003 student. LOL! LOL! Bottom line? Used only via internet.

5. More speaker for the money? Maybe. I have read every Chorus and Forte post on this site. Chorus may be better--no doubt, but I note a consistent "lack of bass but get a good sub" in numerous Chorus posts. Sorry, nobody ever said "turn down the bass and crank the treble." Forte all the way baby. MINT La Scalas for $850? $950? $1050? Cheap shipping? Not hardly.

6. Forte and Chorus speakers that have recently sold on eBay for $500-700 and have been shipped using MBE at cost of $175+. So, yeah $850 is pretty steep, but may be worth it. Some of these $550 sets are far from mint.

I just hope they blow the Kg4's away. Wife asked an interesting question: Should we sell these? My answer: I'm not sure I can say goodbye to an old friend. Hell no. Keep 'em. Got the original boxes. Never driven them hard--MINT condition. They look brand new. Who knows, maybe we can use them again.

Klipsch forever.

MM

Mbm135,

I say go for it...From what you described they sound extra-clean and you'll be thankful in the following years you had the smarts to scoop these up.

And what else in life can bring you that much pleasure as a good set of speakers (I don't expect an answer from you guys cwm20.gif )

Jeff

weel then go for it, if you do not think your KG4s needed a sub-woofer, then you will not think that the Fortes need one either, heritage speakers probably should sell for more, they are not making them anymore and there is precious little brand name equipment available in the same price range to do the job ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

Why does everyone think that a Forte would put out more Bass than a Chorus?

A ported 12', against a Passive 15'?

A smaller Cab against a bigger Cab?

My Chorus II's have plenty of bass, I have Subwoofers that I am not using at the time, and plan on using them for a little more LF extension.

But by themselves, I don't notice any lack of bass.

Unless you are Bass monster, you would be fine, IMHO.

Keep in mind the crossovers on these speakers are nothin' to write home about.

Electrolytics in speaker X-overs?! NO! NO! NO!

THANX!

Actually, I don't think the Forte' is ported, and the Forte'II has a 15" passive in the rear, 12" active in front. The Forte' & II are rated to 32Hz as compared to 39Hz on the Chorus II and 45Hz on the Chorus.

Not having heard any of the Chorus line I can't comment on comparisons with the Forte's in the bass department.

------------------

Ed W

I decided to go for the Forte IIs. Seller is being very resonable on shipping. Feel good about it. I saw a pair of Chorus 2's go for $1125 tonight on eBay and shipping (if the buyer is not local) will run $216. So, $850 for FIIs may not be such a bad deal. I guess when they are hot they are hot!

If people will pay this much for 8 year old speakers why doesn't Klipsch just re-open the production line?Hell, call 'em Forte IIIs!

MM