Integrated vs. Monoblock

"That's funny, I am personally all for magic, superstition, and "cold-fusion" explanations for garden variety phenomena."

I do not think that the two views need to be so mutually exclusive. Yesterday's magic etc. is today's science. Today's magic gives impetus to the formation of tomorrow's science and on it goes.

The now forgotten "gestalt psychologists" made a noble attempt to codify and measure perception and its resultant cognitive experience and their approach has ever since allowed me to reconcile the seeming immiscibility of "magic" and science, and other similar supposed unreconcilables.

All of which is to also say there certainly is no need to apologize for the "debate" especially since many have learned so much in the process.

I hope my drooling over all those pictured SET amps does not cause problems in the shorts that may happen.

-go figure and go ground

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 02-07-2002 at 02:44 PM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mobile, mdeneen, -cowabunga and stoked,

Let me clearly state this simple fact. Whenever I read post by mobile and mdeneen, I learn something. My "hi-fi" interest are driven by the music I love to hear. So mdeneen is so correct with this statement.

quote:

Amps ultimately have to plug into speakers - your speakers - which ultimately have to play into ears - your ears with your music.

When mobile states;

quote:

But when right, and when partnered with complimentary components and the right speakers, it is simply like no other. And the combination of a properly set up vinyl, SET, and horns system can just be amazing and only comparible to a live performance. Alas, it is the only in home setup that had every truly made me feel the music is equal to a live performance. Everything else sounds electronic by comparison.

please, a healthy dose of respect is in order. There is a certain magic with this combination for those who choose to investigate.

One of the two friends that stopped by this last weekend told me he can't block the experience and sound from his mind and he's not satisifed with his current setup. He want's it to sound more "open and warm". I did not sell him or try to sell him any point of view. His ears are talking to him.

So let's' not stop the debate. I am one who appreciates the granular distinctions of vocabulary and points of view. I consider being a member of this forum and reading the information you share with us invaluable and have achieved the benefits mobile has been a proponent of.

-cowabunga and stoked, once you decide what you want to achieve with your system, by setting some value in good old dollars to achieve it, you should not be caught in a bidding war with anyone. Have alternative pieces that will satisfy your objectives or be patient enough to wait for another opportunity and a similar piece to surface. My Moondog purchase was not my first attempt. The previous one was not lost to a higher bidder, but to owner deciding to keep them. So be patient. I attempt to update the two post mentioned to encourage others to at least explore other possibilities and "go for it". Your choice of harware may vary.

Last, mobile, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". Please continue to dispell the myths and misconceptions of tube amplication. Some of us will drink, others will walk away. That's ok too. We're all richer for your endeavors. And DAMN, I don't know how you maintain all this 411, but THANK YOU!

Let the bricks and flames coming my way begin!

Klipsch out.

PS. Anyone in my neck of the woods is welcome to stop by to hear what this is all about. It's about our ears.(Sorry if anyone by that name is offended, but use of this word or name is merely coincidental)Eyes.gif

1975 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Elys cartridge

AH!Tjoeb99 CD Player

At least two guys that like jazz vinyl among other things are after my own heart, so it looks very likely I will want to go down a similar path in regards to equipment. Getting the Corwalls opened that door. Fini and I have discussed the possibility of finding someplace relatively locally where we might hear a sample of such.

I too would certainly consider flinging some solder, although my chops are 50s ham vintage and octal soup ..behind victory garden walls.....¿{?}¿

Current system with Cornwalls has a bit of brightness verging on harsh at louder volumes that I am hoping to ameliorate with future upgrades, and it looks like the right combo of amp and pre are in order among other things.

--flammed and paradiddled

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 02-07-2002 at 05:46 PM

At least two guys that like jazz vinyl among other things are after my own heart, so it looks very likely I will want to go down a similar path in regards to equipment. Getting the Corwalls opened that door. Fini and I have discussed the possibility of finding someplace relatively locally where we might hear a sample of such.

I too would certainly consider flinging some solder, although my chops are 50s ham vintage and octal soup ..behind victory garden walls.....¿{?}¿

--flammed and paradiddled

But if you DO want to get some different types of wire, it is just a few clicks of the mouse away. And it's not really that expensive. A ton of parts houses have various wire, parts, etc for DIY. fomr simple to exotic...Cardas wire...silver wire...magnet wire...plain wire...whatever floats your boat. Many in the DIY community are getting good results with better wire. depends on circuit.

Besides the standard Mouser, Digikey, Angela there is

Michael Percy's place (download the .pdf)

http://www.percyaudio.com/

Welborne Labs

http://www.welbornelabs.com/parts.htm

And a host of others....

GET TO IT!!!! Get a good iron...make a huge difference.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-08-2002 at 02:32 PM

Why go all to this trouble? Radio Shack is mdeneens source for all things Audio! Why waste money when we all know:

PARTS IS PARTS!

It's all a big scam by "THEM" to get your money! Believe you me, they AINT foolin' mdeneen!

The man has been a die hard DIY'er for come' near 30 odd year'n! He's been around the block! Hell, there aint been but about two or five advances in audio since he was a tike! Save the new gadgets for the witch doctors, ad excecs, and Big Government! Them commercial manufacturers and whatnot aint got a thing on mdeneens Weller and plastic parts boxes from 68! Let me hear a HELL YEAH!

God Bless this country and the good folk that make up the HEARTLAND! They aint foolin' mdeneen with no smoke and mirrors! Science is on his side! Whar's the proof?

kh

Well, it IS Friday, is it not? What other day can you say such gibberish? Besides Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday..of course...heh.

Who needs a home when you are on the beach....sun rotting what little brain cells are left. God Bless Coppertone!

Besides, ole mdeneen can take such a retort. And as I said, we go way back to '68! I sometimes have fond memories of tht time we shared that soldering iron when things were rough... Those were the days! And to think, ole Bush is doing all he can to bring them back!

God Bless Bush!

har.

Maybe this solid state amp is getting to my skull....

kh

ps- Hey Fini, why are you assuming the first bottle of "cab" hasnt come and gone? Hell, it's 4:00pm!

The difference between us, besides sense of humor, is that I dont discount 95% of of what I dont know that is out there....and see real value in some changes, yet appreciate when the old is good. I like a good oil cap over a $50 MIT in my amplifier. I also like to taylor the sound of my equipment. I dont discount old for sake of old or new for sake of new. I look at each item. If a circuit from 1945 works, I like it. If a bit of wire that I found makes said circuit a bit more transparent, I like it.

I happen to believe that most everyting makes somewhat of a difference. It's just knowing how to balance the old with the new and perceive what works where. I do like oil caps in my amps. I didnnt like them in my Cary preamp. IT all depends.

PS - Radio Shack is fine by me. That post was a mixture of tongue in cheek and Cabernet. I would rate it a 3 on the mdeneen scale of importance in the grand scheme of things.

kh

Geeze, Kelly, I'm gonna have to pop the cork at noon (Pacific) to keep up.

fini

P.S. Ever tried the Carol Shelton? If you're a fan of zin, it rivals A. Raffanelli, Nalle and Pezzi King. Good stuff, all, and no special wires needed!!

any reason, beside the bread and the off chance I might eventually stumble onto a deal like lady jasmine got , not to go directly to the full blown Supercharged Welbourney Laboratoroonie Moondoodle Mononucleoid {2A3} kit and thus become a member, along with my vintage Cornnelias, upstanding in the jazzvinylholic audiophiles anonymous klub?

-crimped and soldered

assuming I somehow get the comparable preampcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gifcwm26.gif

{anyone else notice the 'stereo panning effect' on the smiley faces, they seem to have different expressions and all be unique individuals, this is what I mean by the "gestalt effect"}

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 02-08-2002 at 09:54 PM

I can tell you that I am absolutely thrilled with my Moondoggies paired with the AES AE-3 SuperPreamp.

I have now tried the NOS RCA tubes, the KR 2A3 tubes and today I put in the SOVTEC 2A3 tubes. All sound very good with the RCA's the winners so far (the SOVTECs only have ~6 hours on them at this point) but it is apparent the KRs are going to come in 3rd (in my system IMHO).

Ron Welborne has (or at least he did have last I checked) a demo Reveille (active) preamp for sale also. I have not heard this preamp but that was what I was going to use with the Moondogs before I found the AE-3. Perhaps others on the BB have some experience with the Reveille. The Reveille comes in both active and passive versions in kit form also.

PS: I am a veritable newbie in the wine arena but in lighter whites I have grown fond of the Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio.

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-08-2002 at 08:13 PM

mdeneen- Right in our own backyards! You can get her wines at The Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, and at Oliver's in Cotati. Here's a link:

http://carolshelton.com/

For an extremely good deal, see if the Bottle Barn (or anywhere else) has some 1999 Mont Pellier California Syrah. Clipped & Shorn and I have, independently, discovered this bargain for between $4 and $6 per bottle. YUM!

Limerick Lane is awesome. I think Gary Farrell might still be the winemaker there...not sure. His own label is great, though.

fini

(literally) CHEERS