Integrated vs. Monoblock

Hi all,

I now realize this audio 'thing' has gotten entirely compulsive after having read through this entire post - which, in all honesty, was very esoteric in nature and largely mental gymnastics.

I do realize the fascination was with the threads two main characters who, while dispensing all sorts of information - largely useless to us simpletons who merely ask the basic question, "how does it sound?", have an absolutely amusing Abbott and Costello routine going.

You guys need to syndicate this show - perhaps get a gig on comedy central; no one will know what the hell you are talking about but the sarcasm and comedy will come across.

Thanks. Now I need to see a shrink for this audio obsession.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

This message has been edited by crash827 on 02-08-2002 at 11:37 PM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mdeneen,

are you serious about the dynaco upgrade? you would be adding goodie$ more than what I shelled out for it in the first place. so the qvestion iz

what would I end up with in this dynakit-70 hot rod? this is kind of intriguing, I assume you would be upgrading parts and tubes, would you also be changing things in the circuitry? had you done this particular upgrade before? would anyone else in the future understand and appreciate an $800 Dynakit-70 (eg. how would it later translate into resell value if I ever wanted to part with it after upgrading). btw, i am still using a pretty basic SS Hafler preamp, seems to work fine, but what do i know.

-picked and pocketed

ps: bottlebarn SR has ample supply of the 2000 Syrah and I understand it is as good as the 1999 but I have not actually tried it myself. Oliver's (Cotati) still has some of the 1999 last time I looked, but bottlebarn sold out and has moved on to the 2000.

Hi mdeneen,

You aren't asking who are the 'characters' that my post references, are you? You aren't asking who Abbott and Costello were either, right?

I assume you are questioning which of you are 'Abbott' and which of you are 'Costello'. I think both of you are capable of playing either part but you likely end up being the straight man more of the time.

Hey, if you don't like Abbott and Costello, you can always choose another repartee-heavy duo. Say, Sonny and Cher - you two will have to fight over who will play Cher. cwm2.gif

Keep it up. You and mobile are a riot with all the bantering between each other.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

I'd like to see this hot rod ST-70... First of all, I hope to hell he gets rid of that idiotic circuit board that hampers the beast and goes to pure point to point wiring. There are actually TONs of places that sell mod kits for the Dynaco ST-70; hell, just about ever parts house has some version of that damn thing... Welborne, Ned, even Audio Research (in the olde days)!

Also, the bad thing about those ole Dynaco's are the various levels of transformers that came with the units. Like the Cornwall, the damn things had various levels of transformer performance. You can end up with a Dynaco with the lessor mix of iron, which is conundrum, especially since the transformers are actually the real heart of the tube amp, almost outweighing all other parts. IF you have some good iron, you are way ahead of the game, and can do all sorts of nifty things.

That being said, for mdeneen to announce that a mod squad Dynaco 70 can hang with any amp...well, it just aint so... The Dynaco is a neat piece... and who knows what ole mdeneen is really considering, but it wouldnt hold my breath on the giant killer status. I have heard about every incarnation of ST-70 and represent the guy that has the rights, paperwork, forms, and all the tooling for the transformers that were used (now MagneQuest's Mike Lafevre who owns Peerless, Acrosound, and all the OEM Iron that fell under those daddy companies). Indeed, you can put your greasy little paws in your pocketbook and get the exact equivalent of that iron today, hand wound, by ole Mike himself. But first, see which version of the 70 you have.

I would also have my ole pal mdeneen let ye olde forum in on his "Mystery Circuit" or the "deneen-O-Valve DeluXe." I am curious myself what he has up his sleeve.... And how long, exactly, this sleeve is....

What an amusing Friday eve you all had without me. I feel a bit left out, as if I wasnt invited to the party.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-09-2002 at 01:10 AM

Hi mh,

Waaaaayyy off topic!

You used the word 'represent' in your last post. Does that imply you are actually an attorney? I am preparing to take the LSAT and go back to school for a law degree. Also saw you liked vintage motorcycles. I am a motorcycle guy myself and used to race them prior to an accident at Daytona in 92 which left my wife determined to never let me race again - bike is in the garage and I am threatening to hit Mid-Ohio; if I get back into race condition...unlikely.

On topic!

This is the thing with tubes that kills me. You and mdeneen have pointed out repeatedly dozens of factors which could affect the performance of amps within the same model designation. How in the world is a newbie supposed to know whether all them parts on an individual amp are the 'right' ones. Chinese tubes, Russians tubes, good iron, bad iron, etc. I am going to go to estate sales to pick one up but have no clue how to tell if it is a potential $1000 amp or a paperweight.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

Ahhh... the use of "represent" was meant in a different form. Ironically enough, I was an English and Philosophy double major in college, and thought about law at one point as that was a great route of preparation... but came to me senses! heh...

As for the represent comment, what I actually meant was that I do the MagneQuest and MQ Bottlehead website and field most of Mike's online questions concerning his iron. He makes some top notch transformers, including push pull, air-gapped single-ended, and is the leader in Parafeed Cobalt and Permalloy (silver wire as well) outputs. I got involved with him after hearing his DS-025 air-gapped transformer in my amps. Ended up convincing the loon that he needs some web representation since so much DIY activity is now based on the web. HE supplies transformers for Wavelength Audio, Fi, Bottlehead, Wright Sound, LothX, etc. And does a ton of push pull upgrades for old vintage gear, especially the Dynaco. Still, there are MANY great transformer companies around and the older iron is some of the best you can get! Many manufactureres like Audio Note and even ASL, wind their own. OF course, the Audio Note transformers are FAR better than ASL.... and transformer winding by hand is a lost art.

As for the motorcycles, what did you race at Daytona??? That is insane! What kind of bikes do you have? I am partial to the older British bikes such as Norton, Triumph, BSA etc.

As for the tube amp question, you are right. Like Cornwalls, some of them used different parts during their production run and some years are better than others. Some makes were good all the way through...some had better runs.... It is relative, however. You just have to read up on it and lucky for you, the NET is almost the #1 resource for this info since you have owners and literature (as well as access to books/mags to order). Of course, the ulitmate learning is experience...but the net narrows it down.

kh

Interesting post. Enjoyed it.

Not going to match it with this offering but will answer a few questions.

Running a gaggle of speakers with a single Dynaco ST-70 is quite a challenge. I can tell you it is a heavy task for this amp but it appears to be holding at the moment. I can tell you that is not what it was made to do and it would surely sound better just dedicated to a pair of speaker...but you would be surprized what those transformers can handle. I will tell you right now, you can rule out a SET amp in handling such a task. It just is not meant to do that job and everything would suffer. I am actually a bit surprised the 70 is doing so well... Just how many sets of speakers are running at once? You make it sound like at leat 3 pairs! It's surely a rugged beast.

Personally, I would perhaps opt for a Cornwall only system powered by a SET while using the 70 to run the multiple speakers if you want. In fact, you might have mdeneen check the unit out and maybe get it totally up to shape for a job like that. He might be able to help the unit out and improve the sound to boot.

I actually didnt notice that mdeneen lives near you. I would definitely suggest you bringing your Dynaco by if he is willing to take a look. One, he could show you the workings of the amp and explain parts. He could also do some fixing. Having a DIY type nearby is a godsend and you should take advantage of it if he is willing(sounds like he is). You learn SO MUCH MORE this way! Of course, experience is great, but mdeneen could give you many tips. Bring him a fine bottle of red and he might do more than you think!

Still, I would try to run one system dedicated to your main speakers while using the backup amp as the powerhouse for the speakerbox.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-09-2002 at 06:13 PM

Hi mh,

At the time I was riding a Kawasaki ZX-7 (750cc) actually after the race prep it was a bit more than that. My buddies, who didn't race, were raving about Ducati's, old Harleys, Triumphs, etc. I have been a motorcycle nut since I got my first one in '78. Worked in a Harley shop for a little bit while 'finding' myself but realized I have too many hobbies and they require a bit more change.

Daytona was awesome - stupidity (or cheapness) led me into a major wreak that caused some damage to various extremities but I came back - not as capable as prior but capable enough. That bike will remain part of me forever and will be passed onto the children when I depart.

Regarding tubes, it is your fault I am considering them. Gonna go to an estate auction tomorrow and see what they have. I will jump for joy if I discover some ancient Klipsches but be totally bewildered if I run across some tube amps. Hell, if they are cheap, maybe I make a mistake but maybe I hit one out of the park. We shall see...maybe it is all for naught.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200