Does Pioneer make good HT receivers?....Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K?

MikeAK

I've finally decided to upgrade my very old sony receiver and have been looking at the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K. Can anyone tell me if Pioneer make good HT receivers and would it be a good fit with my speakers?..My speakers are RB61's, RC52, RS42's and an RW10. Other toys connected would be an HD-A35, Panasonic BD35, Xbox360, HD Cable box. Connection wise the Pio fits the call but I haven't purchased a new receiver in almost 10yrs so this is like an eye opening experience. Any help or opinions on the Pio would be very helpful.

Thanks

Is that a recently released model? I was shopping a little over a month ago, and the pioneer I was looking at, which I thought was the 1018, didn't have pre-outs...

That one now looks to have all the right goods.. audio extraction from HDMI, HD codecs, pre-outs, etc..

My 13 year old Pioneer receiver is still kicking..

It came out about a year ago? Plus or minus a month or so. But, that's just my guess though. I looked at it, and it's almost the same as mine. (mines an European model Pioneer) the only real diff I can notice is the power difference. (wpc) Mine puts out 150 per channel. But..... I paid a lot more than what the 1018 is going for. You'll be fine with this receiver and I'm sure it will sound great!

Specs aside, that is one fine looking unit! I would give anything for silver but unfortunately it looks as though they don't have that option for the NA version of the 1018.

After looking at past models it also looks as though the 1018 isn't THX certified, I wonder if that is just financial reasons, not wanting to pay for the licensing rights in order to keep the profits higher? After reading over the online manual I also see that the power output when powering 7ch is actually 110w but I still think that would be more then enough for my small (but healthy) system, @29lbs the unit doesn't seem like a wimp. I'm only running 5.1 now but obviously when I get a receiver that can handle 7 it's only a matter of time before I make the jump.

He's right. It pushes 130 watts at 6 ohms, but Klipsch speakers are 8 ohms, so...... Not to leave you hanging, but I honestly don't know why the 1018 isn't THX? But for what it's worth to you, and least it a couple hundred less than what I paid for mine. I bought mine for 700 on sale from 900......... In 06

He's right. It pushes 130 watts at 6 ohms, but Klipsch speakers are 8 ohms, so...... Not to leave you hanging, but I honestly don't know why the 1018 isn't THX? But for what it's worth to you, and least it a couple hundred less than what I paid for mine. I bought mine for 700 on sale from 900......... In 06

Exactly why I bet you anything the reason the 1018 isn't THX certified has everything to do with Pioneer not wanting to fork over licensing fees. Obviously I don't know this for sure but I bet I'm not very far off. Either way, it's not like that is a deal breaker for me, I just found it strange that up until this years model the rest of the 10xx have been thx cert.

Well, I decided to pick up the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K. I live in Canada and got it for $399.99 + tax so that is a very good deal, helps that a friend of mine gave me his employee discount. For a mid range unit I am happy with the weight and build, feels very solid. Haven't had much time to go over all the settings yet but so far I'm happy. Put 300 and Batman Begins in my A35, both HD DVD, and listend to their True HD tracks. VERY NICE! If everything stays on track then Pioneer has a happy shopper here.