Which speaker choice???

roaddog359

Hi, just joined, hope you don't me jumping into this thread? Would appreciate some speaker choice advice. I just bought a brand new pair of RF-82's for $600 from Bestbuy. I will be getting a rsw-10d tomorrow shipped from Vanns. Looking to buy RS-52's for surround. I know the RC-52 and RC-35 are going to cost around the same but which would be best? Thinking of those for size and cost. Or do I spend more for the RC-62? Will it make that big of a difference? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Not to get off topic, but
Youthman, that theater room looks absolutely oozing with potential! I
bet it sound pretty intense already.

Thanks! I'm pretty pumped. You can see my build thread in my sig. I don't want to take us off topic either.

ok, now what about the rf 82 vs the rf 63 which is a better sounding speaker and can deliver higher quality sound with less distortion while providing good highs, mid and base. If you were buying which one would you get not looking at price.

Without a doubt, the RF-63's.

highpster, welcome to the forums. I would suggest starting a separate thread. We would be more than happy to offer suggestions for your particular situation.

Thanks, I would love to get the 83's but its hard to pass on the price of the 63's at $599.00. Since you have the 83's do they out perform the 63's if so in what way? Does the rc 62 or 64 center channel match better with the 83 or 63 or both equally. And what is timber???? Also I will mostly use these speakers for movies, xbox 360,music and ps3 in that order. Will the speakers perform well for HT and gaming? I have heard some people complain that there is a break in and klipsch sound flat or harsh is any of this true?

In audio, bigger isn't always better; but..... The 83's are beasts. They will handle more power than the 63's, and they'll put out more bass. (3 8" woofers insted of 6") But I highly doubt you would even drive either speaker to its limits. Even my F2's will crank a lot louder than I would ever want them to. The 83's are the flagship speaker of the reference series.....

• Moderators

Tommy is correct. The 63's are great speakers. If you can get them that cheap, I'd say get them. RC-62 is timber matched with the RF-82's and the RC-64 is timbre matched to the RF-63's and RF-83's. Basically, timbre matched means they will have the almost identical sound between speakers so that when action pans from one speaker to the next, the pitch does not change. It's a smoothe transition across the front stage. If you use a speaker that is not timbre matched (ie RC-62), you could hear a difference in the sound of the speakers.

Buy the RF-63's at that excellant price. Place them as front mains. Upgrade the rest of your system when you decide to with the option of using the 63's as sides/rears at some point. Imagine a pair of 83's up front and the 63's on the sides. As mentioned in another thread, you can always run your center channel through your two front mains and I suspect the 63's would handle it quite well untill you decided what exactly your next move was.

Lots of folks use what they have untill they get what they yearn for. It is simply the process. Enjoy. Buy the Rf-63's at that great price and use them wherever they fit into your system. Front mains for now. You'll love the upgrade.

• Moderators

Well I went to order the cherry rf-63's but the price was so low because they only had one and they are not going to carry them anymore. I am trying to see if I can find another dealer that has a good deal on them but no luck yet.

That makes sense for the price difference. They usually are the same price whether you get black or cherry. Looks like you were trying to order the one on Vanns.com. They only have one cherry left for that price. Good luck finding a matching speaker.

Ok give me some more advise on which speakerr sounds better RF-83 or RF-63 with the RC-64 as the center. Will my sub 12 work with this set up okay? What is the difference between a authorized and nonauthorized dealer? Help me out I am looking to buy Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RF 83 will sound better period. Like I stated before, it is the flagship of the Ref line, and it will match fine with the RC-64. The sub 12 is a pretty serious sub, but you may want to get another one. Keep the Sub 12, and get another one. A non authorized dealer; Klipsch will NOT honor the warranty.. Definitely buy from an authorized dealer...............

If you're wondering about the second sub thing; the 83's are going to put out quite a bit of thump; (you'll have 6 8" woofers) so you'll want to make sure you have enough "sub" bass to accomodate them....... Even with the 63's I say get another sub....... And it doesn't have to be the sub 12. There are many other quality subs out there....... Klipsch, SVS, Outlaw, Velodyne, etc.........

Yea, I wont I need the expert advise from you guys, as I know little about setting the system up. I am still looking for rf 83 cherry if I find a good buy on they I will use the 83's up font and the 63's in the rear. How do you think this set up will sound and will the sub 12 work ok? I am hoping for a great improvement over the bose. I hope it was money well spent zthat rc 64 is huge and heavy 63 lbs!!!!! Heavier than I would want to put on a wall shelf, so I may try to place it on top the tv somehow. Are these 63's and rc64 going to sound great and rock the house??????????? Let me know what you think!!!!!

• Moderators

I am hoping for a great improvement over the bose. I hope it was money well spent zthat rc 64 is huge and heavy 63 lbs!!!!! Heavier than I would want to put on a wall shelf, so I may try to place it on top the tv somehow. Are these 63's and rc64 going to sound great and rock the house??????????? Let me know what you think!!!!!

I think your expectation is too low. I'm not sure what set of Blose you had but if it was the Acoustimas series, there absolutely is no comparison. Shere physics alone cannot make a 2 1/2 driver perfom as well as six 6 1/2" drivers. Not to mention there is no tweeter in the Acoustimas. I think you will be more than pleased. I would hold onto the sub 12 and see for yourself. If it sounds great together, keep it. If it cannot keep up, then upgrade.