Alternate woofers for Jubilee/ horn woofer question

hobie1dog

Has there been much discussion on what are better woofers that can be used in the Jubilee cabinets? I'm curious as to what works, design wise with horn loaded cabinets when it comes to woofers. I saw that the Fs for the Jubilee woofer is 19hz and that the Qts seems to be quite low (may have looked at the wrong figure). Seeing that I'm a woofer *****,[:P] I would love to hear some of your experiences with upgrading the drivers in Klipsch horn bins. With a Fs that low, it implies that the suspension is very loose and/or the moving mass is really high, but what do I know?[*-)] Most of the woofers I've seen photos of with Klipsch have stamped steel baskets, small magnets, etc, having all the tell-tale signs of a really cheap woofer(Dam#it, no flames please[8o|], so I'm wondering how other woofers designed for very high tight accurate bass would perform in the horn loaded bass bins.

Thanks in advance for your opinions( I mean experiences[H])

The resonant frequency of a horn driver should be the same or below the cutoff frequency of the horn. If the horn is to be operated below it's cutoff frequency, Xmax should be fairly large (at least 7 mm for Khorn) to handle the extra excursion that will occur when that happens. Qts and Vas determine the rear chamber volume, or vice-versa.

As far as the Jubilee, I think the drivers' parameters were partly chosen so that the bass cabinet could be operated up to 800 Hz or so, making 2 way operation practical.

There was some discussion of replacement drivers for the Jubilee, but I don't remember what they were. Maybe someone will chime in with that

Has there been much discussion on what are better woofers that can be used in the Jubilee cabinets? I'm curious as to what works, design wise with horn loaded cabinets when it comes to woofers. I saw that the Fs for the Jubilee woofer is 19hz and that the Qts seems to be quite low (may have looked at the wrong figure). Seeing that I'm a woofer *****,Stick out tongue I would love to hear some of your experiences with upgrading the drivers in Klipsch horn bins. With a Fs that low, it implies that the suspension is very loose and/or the moving mass is really high, but what do I know?Confused Most of the woofers I've seen photos of with Klipsch have stamped steel baskets, small magnets, etc, having all the tell-tale signs of a really cheap woofer(Dam#it, no flames pleaseSuper Angry, so I'm wondering how other woofers designed for very high tight accurate bass would perform in the horn loaded bass bins.

Thanks in advance for your opinions( I mean experiencesCool)

In a few posts down you had said that you liked the sound of the Klipschorn. Here is a suggestion. If you are a Bass Freak get a pair of Rel Strata III Subwoofers and a Pair of Klipschorns. The Rels integrate with other speakers so well, they might as well be in the original speaker design.

Personally I don't think my Khorns need any additional Bass, even with my 1.8 watt per channel 45 SET amps. I am not a Bass Freak though, but have a Rel Strata III left over from my Mini Monitor days. I turn it on once in awhile for a Movie or when a Bass Freak shows up at my house and wants the "Club Sound".

I did however replace the Mid Range of the Khorn with an Altec 1005B horn and 288-16K Drivers. That is my and a lot of Audiophiles feeling of the Khorns real weakness, which is the Midrange.

Anyway the Khorns are very modifiable, Different drivers, Crossovers, Subwoofers - season to taste!

The general thinking on the forum seems to be that Klipsch woofers are carefully chosen to go with their cabinets (or the cabinets are designed around specific woofers), so substituting what appears to be a "better" woofer usually makes the speaker sound worse.

The few aftermarket woofers mentioned on here, like Bob Crites's cast-frame woofers, are made to sound fairly similar to the original units, with some improvements.

JC tried a couple drivers in the Jubilee but I think the stock were his fave. I've heard mention in Hope that there are drivers that could be a better match but never heard brand or model number. I think the stock bass bin is awesome. Save your dollars for TAD 4002 drivers. Can't wait to have a pair.