cd player quality: is it hard to read 1"s and 0's ??

jerryd

"Even complete recovery of information can degrade audio quality from
the bursts of RF noise generated during the computations involved."

All the more reason to use toslink, it can't pick up the RF noise (or bad grounding) in the transport and carry it downstream the way coax can.

Shawn

I love the dance we all do.....wine gets you drunk, right? so why do some pay $100+ per bottle when a $5 bottle will get you just as drunk just as quick......

If the chemical breakdown shows that the alcohol, sugar, etc contents are almost identical...the $5 wine should be almost indistinguishable from the $100 wine

well maybe the more expensive wine is a little smoother on the top, and perhaps some can detect the slightest note of raspberry or plum.....maybe some can detect just a hint of hazelnut in the finish.......maybe if you just ate a ribeye steak all Pinots taste the same because the it's to subtle and you should have had a bolder Cabernet .

depending on what your eatting a $5-10 wine tastes great and why should you spend $100 to get the slightest hint of berry? Well maybe it's very enjoyable to taste that hint of whatever and as in all things there is a point of diminishing return......lots of $20-$40 wines that are just as detailed as the $100 bottle...and every so often you are lucky enough to find a bottle for $10 that is extraordinary....but those don't stay at $10 for very long.......

And don't forget, there are many people drinking thousand dollar bottles and would accept nothing less. The perpetual argument here is usually mistated. People say, "there's no difference," when what they really mean is, "the difference is not worth it to me." It's just a utility argument - you plot the cost vs. the subjective value and find the point where you feel good.

Likewise, it's also not true that "I can't hear/taste/feel/see the difference" means "there is no difference." 

Well stated Mark!

now lets get back to our regularly scheduled program of petty bickering about the subjective..... [^o)]

Likewise, it's also not true that "I can't hear/taste/feel/see the difference" means "there is no difference."

Very good Mark. This comes very close in helping explain the problem (and the inherent unsatisfaction) in the philosophy discussion a while back regarding "someone else can't tell me how I see blue."

Okies, having been through this many times before I am going to make some statements I have found to be true. Your milage may vary, that that is fine. No way I can know what YOUR hear.

1. Transports either work or they don't. An error of 1 bit in certain areas of code will cause total failure. Therefore even the cheapest CD drive must be capable of delievering error-free data.

2. Computer noise contamination of audio CAN happen and I have heard it, but it is rare and easily correctable.

3. I have never heard "jitter" nor has anyone be able to identify it for me. However, I know that it exists. But if it can't be heard I don't really care.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Dave

Dave--

Hiya! When you say "transports" you are talking about data drives for computers, right? You're not talking about music CD drives, right?

Said I was done, but the source is good and the question relevant...

>I am wondering when you use a CD player for a transport does the quality of the player really matter?

That was the opening line of the thread author, and that which follows suggests he knew what "transport" means. It is strictly confined to the mechanism required to provide a raw stream from the disc. No other circuitry. As you so well put it, the data requirements for pure computer code or data far exceed those acceptable for music. Therefore my statement that to the extent the transport does this accurately, it is the "best there is" and as per Deming "fit for the intended use." To the extent it does not, it simply fails totally. A transport of stainless steel with jewel bearings may outlast the media it is intended to read, but during its useful life it will provide no better music or data than one of plastic.

Dave