400$ budget receiver for rf-82's. ASAP!

alexg5775

Well i have been looking around for a while and decided to get me a pair of rf-82. I have the new synergy 10" sub for now. This is mostly for music. I am looking for a quality receiver under 400$. Has to be 7.1. I bought a Sony for 200$ and returned it today…I have read a lot of bad reviews for Sony receivers and remember a few of my friends who’s Sony receiver burned out…I have looked around but I want to make sure I make the best choice. I have a normal TV. but plan on upgrading to a plasma, getting a blue ray player and so on in the future. Im starting from the bottom up. Can you guys help me out?? What do you suggest? I want the receiver to be able to push the speakers well and not have to worry about buying an external amp or having to upgrade within the near future.

Also, I need this setup by next sat December 20.

Thank You, Alex

Denon 1709 or the Onkyo 606 both great receivers. Both are $400 crutchfield.com fantastic company to order from. You can maybe find them on sale at best buy or circuit city (best buy doesnt carry onkyo) Harman Kardon is fantastic when it comes to music. For $100 more get the Yamaha RX-V663, grea power and like the Onkoyo 606 has internal DTS HD Master Audio and DolbyTru HD surround sound decoding.

You guys are being EXTREMELY helpful. I found the best prices at newegg.com. Im assuming this is a good site to order from?

I really like the onkyo 606. Its 350 shipped. It only does 90x7. This worries me. Is this enough? I want to get the best out of the speakers and dont want to be pushing the receiver to hard resulting in a clipped signal…

The onkyo 706 was nicer but 500$...I really liked the pioneer TSXR706S. 130x7 with many other benefits. Its 430 shipped. What do you guys think, is it work the extra 80$? Or can I do better?

Thank you

• Moderators

I found the best prices at newegg.com. Im assuming this is a good site to order from?

Top notch! I order from them quite often. You cannot find better customer service than them. Order today, it will ship tomorrow, and be on your front porch in your hands in a few days. Highly recommend Newegg.

It only does 90x7. This worries me. Is this enough?

Don't get caught up in looking at wattage. In order to hear a 3db increase in volume, you have to DOUBLE the wattage. You will never hear the difference between a 90 watt/ch and a 110 watt/ch receiver. If you will be using it primarily for movies, you cannot go wrong with Onkyo. Great performance for HT and solid build quality.

I have not looked at the specs on those receivers but it is a good idea to get one that has pre-outs for the option of adding external amps in the future. Most of the new Onkyo's handle the new HD audio formats (Dolby True HD, DTS-Master).

Good luck!

James I like that denon and the price is great. I researched a little on the unit and I really did not see to many positive reviews….I guess it’s the old model? I have been researching for hours now and I really like that pioneer VSK-1018AH. Very powerful unit, with tons of features and great reviews. Its 430 which is over my budget but I am willing to sacrifice. What do you guys think? The reason I want 7.1 is because eventually I am going to be getting two outdoor speakers to put in my terrace which I plan on running with the unit. The onkyo sound nice, but seem a bit pricey and lack the power I want. I could be wrong… Again, thanks for all the help.

Daniel the pioneer has the multi zone as well. I think im going to go with the pioneer.Big Smile i will post pics when i can. Thanks for all the help.

Alex

Wise choice! you won't regret it at all. This is my 3rd Pioneer; and i don't think I'll ever switch over unless I go the separate route......