power conditioner/surger protectors??

askbob1

i currently have a relatively cheap but seemingly effective surge protector. what are everyones' thoughts concerning the monster cable series such as the hts 1000 or 900? i can pick either one of these up cheap at the local circuit city that is closing. not sure if they are even worth the effort? also sams club had a nice looking one as well for only $20.

i agree with falcon, you have almost the same set up as me, i wouldn't dream of having all my gear just pluged into a wall.

when i was buying my conditioner i did a lot of research....so here is what i found.....

furman is the best to buy. panamax is their sister company, but not equal in technology. furman will last forever, i spoke to Ron (furman tech support) and he has never received any power strips to repair because of any failure or lightning strike. they hold up that well. your house could be hit 100x and that power strip will take it and smile....

now with your emotiva amp....if you want the most out of it and give it all the amps it needs....you need the 15PFI or 20PFI. i purchased the 20pfi because i planned on running 2 subs, and maybe 2 amps through it.

if you feel that you don't need any help with amps and want to shave a few hundred dollars....(more like $900) then get their pst-8d or pst-10d. their website doesn't offer the 10d anymore, but amazon, ebay, and others have plenty of them. there is no difference in filtering between those power strips and their, 15i, 15dmi, 15pfi, or 20pfi. you will get the same results, it just matters if you want the power factor correction, or you want something pretty to sit on a shelf or hide behind your et center. you can get the pst-8d for around $100, 10d for around $180, and i found the 20pfi for $725.

heres another side note.....you spend all this money on a power filter strip, and they tell you, "now you have clean power to your equipement." well that is half true. yes, clean power goes out, but into what? think....clean power goes out into UNSHEILDED POWER CORDS. those cords just pick up the rfi/emi and your equipement gets dirty signals all over again. yes it will be better than not having it, but still not as good. simple solution...build yourself a new shilded power cord. i did this. if you can't build one and you have to buy it, then the one to buy is the one to the tv. when i finished building my power cord to my tv and pluged it in, i saw a night and day difference. it was almost like my picture was hallographic....no kidding.....no jokeing.....very serious. i couldn't believe it. it is worth the money. how i try to explain it is....it made my tv look like a 480i picture to 1080p picture. (yes my tv is 720p, just tring to explain the difference in the picture through words). i had zero artifacts, pixels, nothing. i was looking at my tv at about 2" and couldn't see anything wrong. before i did this, i would see "issues" from just a few feet, but sitting on the couch, it looked great.

rambling a little, but i personally think it is insane to spend $100+ on ht equipement and not at least buy a very good power strip for $100. i almost have the urge to smack people when they tell me "they don't think it's important."

DON'T BUY MONSTER ANYTHING!

thats pretty much all i have to say about that.....lol

check into furman, you won't be dissapointed....

take care and good luck with your choice....

cruchfield's got the Panamx 5300 EX for $249 now. Its what i just got. The necessity of the "conditioning" part is debatable but a high quality surge protector is a must.

I highly agree! It was storming pretty darn bad here yesturday, and the sence of safetty while watching "Horton hear a hoo" was nice. When the lightning started, my GF asked if we needed to turn the system off; being able to tell her no, it's fine, was pretty "relieving".

thanks for the information on furman. they seem to be the real deal. the link to the belkin surge protectors is just like the one in sams. i'm not really wanting to make another spot on the audio rack for a protector, so probably one of the strips will be fine for what i need. the one i currently have was a cheaper one from costco that i've had for 4 years. even though it is a lesser model, i do believe it has done its job. now that i've upgraded gear a few notches, i figure better to upgrade the protection. the surge protection is a no brainer, i was more curious as to the 'conditioning' part.

well like i said eariler, the stirp has the same filtration. i would personally try to find the pst-10d for 12v reasons. what i really like about furman, they are the only power conditioning company that puts their specs on their web site. i tried calling many others, and the tech guys had no idea what they were, so sad.....

I have the Monster MP HDP 2500. It has a very high joule rating of 6066, plus if it detects voltage sag it will power off the devices and will keep them powered off if the sag lasts longer than 10 seconds. I'm happy with it, but I also don't pay retail prices. :)

furman is the best to buy..... furman will last forever, i spoke to Ron (furman tech support) and he has never received any power strips to repair because of any failure or lightning strike. they hold up that well. your house could be hit 100x and that power strip will take it and smile....

check into furman, you won't be dissapointed....

Furman's M8D's fed by APC's RS 1500's. Listening to tunes during Tropical Storm Fay.... Not a blink. Narry a worry!!!