Dual RW-12d in car box and ksp-400 w/ 15' powered woofers and bass isnt great HELP

syzygy

I came across a pair of Klipsch RW-12d built into a ProBox Subwoofer box. Word is, these were built by a Klipsch employee for his personal use. At the price I paid for them, I could not pass them up but I am now wondering if I can use these in my home. The ProBox with subs weighs approx. 90 lbs so I believe that the amplifiers my be inside the boxes but can't be sure. The back of the box has two speaker wire connections. Can I use these at home? What is likely inside the box? Is there possible an ohm issue and if so how do I overcome that. Any thoughts on whether amps are inside the box or what type of amplification is recommended is aslo welcome. Thaks in advance for your replies. I'll try to add some pics soon of the box, its an pretty impressive unit.

Update they are working fine with the Hafler with minimal noise, KSP-400 subs still on and powered by their amps. Still have two issues

Using 80hz cutoff,

1) KSP-400 turned up 1/2 way and 1/2 bass boost I get "chuffing"? at very particular points, otherwise pretty good sound for music

2) Missing DEEP bas on orchestral music and movies. Any sugestions.

Could the woofers in the 400 need rebuilt/ replaced/ upraded. how does on do this?

thnkas

Most likely there's no amp in the box. You need to find out what the box is tuned to. You also need to know what the final impedance is on the drivers. The box may be tuned too high for HT but may work for music. You need to find these items out before you can tell how it can be used.

I'm interested to hear what you find out. I've been thinking about building something similar to enhance mid-bass in my system for music only.

I'm also guessing that there is no amp inside the box........probably the two woofers and a crossover.

Do you have any way of finding out who the Klipsch employee is that built the box?

I'm also guessing that there is no amp inside the box........probably the two woofers and a crossover.

Crossover???

I have a friend that has been experimenting with an SW-8 and KG-1.5's in a bedroom system. He is very impressed in what the SW-8 is doing for the KG's.

He says the SW-8 has two 8" woofers and a crossover inside a ported box.......no amp.

I was thinking about making something similar to go with my RF-7's.

I wonder if the op's dual RW-12d's were originally constructed for this purpose? (mid-bass module)

Iam useing a kg sw 8 bandpass with my kg 1.5 works great for music blends excellent with lots of mid bass when used with a seprate power sub.Iam looking for something just like the kg sw 8 but tuned for my KLf 30s so theres even more mid bass slam and using powered subs for the lows.I love what that little kg box dose for my 1.5 And yes the kg sw8 has a crossover net work in it.

Randyman

Thanks for the replies. Is there some diagnostic tool or approach to figure out what is inside the box without dismantling it? And determine if it is set up for mid-bass etc. I haven't hooked them up yet and am a little leery of just hooking them up to my receiver. Guess I could see what happens when I use them with an old sony receiver.

Thanks for the replies. Is there some diagnostic tool or approach to figure out what is inside the box without dismantling it? And determine if it is set up for mid-bass etc. I haven't hooked them up yet and am a little leery of just hooking them up to my receiver. Guess I could see what happens when I use them with an old sony receiver.

The easiest way would be to pull a driver and stick your head in and look around. I WOULD NOT hook them up to a receiver unless you're not overly fond of that particular receiver. Many car sub boxes have a 1 Ohm final impedance. That would cook your receiver. You really need some info from the seller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I''ve been running the hafler for the 2X rw-12d mostly with movies. It handles them at 4ohms,but does get a little warm for my comfort, but they have loads of power. How would I re-wire this for 8ohms?

Also want to improve the bass from the ksp-400, they ae plenty loud but when pushed lose all tightness, they look fine and the amps work. Any suggestions for gettin deeper or more powerful/punchy bass from these puppies?

I just can't justify buying another sub when ive got 2-15' and 2-12" klipsch in a 20x20 room. Any ideas? Thanks.

MAybe buttkickers? Because I have plenty of base just not the ultra-low frequencies.

Are you running them on seperate channels of the amp? If you have them both on one channel and they are single voice coil @ 4 Ohms each you can only wire for a 2 or 8 Ohm final load. If they are on different channels and they are single voice coil subs then you can only run them at 4 Ohms.