La Scalas are back

sootshe

The drawings that I made were based on the same set of drawings that you have. The changes to the motorboard are subtle...slightly harder to build. I hear your concerns about the sound that you remember... all depends on how tweaky you are willing to be.

Your money....so it's your call.

Yes I see the difference now. Instead of coming to a point, it has a flat section & then tapers away. Appreciate your input but I don't think I want to go that route. Have to head off to work now & get this out of my brain for the day.

The 1" mdf does make a difference. I have had both 3/4" and 1" shells and 1" is the way to go.

It was also mentioned by someone at the factory that they tried 1" plywood and 1" MDF and the 1" MDF sounded better, so that's what they went with.

• 3 weeks later...

Starting the road to La Scala ownership again after many years absence. For whatever reason I can't remember, I sold my early 80's La Scalas & went through a variety of different speakers before settling with a pair of Altec Model 19's. Fantastic speakers & ideally suited sound wise to the home environment. I've always missed that tight bass from the La Scla's though, so I've taken the plunge & ordered all the components from Bob Crites & will get some cabinets professionally made here in Oz. We don't get a lot of options second hand wise here in Australia, so I figured this was the best route to go.

Had advice from Bobs company that all the components left the States on 30th December, so wont be long before they hit the shores of Oz. Been reading with interest threads regarding the pros & cons of MDF verses Ply & quite like the idea of using the brace (attached photo) & sticking with 3/4 inch ply.

Will let you all know when the drivers arrive.

post-32839-13819436219834_thumb.jpg