Monster Receiver Stack

kmill99

Hi everyone!

I also own a Sansui G9000db in incredible condition, but I am going to send it off for full restoration as it has never been overhauled.

Anyway..... I noticed this picture: http://www.electricalhobby.com/monsterreceiversite

I have seen this image for years, and always thought to myself..... "how cool would it be to replicate that stack" I will have 1 of the stack (LOL) SX-1980 soon and I have 1 that is mentioned (Sansui G9000db) but not shown. I would love to hear what you all have to say about these beasts shown, and (if money were not an object) would they be worth collecting? This also includes..... can they still be found... can they still be repaired.... are they any good etc????

Attached is the monster stack picture.

Kevin

post-17861-1381942836645_thumb.jpg

The better they were the more likely you are to still find them but you could still get quite a few of these with persistance[;)] I do see a Sansui, a Marantz, a Kenwood and Pioneer that I can make out in that stack. Anyone on here name the rest as I'm thinking the one under the kenwood on the top might have been Techniques big dog of the day?

would they be worth collecting?

Every time that I have collected anything (most notably speakers and muscle cars) it was a real pain in the end. You probably will only really use one of the receivers and the others will be for display (at least 90% or more of the time). In the long run I have had much more enjoyment out of owning one nice car and one nice pair of speakers that I use all of the time.

If you have the space and want to display the recievers great. Can you work on them, at least to freshen them up? If not you may very well wind up having more in to them than they are worth and when you decide to liquidate you will lose quite a bit. If you can restore them and enjoy the task then it will be fun and you can recoup your investment of money (the time is a write off as enjoyment).

Maybe Colter can chime in, he has had some serious experience with collecting.

The better they were the more likely you are to still find them but you could still get quite a few of these with persistanceWink I do see a Sansui, a Marantz, a Kenwood and Pioneer that I can make out in that stack. Anyone on here name the rest as I'm thinking the one under the kenwood on the top might have been Techniques big dog of the day?

The link listed them.

"To put it all in some sort of perspective,
below is an interesting cover photo from the May 1978 issue
of Stereo Review Magazine showing some of the Monster Receivers together (from top to
bottom they are the Nikko NR-1415, Hitachi SR-2004, Kenwood KR-9600, Marantz
2600, Rotel RX-1603 and Pioneer SX-1980). Notable absences are the
Concept 16.5, Sansui G-9000, Akai AA-1120 and the Technics SA-1000."

As I am now divorced, have the time and have the space..... I would love to collect them. I will of course only have 1 or 2 in use at any given time, but it's my version of collection AFX cars. (Just bigger and more expensive, but not as much as full sized cars. LOL)It will be strictly for my own enjoyment and for my fellow audiophiles to enjoy and discuss. I would like to get each one in the stack eventually, and the others listed (but not shown) as are my Sansui G9000db. I want to get one at a time, in as perfect as condition as possible visually, and if needed have someone rebuilt to like new condition if possible. Can anyone tell me if all the ones shown in the stack (and listed on the link just above the picture) would be IDEAL collector items? I just thought it would be awesome to own what was shown in a 1970's add for the monsters as they tend to be my favorites. Thanks,Kevin

The link listed them

My bad[:|] THX R_G

I forgot all about Nikko and Rotel! The Nikko looked very much like a Kenwood to me and the Rotel reminded me of the rack version Sansui! I remember all these now as we offered them at the AAFEES in Ramstien! At the time my dream setup was the HK Citation 16/11 combo driving JBL L-65's Jubals. I will never forget the first time I heard War/Galaxy on this setup[:D]

Naaaaaaaaa! I love collecting them, I have the space, and I have no desire to sell the ones I have already have. (including my 78 Klipsch Cornwall II's.

They are here to stay! I want to restore them to their glory, and admire them on occastion. Once every few months I simply take down one, and put up another! It's much easire than taking care of my dog! Sooooo much easire. LOL

Thanks,

Kevin

I want to restore them to their glory, and admire them on occastion.   Once every few months I simply take down one, and put up another!   

I think you'll enjoy doing just that. That is exactly how I enjoyed the stack I've shown and at one time that stack was three times as large but I've whittled it down to favorites and hard to sell items because like tigerwoodskhorns stated, sometimes one really good receiver and pair of speakers seems to suit me better most days. However, I really can't imagine selling some, even though they go unused just because... Most of those vintage receivers are excellent performers and many members here use them in their main systems. As far as collector value, well who knows what the future holds but some of these receivers have gone from curbside trash to $400 icons. The only guarantee in this game is that McIntosh will seemingly always increase in value thanks in part to a strong collector market both here and in Asia. Good luck with your collecting kmill99. Check craigslist and eBay for those vintage finds.

Thanks Hifi Jim. I agree that most of the time I will only be running 2 or my receivers at any given time in the house, but it is strickly for my enjoyment and I do so immensly. It really does not matter to me if they go up or down in value as it's just like my 78 Cornwall II's. I will never, ever part with them. I just want to create a bit of history for myself, my friends, my family and mostly.... for my enjoyment. Even if I only switch them around once a year! Ever since I noticed this photo: http://www.electricalhobby.com/monsterreceiversite (and the ones mentioned in text only) I have wanted one.... just one of each and in as mint of condition as possible. (That's not asking too much... LOL)

It simply brings me great joy! What else matters right?

Thanks again everyone and if you see any of these beauts let me know. I have a long way to go on the list, but I can cross off the Sansui G9000db, and the Pioneer SX-1980. It's a start.