RF-7 setup - Bass Management Frequency

maseline_98

I was wondering where everybody was setting their frequenecy for the RF-7 setups. I think I'm going to run them at the following when I get my new pre-amp(currently my receiver is set to 100).

RF-7: 65

RC-7: 100

RS-7: 100

I'm also going to get DeanG to upgrade my crossovers at some point, but I just never have gotten around to it.

THX recomends everything set at 80. It's a VERY debateable subject. You could start there and try different settings and see which works best for you. Your center and sides (and mains as well) can be set much lower than what you've listed, without a problem.

Does that mean that your sub doesn't play anything above 50 hz? I looked at those Conquests, they seem pretty powerful. I still like my SVS, but if I ever feel like an "upgrade", I might got that route. Also, congrats on all that emo gear. My XPA-5 is 'Out for Delivery' as I write this!!!!

I have my mains, center, and surrounds cut off at 50 hz, like someone said, the RF's are vary capable down low. My Conquest does all the heavy lifting below 50 .......

The answer to this has to lie partially in your sub. Having a set of RF-7's (possibly with an outboard amp too) and a single 12" sub with a 500 watt amp is going to leave you at a bit of a mis-match where your sub can't "keep up", and it will sound better with a lower x-over freq.

Also, don't forget that the filter isn't a brick wall... it's just the beginning of a slope. Your speakers are still going to be playing lower than that, just not as loud..

"Does that mean that your sub doesn't play anything above 50 hz? I looked at those Conquests, they seem pretty powerful. I still like my SVS, but if I ever feel like an "upgrade", I might got that route. Also, congrats on all that emo gear. My XPA-5 is 'Out for Delivery' as I write this!!!! "

I think I have the Conquest crossover set at around 100 hz but I seem to remember seeing a frequency response chart that showed it starting to fall off just as it passed through 60 hz, that's why I chose 50 hz on my processor for the high pass on the RF-7's. The Conquest has really good output between 16 hz- 25 hz as seen on Tom Nousaine's Sub chart at this address- http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm , and I have found that the upper range is improved (tighter) if I turn it upside down and put the driver nearer the floor. Some people also lay them on their side.

Posted Image

4 I have found that the upper range is improved (tighter) if I turn it upside down and put the driver nearer the floor. Some people also lay them on their side.

That tells me that you could likely reap some great benefits with an EQ and using REW...

Sweet rack of Emo gear!

Gil,

is that a LG 50pg20 tv in the pic? if so, what do you think of it? i love mine. i am really glad i bougth it. it save me thousands over a 1080p tv. btw, love that set up. i assume the speaker wires for the center are run in the wall? man, epik makes "tiny" easy to hide subs don't they....lol. love the emotiva gear....i think i will upgrade to their pre/pro and maybe the xpa-5.

Hi InVeNtOR, the tv is an LG 60PG60 that I got this summer for around 3K. I had been looking at the 60" Pioneers but the price was a little high for me. The LG was bought for the purpose of watching Bluray movies in a HT setting and has been great for that. Regular tv programs and watered down satellite HD doesn't look as good when it is blown up to 60" so I have a 50" NEC plasma in the living room for that. I really love what the Emotiva amps do for my RF's and the XPA-2 is an awesome amp. Be advised that the XPA line is not just replicants of each other in different channel configurations, The XPA -1/-2 are definitely a step above the XPA -3/-5.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gilbertma, you might try pulling the RF-7's away from the wall a little bit to let the port breath. Also, you have the crossover enabled on the Conquest? If your receiver is doing the crossover duties, disable the crossover on the sub.

X2........Beautiful setup Gilbert, that Conquest looks massive. [Y]

I know it's hard to tell but I have the RF's about 6" off the wall, maybe I should go 12". The Conquest and the RF's do seem to blend very well, it starts to take over where they leave off and they stay out of each others way. If you could see the Conquest going through the test tones (like in the 20 hz and below range) the excursion of that big cone is just unbelievable, like a bodybuilder flexing it's muscles. It just builds a deep low foundation for the RF's to sit on top of and it's a beautiful thing to experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....I decided to crossover my RF-7s at 40hz and the RC-7, RS-7s at 60 hz(my only options are in 20 increments). I'm going to listen for awhile and see if I notice something missing. I did notice that with my HK 630. I set the SUB (LFE) to "SUB L/R+LFE" and noticed that my mains were not running when I was going through the AVIA sub setup(at any frequency). I changed it to "L/R" and then they were working. That doesn't seem correct. Any ideas?