XPA-5 and XPA 2

roaddog359

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

With that much power, you might be headed for the ear doctor. Let us know how they sound with your setup. I've been looking at the Emotiva gear myself. I have several other things that I need to buy before getting an external amp but they look very promising.

• Moderators

My guess is yes.

I would guess so as well but am not sure.

I just found the info on their website under FAQ

1. What is the returned merchandise policy for Emotiva products?

Emotiva offers a 30 day, no questions asked and hassle-free, return
policy. Simply call 1-877-EMO-TECH for an RMA number. Once we have
received your unit(s), checking to make sure they are intact, we will
issue a refund for the full purchase amount. It’s that simple!

If
within the first 30 days, you decide to return your merchandise, please
call us for your RMA number. Repack the unit in its original packaging
with all accessories, manuals, etc., and ship it to the address listed
below.. Once the unit has been received and inspected, you will
promptly be given a refund. The customer is responsible for paying for
the return shipping.

Emotiva Audio Corporation:

106 Mission Court, Suite 101

Franklin, TN 37067

as far as power cords go, i replaced my onkyo 805, emotiva LPA-1,LG 50PG20 plasma, and eD A2-300 with custom built ones i made. i made them all shielded with oyaide connectos. no i didn't spend $100ea per connector, i was $5 for the 037 and $7.5 for the 079. i then redid all my other power cords, toshiba hda3, ps2,modem, and dvr. i kept the unit end connector and replaced all the plug connectors with hubble type connectors. i also shieled all those.

i will A/B the receiver and amp as far as sound goes later, but the tv power cord made a HUGE visual difference. so much so, that i would STRONGLY suggest getting a shieled power cord for you tv if you can only afford one.

once the system is tuned in and done, i will post pics of it all, the cords, rounting, etc.

my 2cents, my LPA-1 sounds very nice. i was orginally going to go with Outlaw, but Emotiva's price is hard to ignore.

Yes the Onkyo's trigger will work, you will need to use the remote and hit the "zone 2" to activate the trigger. This can be added to the macro function of the remote so you don't need to do it manually. I am not familar with the programing of Harmony remotes (I own a URC MX-850 remote), hopefully you can add "zone 2" to the remotes macro function when you turn your receiver on.

Yes you can use a Y so that the trigger works with both amps.

The Emotiva amps also will sense the source once one is feed to them and turn on automatically however this will be slower turning on than using the 12v trigger.

Yes the Onkyo's trigger will work, you will need to use the remote and hit the "zone 2" to activate the trigger. This can be added to the macro function of the remote so you don't need to do it manually. I am not familar with the programing of Harmony remotes (I own a URC MX-850 remote), hopefully you can add "zone 2" to the remotes macro function when you turn your receiver on.

Yes you can use a Y so that the trigger works with both amps.

The Emotiva amps also will sense the source once one is feed to them and turn on automatically however this will be slower turning on than using the 12v trigger.

So you are also saying that if I dont use the 12v trigger the amps will still power on as long as they are in standby? How long does that take?

So you are also saying that if I dont use the 12v trigger the amps will still power on as long as they are in standby? How long does that take?

This is what I heard in the Emotiva forum, I do not know how much longer it will take, I imagine it would be a matter of seconds and less than a minute.

The 3 options are:

1. 12v trigger best option if available

2. Wall wart 12v adapter from switched outlet on receiver to trigger (if available on receiver) 2nd best option if receiver has switched outlet and no trigger

3. Emotiva amp will automatically turn on when it senses input slowest option if no other is available

before you get all excited about the 12v trigger on the onkyo, you have to realize when you switch on "zone 2" you loose your two rear speakers. i didn't know that when i bought mine. i was not too happy, i almost threw the onkyo in the trash! i found a work around before i did that....

i plugged a Wall Wart into the back of the receiver and then plugged the other end into my furman (for you emotiva amp) and when i turn the receiver on, the furman switches on. this way i don't have to power up the receiver and then switch on zone 2 (and loose my 2 rear speakers).

this is how my set up is done, my PS2, hd-dvd, power antenna, and emotiva amp are all plugged into the switched outlets of my furman. that way when i am just watching tv i don't need any of those devices. when i want to watch a movie or play my ps2 i have to turn on my receiver, that in turn, turns on everything else. that way nothing is in standby when i am not using it. i don't waste electricity, no lights are lit. i think the furman will pay for itself in a couple of years having everything turned off like that. if you think about it, a device in stand by sucks up a lot of juice (money) the entire time it's plugged in (24/7/365!)

the wall wart is at radio shack and cost me $20...i think. i bought the one that can set from 3v to 12v. i did some reading on those before i bought them and everyone said those don't regulate power all that well. so i was scared of frying my devices. with the one that is variable i figured it would regulate a little bit better than the ones that don't. i also have it set to 4.5v and it works like a charm!

anyways...hope that helps...

The Onkyo's setup menu is used to choose between using zone 2 as rear surrounds 7.1 or zone 2 in a separate room. When the choice is made in the setup menu for rear surrounds the rear speakers are not lost by using the remote zone 2 button.

However the remotes zone 2 button will still trigger the amp, at least this is what I have been told I will be able to verify this in a day or so once my Emotiva amp arrives.

If the zone 2 on the remote triggers the amp (as I was told it would), I will set up my remote so that the zone 2 button will be activated by a macro automatically when the receiver is turned on so I won't need to do it manually.

If the zone 2 on the remote does not trigger the amp, I will use a wall wart from my receivers switched outlet as a trigger to the amp.

Roaddogs receiver (Onkyo TX-SR706) does not have a switched outlet so the wall wart is not an option for him.

Thanks again Rich_guyI am trying to verify what you are saying also in an Onkyo forum as well. You are correct, I do not have a switched outlet that I can plug the amps into so I need the trigger to work with out loosing any speakers. What receiver do you have? I am still trying to figure out the harmony one remote and program it to activate the trigger.

I have the Onkyo TX-NR900 receiver. I know I can use the remotes zone 2 button without losing the rear surrounds, however I will not know for certain that the remotes zone 2 button will indeed trigger the amp, I will find that out when my amp arrives. It was on the Emotiva forum where I saw someone say that this would work.