2-channel amp for Cornwalls

djordan

I would like to improve the two channel listening in a
home theater setup. I really can't have a separate system (or room) for music.
I currently use a five channel Parasound 855 with an Outlaw 990. I plan to get
a Rega P5 soon and would like to upgrade the amp portion with either a new amp
run with the Outlaw or an integrated amp for music sources. I understand that
many people will say get a tube amp but I don't really want to be running tubes
while I watch tv or movies. I guess my main question is are there SS amps that
exhibit the "tube sound"? I have never heard Cornwalls with tubes. Is
it really that much of an improvement? I had considered a Primaluna Dialogue 2
- it has a Home Theater bypass mode. Have also considered Naim amp or int. amp.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't need a lot of power - just
good quality. Thanks and have a Happy New Year!

Don

I have Cornwalls as part of my setup with an Outlaw 990/7500. The front 2 channels are driven by a QSC pro amp. I got the idea off this forum. I won't say the QSC is "tube-like" but it is very smooth. It actually drives my cornscalas which are supposed to be a mix of Lascala & cornwall parts.

Mark Deneen, on this forum, builds something called a Peach. I don't know much about it but the unit has a bypass mode designed for 2 channel/home theater use. You can do a search for numerous threads on it. You might want to post over in 2 channel because some of those guys don't look here much.

Welcome to the forum.

Mark Deneen, on this forum, builds something called a Peach. I don't know much about it but the unit has a bypass mode designed for 2 channel/home theater use. You can do a search for numerous threads on it. You might want to post over in 2 channel because some of those guys don't look here much.

I was going to make a comment about the Peach as I started reading his post...but he seems more concerned with an amp for his speakers.

If someone is using a Peach and the HT passthrough, the same amp will ALWAYS be powering the same set of speakers. All the HT bypass does is control where the signal (and volume control) are coming from. In Peach mode, the Peach inputs and Peach volume control are what affect the amp that is attached to the Peach (as well as speakers)

In the HT bypass mode, the HT unit will have 2 line outs that go to the HT inputs on the Peach. In this configuration, the volume control on the HT unit will control the signal level going through the Peach. The Peach volume control is bypassed. You still have the same amp attached to the output of the Peach as well as to the speaker.

Bottom line... if he's looking to swap amps around, I'm not so sure a Peach will be his right answer, since in either mode, the same amp is connected to the same pair of speakers.

I am facing a very similar issue.I am running a reference setup with a group of powerful separate amps for each speaker. The HT is fantastic- the music is lacking. I have decided to keep my existing reference system for now and sell it off in pieces as I find Heritage items for sale on the used market.I plan to set up a seperate 2 channel system based on a set of khorns crammed into the same room for now and change everything out to heritage down the road . I listened to a set of Cornwalls hooked up to a new Mac 275 tube amp with the current entry level Mac tube preamp and was it sweet!!!!!!! I also listened to the same mac tube setup at a dealer side by side against a soild state integrated Mac through a set of B&Ws (91db)-less efficent) and the difference was night and day. In the course of my very unscientific research- listening to as many heritage speakers as possible- I have formed the opinion that low powered tube amps/preamps(100WPC max) are a must for Cornwalls or Khorns. Depending on your budget- I would give the tube stuff a serious look before eliminating them from consideration.

A friend of mine is using a high end NAIM system with a set of Linn speakers.He has spent a small fortune on building and upgrading the system. Personally- I liked the mac 275/Cornwall setup much better for less money. My 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the replies. I think my main concern about going the tube route
is if they have enough "oomph" (technical term) for movies. Also we
watch tv or movies a couple of hours or more each day. Generally how long do
tubes last plus how long does it take for a tube amp to warm up? My budget is
around $2K. I thought that a SS amp would just be more practical in a HT setup
but I do want to improve the music end. To be honest I think I've changed my mind so
much about which way I want to go I've thoroughly confused myself. The only
decision I've made is the Rega TT. I could just buy 2 more heresys for the HT
(stack them on the Corns)and use a tube amp with the Cornwalls just for music. I
think I'll go tell the wife this latest idea - I think she'll be excited (lol)

Got to go - getting ready for the Colts victory!

Actually that last idea isn't bad!

Don

Don,

You need to come over and check out my setup. I have 2-channel and HT in one room (with Cornwalls) using a Niles switchbox to switch between my HT receiver which sucks for music and my Scott 299b tube integrated which absolutely KILLS for 2-channel listening. I'm in Ellicott City if you want to come by sometime. Just shoot me a pm if interested. It's the ONLY way to go!!

- Gary

Happy New Year to you too Patrick! Thanks!!

Yes, those are the factory zebrawood Cornwalls I bought new in 1980 and yes, they came with the risers as most Cornwalls did. You don't see very many pairs without risers. Greg reveneered at least one pair in zebrawood but painted the risers black so they almost looked to be floating.

Pete - If you Google Niles DPS-1 you will find the switchboxes. Many here use them for the same purpose that I do. You hook up 2 amps to the box and one set of speakers. It's about $80 and although there are cheaper versions, this one is very well built and I can't tell any difference in sound quality.

You're welcome anytime as I said but I would highly suggest to try and make the trip if you want to get an idea of just how good a $600 tube amp can sound with your Cornwalls. If you've never heard one, especially one rebuilt by Craig, you owe it to yourself to at least give a listen before you spend your hard-earned money.