Quick Receiver Question

Tempestking

Which is better overall receiver?

The Onkyo TX SR806 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH....

I can get the Onkyo for $650 and the Pioneer for about $900

I would go with the Onkyo because of price but I have also hear the Onkyo has potential problems with 1080p signals, from Newegg reviews and some online searches.

~TK

Good question. If money isn't an issue, I would definitely go with teh Pioneer. Their Elite stuff is pretty darn good!!! But, I've also read some "not so good" reviews of the 1080 upconversion stuff. I dont' use that, so I wouldn't know from personal experience. This is the 3rd Pioneer I've owned, and it's going to take something pretty big to get me to go with another manufacturer; unless I do separates someday.............

I love the Pioneer sound, power, mcacc room equalization is incredible. Consider the VSX-1018AH-K at a street price of about $500 if budget is a consideration. (Spend it on speakers!)

What's the issue with 1080p? HDMI is HDMI, no?

Think of the receiver as it's component parts:

• Pre/processor - do they both cover the complete spectrum of formats?
  • Power - More than adequate power and clean sound?
  • Switching - Does the unit support all the various required tech and have enough inputs/outputs? HDMI etc?
  • Room equalization - Does the unit have it and does it work well?

I'm not familiar with the Onkyo, but I know the Pioneer will do all of that for you. Onkyo prolly will too? If it does, then what's the rest of your system and could the money be better spent elsewhere on perhaps better speakers/sub or a brandy new Blu-Ray box fo other needed component?

...there's my ramble.

You can get 805s for less than $500.

Where could you find such low prices?

Please PM me if that's sensitive info.

Thanks,

Frank.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Onkyo-TX-SR805-7-1-channel-Receiver-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ120357075309QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item120357075309&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Onkyo's store has frequently had refurbished 805s on the cheap too.

I love the Pioneer sound, power, mcacc room equalization is incredible. Consider the VSX-1018AH-K at a street price of about $500 if budget is a consideration. (Spend it on speakers!)

What's the issue with 1080p? HDMI is HDMI, no?

Think of the receiver as it's component parts:

• Pre/processor - do they both cover the complete spectrum of formats?
  • Power - More than adequate power and clean sound?
  • Switching - Does the unit support all the various required tech and have enough inputs/outputs? HDMI etc?
  • Room equalization - Does the unit have it and does it work well?

I'm not familiar with the Onkyo, but I know the Pioneer will do all of that for you. Onkyo prolly will too? If it does, then what's the rest of your system and could the money be better spent elsewhere on perhaps better speakers/sub or a brandy new Blu-Ray box fo other needed component?

...there's my ramble.

I'm also a huge fan of Pioneer!!! Mine is a rare find (or, at least that's what I like to tell people!) due to the fact that it's a European, or at least over seas model. I upgraded from a previous Pioneer when I bought this one. Makes it my 3rd one.................

I've had several Pioneer Elite receivers, and love them. I currently have the VSX-92TXH and am very pleased with it. I replaced my old Denon AVR-4802 with it. I was apprehensive at first, because the Denon has more power,etc, but honestly, I think the Pioneer is just as good. I found mine on a closeout (and I have a friend who manages the store) for about $550.

I use it for HDMI switching - (it only has 3 HDMI--1 more would have been much better), It handles all the advanced sound formats (DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, and Multi-Channel PCM). My TV only has DVI, so I run a HDMI to DVI cable to my TV. I actually think I got an improved video signal when I switched to this receiver, but that could be just in my head.

I do have my Regular DVD player and my Wii connected with Component video, and it upconverts to 1080i (I haven't found a way to change that), and both look great--my TV is 720p, but can accept a 1080i signal.

Hope this helps, I have never owned an Onkyo, but I understand they are nice?

I guess to be fair I should have brought recievers of similar cost into the picture the Onkyo 876 is probably a better match given the cost. Via newegg.com I can get the onkyo for 1099.99 brand new and from a certified dealer, now the Pioneer I cannot seem to find anywhere below $1200 for a new one and from a certified dealer. Should I even be worried about the certified dealer bit?

Thanks for all your advice,

~TK

I recently sold my 805 for 425 locally, it was a great piece of equipment for HT, had plent of power but did not suite me fancy for 2ch listening. I bit the bullet and gave up the HDMI switching, new audio codecs and some other features. I thought I would miss out on the HDMI switching but I don't, my TV has 4 HDMI inputs so I use the TV's switching abilities which is relatively fast.

As for the new HD audio formats, I miss them but still have the ability to get them via analog outputs so I will be back in that ball game shortly. If your primarily listening will be HT I think the Onkyo is a winner, if you do some serious 2ch listening IMO the Onkyo didn't add up.

I've never had experience with any HT pioneer recievers only some older 2ch models which I think sounded good.

I would shoot for an 805 vs an 806 if the video upscaling is not an issue, the 805 has a better amp section aswell as better DACs. The 805's upscaling performance is decent at best IMO.

How did you get the Euro model?

I love the VSX1015 I have. It's awesome with my "poor boy" Synergy 3s and Sub-12. Also have a Sony WEGA 42 from a few years ago. All in all, it's an awesome system that fills my 13X23 cathedral ceilinged New England chalet.

The MCACC just works so awesome and the room is just so balanced it's like the band is here in the room with the imaging. I also have the front speakers bi-amped using Pioneers option to support that. [A]

Addicted to concert DVDs.

I'm now looking at a 1018 to get the HDMI which I'm missing and really would benefit from to support a Blu-Ray player with HDMI. Althoyugh the 1015 does have a +10db option for LFE to support the LFE being 10db down as part of the analog out on 5.1 outputs.

I have been thinking about picking up a Pioneer VSX01018 myself, but after yesterdays announcment of the VSX-1019 coming out in April, I think I will wait.

The new one has 4 HDMI inputs and Faroudja processing for upconverting to 1080p. Its going to run about $500. The new VSX-919 seems to be the current 1018 ( has all the same features and the 3 hdmi inputs ) for $400.

Did you pick it up through BB or one of the other box stores? I think BB has a special deal with Pioneer and it's tought to beat their pricing. But, yeah.. the Pioneer 101* line has been an incredible bargain for years! Almost identical to the equivalent Elite and 1/2the price. You know you're getting the same electronics and firmware as the high-end set-up.

Yes Pioneer gives you a lot for what you pay. Here's a professional review I found on mine.

Pioneer VSX-2016AV review

Home cinema multi-channel receiver that aint too shabby

Our Score User Score Be first to review this!

Last reviewed: January 1st 2007

With its impressive specs and THX Select2 and THX Surround EX certification, the Pioneer VSX-2016AV easily justifies its price

ZoomZoom

<1 2 >

With its impressive specs and THX Select2 and THX Surround EX certification, the Pioneer VSX-2016AV easily justifies its price.

It has HDMI in/outs along with useful touches like a custom iPod input with connection lead, a front panel USB input and a second zone for extra rear channels.

Sexy beast

The VSX-2016AV is a sophisticated piece of kit that does all you need for a full-on home cinema experience. Its brutish size is due to the hefty seven-channel amplifier as well as the wealth of processing technology onboard, including phase control technology for improved sonic performance and a Sound Retriever DSP mode that attempts to put back some of what's lost with music compression formats.

Its complexities mean that there's a steep learning curve in getting to grips with the receiver. The front panel and handset are a button pushers dream (but hellish for the novice) and the VSX-2016AV is clearly aimed at confident home cinema enthusiasts.

The MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration) setup tailors the amp's optimum settings with test tones and readings from the supplied microphone. It makes light work of balancing and tuning the speakers to your environment, but it's not too intuitive.

Another neat touch is the Pioneer's iPod connectivity. The custom cable connects directly to the dock connector at the bottom of an iPod - there's no docking station required or additional outlay. iPod menus are displayed on your TV screen and tracks and playlists are navigated via the amps remote controller. Cool eh?

HDMI signals routed through the Pioneer show no sign of degradation, and vibrant movie images have good clarity and excellent resolution for connection to compatible TV screens. On the other hand, analogue video signals up-converted and output via HDMI show some signs of weakness and there's visible patterning on show during darker sequences, which is a bit of a disappointment.

Thankfully, there are no flaws audio-wise, and the Pioneer delivers one of the most fluid surround performances we have heard. Rousing orchestral soundtracks are very effective as the VSX-2016AV has the natural ability to draw you into a movie by conveying subtle nuances easily masked on other receivers.

Golden retriever

It has the kind of musical capabilities that compels you to sit and listen rather than just hear tracks in the background. And the Sound Retriever DSP mode makes iPod listening a more hi-fi-like experience, and is a very worthwhile inclusion.

With one of the best performances and the highest specification, the Pioneer is the most flexible model at the price. Video upconversion could be more refined but its solid audio performance and impressive capabilities make it a great choice that we'd happily have in our home entertainment system.

(Reviewed by tech.co.uk staff - What Home Cinema )

Product Summary

VSX-2016AV

pioneervsx-2016av-59-70.jpg

Price at launch

£700.00

For

>

Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration for setting it up to your specific environment

>

Cool iPod dock feature

>

Solid audio

Against

>

Complex button setup

>

Video upconversion could be better

Related Links

Click here
Find a review