SVS CS-Ultras and amp arrived

wuzzzer

Wow, these are heavy suckers. I think they're almost 20 pounds heavier than my PC-Plus 16-46. Crazy because the Ultras are shorter and don't have a built-in amp. I guess the driver in the Ultras is a much heavier and heavy-duty woofer! Unfortunately the grills took a little abuse during shipping - both of them are dented in with one of them being dented very noticeably. I emailed the seller and he wanted me to email him pictures and work something out. I know SVS sells a grill kit for the subs so I would be able to replace them.

The Samson S1000 amp is also a lot heavier than I thought. The seller included RCA to XLR adapters along with it so I could use my current RCA cables. One big surprise was that he included a pair of custom Canare cables with spade ends on one side and some ridiculously expensive looking banana plugs on the other side. He never mentioned anything about including those with the transaction.

I think I got a pretty sweet deal on the whole thing - original list price for the amp and two subs was $1999 plus shipping and I bought everything from him for $850 shipped.

Also, my Quartet center sold on eBay for a lot more than I thought it would, so I just may end up keeping both Ultras and my Hsu MBM-12 instead of selling the MBM like I thought I would.

I just may end up keeping both Ultras and my Hsu MBM-12 instead of selling the MBM like I thought I would.

Now you're talking. [Y]

Of all the subs I've had in the past.....my PB-12 Ultra/2 was the only one that was good to go as soon as I hooked it up. I mean no break in time. All of my other subs, especially my PB-12 Plus/2.......took at least 100 hours to soften up.

Curious to hear your impression on the Ultra's. I love mine. It's got some serious drivers in it. I tune it to 16hz now and I'm blown away at what it can do.[:D]

Congrats on your purchase.

Well, I'm still in process of cleaning our basement before everything gets set up. My wife thinks that cleaning everything today right now is better than cleaning tomorrow. "Yes, dear. My new toys can wait." [:S]

Here's the lineup obviously not where they will be finally installed:

SVS & Samson amp

Posted Image

Well, things weren't the easiest to get set up. I had to remove the bottom bases of each Ultra in order to install the banana plugs. I guess they're not going anywhere, which is good. Absolutely impossible to accidentally pull those suckers out!

I hooked them up, turned on the amp and slowly adjusted the gain controls. I ran Audyssey and found I had the gains way too low. I think that's probably because this is a pro amp and it isn't getting a hot enough signal from my receiver. I bumped up the gain controls and tweaked the output levels on my receiver and MAN OH MAN OH MAN. Those Ultra drivers are Ultra alright!

Tossed in Transformers on Blu-Ray and the Ironside flip scene vibrated everything in the basement that wasn't bolted down. My PS3 remote fell off the back of the couch and into my lap. My wife rented Eagle Eye tonight and even though there wasn't a ton of LFE, what was there sounded incredible. The Ultras have a much more articulate type of bass compared to my PC-Plus. Every bass frequency seems to be that much more well defined. And when it needs to, it pounds the crap out of you.

I just looked up the manual for the sub online and realized I had it in the wrong setting. It has 'Parallel' 'Stereo' and 'Bridge' modes. It was set to Parallel by the guy who shipped it to me so I assumed that was right. Well, turns out Parallel mode takes only the input from Channel 1 and divides it between the two outputs. Stereo mode is what I want to have it in. I don't think it'll affect the sound too much but I'll have to try it out and see.

I was getting some HUGE bass and according to the manual it said the Clip light should blip just briefly during peak operation. Well, I wasn't anywhere near the Clip light coming on with the magnificent output from these monsters.

By the way, I'm doing everything in my power to keep both Ultras and also my MBM-12 instead of having to sell the MBM. I can't hook the MBM up right now because I don't have another y-splitter to use. The Ultras definitely have a ton more mid-bass slam than the 16-46 does but they still don't match the output of the MBM.

obviously, you have more bass than my system, but I was in the state of .......... shock when I hooked up my Sub 12. We watched Transformers as well. I had the subs up a lot more than I ususaly like to listen to them, but ya, can you say bass? After, my gf recommended putting double sided tape on the back of all our picture frames, wall decorations, etc. It helped eliminate the "shaking of the walls" a lot!

Congrats on your new toys!!!!!

Can w

e

obviously, you have more bass than my system, but I was in the state of .......... shock when I hooked up my Sub 12. We watched Transformers as well. I had the subs up a lot more than I ususaly like to listen to them, but ya, can you say bass? After, my gf recommended putting double sided tape on the back of all our picture frames, wall decorations, etc. It helped eliminate the "shaking of the walls" a lot!

Can we

get

Can we

• 3 weeks later...

After getting a shielded RCA to XLR cord, spending time setting up the levels and positioning of the subs I can truthfully say that these are some incredible subs. I threw in the Beastie Boys 'Hello Nasty' which features some ultra-low and loud bass. One bass note scared me it was so loud. I was watching my Samson amp's LEDs the whole time and still have never made the Clip light blink. Its almost as if this combination has limitless power.

Well balanced for both music and movies without a doubt! I sold my Hsu MBM-12 because the SVS' have tremendous all-around bass including mid-bass slam.