The official recipe thread......

tommyboy

Groomlakearea51,

I only let the bottle get to room temperature thinking maybe it would blend better with the flour. I do not think it matters much as far as it being stale. The original recipe did not call for stale beer, so it probably would not matter. My beer bottles are 12 ounce size and I have to add 2 ounces of water to it. If you use stale beer and it works let us know. That would make it more useful. My bread once again turned out perfect last night. It is a heavy bread, not a light and fluffy white type.

Wrinkles

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a good summer meal for a pool party: Ribs, Roasted Veggies and Beans.

Eggplant. Cut off skin. Cut into about 3/4" thick pieces. Place on cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Let sit out for about 3 hours.

Cut up several green and red peppers into quarters. Cut a few onions into quarters too, split them into pieces about two layers thick. If you have any carrots lying around skin them. Any asparagus in the fridge cut off the botton 2".

Ribs. Take baby back ribs and put in a caseroel dish with about 2/3 equal parts water and 1/3 part vinegar. You can pile them high. Cover with foil and put in a 300 degree oven. Go take a nap.

Wake up and dump a few cans of beans into a large pot and put on the stove. Turn on.

After the ribs have been in the over for about 2 hours (more if you like the meat falling off the bone). Take out and drain.

Take your eggplant and squeeze with paper towels to get moisture out. The juice will make your hands itch.

Cover the ribs in BBQ sauce. I use store bought stuff.

Cover all of the veggies in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and oregino. In teh peppers and onions just put some into the "cups"

Put everything on the grill. Cook the veggies until they have the black lines on them. Turn the eggplant over, don't worry about the onions and peppers. Turn the asparagus and carrots too.

Serve veggies, ribs and beans. Serve with lots of beer. If everyone likes it try to get them to clean up.

The veggies also make great sandwiches. Melt a white cheese on the eggplant (my grandmother would have issue with not using motzerella but she is a crazy old Itialian woman anyway so don't worry about it. Jack Cheese works fine).

Buffalo Wings.

How can I forget this? I am making these for a party tomorrow and everyone can make these for Sunday.

Get frozen wings and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at about 375 or 400 until they look done. Do not deep fry them. It get suggested but the sauce does not stick to them as well.

Sauce. Frank's Red Hot Sauce and real butter. That's it. Melt 1 part butter and add about 1.5 parts Franks Sauce.

Get the wings out of the over an dip in the sauce. Put back on the cookie sheet and back in the oven for a few miniutes on broil. The sauce will cling to them really nicely. Take out and dip in more sauce. Serve with Bleu Cheese dressing. Don't use ranch, it just is not right. If you want to be really authentic, you can serve with cut celery but nobody will eat the celery.

Whatever you do don't use any different fancy sauce like BBQ or honey mustard. They never taste right. Use chicken brests if you want to do that. Checken brests are less expensive anyway.

From Roadie's Kitchen:

Pure fruit smoothie

4 large frozen strawberries

cranberry-raspberry fruit juice

one medium banana

NO ice!

Put strawberries in blender, cover to the 1 cup line with juice. Allow to sit a few minutes to partly thaw the berries.(otherwise your blender will scream).

Add banana, mix, then blend for one full minute- mmmmm smoothie mmmmm

Roadie's Simple ChixEgg Salad

2 Chicken breasts

3 large Eggs

4 stalks celery, sliced thin

1/2 large onion, chopped

1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

lite Mayo

Old Bay Seasoning

cut up and boil a couple chicken breasts, you can toss three eggs in the same pot to boil at the same time.

wait until they cool then peel the eggs

put chicken in food processor (yes even Roadies have one) grind it up real good

continue adding 1/2 medium onion, half handful of walnuts, then the peeled eggs, don't over-process

dump that into large mixing bowl and change to slicing blade

slice up a bunch of celery- about 4 full stalks should do, this adds crunch (or you can add water chestnuts)

add 2 tsp of Old Bay seasoning, 3 TBSP of lite Mayo, and stir it all up.

Like Chili, it tastes better after all the flavors have melded together overnight. Makes a bunch of sandwiches for a hungry crew.

Should you let the beer go "stale" first? (open bottle, pour in glass let sit for an hour or so?).

yes you do want the beer to go 'flat' ie lose it's carbonation. warm helps with proofing the dough.

CP1 and all,

I think in traditional beer recipes that may be the case for the proofing, but not this recipe. This takes 5 minutes to mix and in the oven it goes for 45 minutes.

I've made 6 loaves to date from 2 different varieties of beer with it being mixed right out of the bottle with carbonation and they have been perfect every time. This bread dough needs no stinkin' proofing.[:D]

Here is the internet recipe location. Other bread recipes are there as well. Enjoy!

http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2005/11/beer-bread-update-whole-wheat-version.html

Wrinkles

Speaking of "Black Lager".....

Glazed Pork Loin

1 x medium sized onion

1 x medium sized "cooking" apple

1 x garlic head (you will need about 6 cloves)

2 x ounces of balsamic vinegar

1 x half or third bottle "Black Lager"

1 x tablespoon rosemary

2 x ounces honey

1 x ounce olive oil

1 x teaspoon black pepper

2 x pound pork loin (you can substitute boneless Boston butt roll)

Coat baking dish with olive oil;

Slice pork loin to about 1/2" depth, perpendicular to length, every 1"; peel garlic cloves, cut in half and stick garlic pieces in the "slices". Place in baking dish.

Side slice onions (make little circles and cut in half); slice up apple. Put in dish around pork loin.

Mix beer, rosemary, olive oil, black pepper, half of the honey, and balsamic vinegar together in small pan on stove. Mix well, etc.

Baste pork loin with the rest of the honey, let sit for about 5 minutes, then baste with the warm spice mix, cover with lid or foil.

Pre-heat oven to 450. Put in the pork and bake for 30 minutes; turn heat down to 400 for 30 minutes; then 350 for 30 minutes. Check with meat thermometer after that until 165+ degrees.

Slice and serve; Apples & onions and juice can be used as a gravy on mashed taters, or side dish.

World's Simplest Oriental Style Baked Chicken & Rice Casserole.... Serves ~3

1 x pound (usually 3 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (on sale here once a month at Publix for $1.99....)

1 x cup rice (white rice or brown)

1 x teaspoon kosher/sea salt

2 x ounces olive oil

1 x teaspoon black pepper

1 x ounce lemon juice

1 x ounce soy sauce

1 x tablespoon tarragon

1 x tablespoon minced garlic (the kind either in oil, or in water)

1 x green bell pepper or 2 ounces of fresh small carrots (optional)

Take a 12" casserole dish (or a dish with 4" sides, but big enough to fit the chicken breasts in with 1/2" space all way round); put in 1 ounce of olive oil. Put in the chicken breasts. Mix the remainder of the oilve oil, pepper, lemon juice, tarragon, salt, soy sauce, and garlic with 2 ounces of water - mix well. Slice up the green pepper (or carrots) into small "chunks" or cubes. Mix the bell pepper (or carrots) with the rice. Pour the rice mixture into all the "gaps" around the chicken breasts. Pour the spice mix over the chicken and rice. Cover with lid or with tightly with foil.

Put in oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour (if you used brown rice, then 1.5 hours). At end of cooking time, turn oven off, check rice but leave covered in the oven for additional 15-20 minutes to absorb remainder of juices.

Remove casserole dish from oven, remove breasts, mix up rice well, then slice chicken and put over (or mix with) rice. Very tasty.....

Optional embellishments....

• You can add about 4-5 sliced & diced jalapenos in with the bell peppers or carrots for a thrill.
  • You can substitute 1/2 ounce of sesame oil to the spice mix instead of the lemon juice for a more "Thai" flavor.

Serve with a cheap high quality white wine.

• 3 weeks later...

ROAST PORK???? Any suggestions

We normally don’t cook roast as we normally to the inlaw dinner thing once a week so we normally get our meat intake then..

Anyway my wife has got some pork.. about a kilo maybe a more maybe a bit less.. we have no idea what to do with it. My wife however is an excellent cook but would like suggestions.

We normally don’t cook roast as we normally to the inlaw dinner thing once a week so we normally get our meat intake then..

Anyway my wife has got some pork.. about a kilo maybe a more maybe a bit less.. we have no idea what to do with it. My wife however is an excellent cook but would like suggestions.
I've got alot of suggestions . Just need to know what cut of pork you have .

it is a cut of shoulder and is approx 1.6 kilos

it is a cut of shoulder and is approx 1.6 kilos

Easy recipe for pork shoulder .

Seer on all sides over medium high heat in a heavy pan or dutch oven using a little butter or oil .

Transfer to covered baking dish or covered dutch oven to a 275 farenheight oven . Throw in some chopped onions , celery and carrotts . Cook for 2 hours and check in the thickest part with a meat thermometer . Should read 160 farenheight , I'm a little confused over the metric to standard conversion thing so I'm guessing your pork shoulder is around 4lbs . Anyway cook until the thermometer reads 160 fareheight .

Remove from oven and let rest covered . In a heavy sauce pan sautee a finely diced granny smith apple and some onion in butter over medium heat . More apple than onion . Sautee for 5 minutes . Add some drippings from the pork along a liberal dose of boubon/coke or a little of both ." A little dissclaimer here - be carefull with the alchohol . Over medium heat you might get a bit of flame so don't freak out just slowly remove the pan from the burner and let it burn the alchohol off . I go for alot of flame ; it caramelizes the apples nicely ."

Add a lttle water or chicken stock to the apple mixture and return to the burner with a pinch of salt . Raise the heat to medium high and bring just to a boil . Remove from heat and let sit while you cut the pork . You can add a pinch of cornstarch to thicken the apple mix if you need or like .

Spoon apples and sauce over pork and serve .

PS - you can also just remove the pork to a rack or cuttingboard and use the drippings and veggies from the pot as the sauce . I would suggest cooking the drippings and veggies in a pot with a little milk or water and skimming off a little fat . Add cornstarch to thiken as desired .

From the kitchen of sunburnwilly [A]

Many thanks SBW. My mouth is watering just reading it.

I have just passed on your recipe to my wife. Hopefully we will have it tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes.

If it tastes half as good as it sounds then we are in for a real treat. Thanks again. [:D]