Substitute woofer for K-33 in Lascala

longdrive03

Yeah, I'm trying to see how close the specs are on this unit. Might not work. But if they are close do you see any problem with the aluminum cone or foam roll surround? I know the K-33 has an accordion edge and paper cone. The K-31-E used in the Jubilee has a rubber surround so I thought it might work. Thanks for the comment.

I will certainly look at the T/S specs first and if not very close won't proceed. My main question is, assumng the T/S specs are very close, does anyone foresee a problem with this driver simply because it has a foam surround and aluminum cone? Certainly don't want any ringing in the cone or a floppy cone because of the foam surround. Thanks for the replies.

1) You should take a close look at the actual basket diameter of the driver and the width of the doghouse which you build.

2) There may be an issue with the forward excursion of the diaphragm. It might bump up against the motorboard on which it is mounted. The K-33 has an extra thick gasket to handle the issue. You may have to design some sort of spacer.

I had wondered about the rubber surround used in the Jubilee. Wouldn't it oil can (move from concave to convex) when air pressure is applied by the movement of the diaphragm? Apparently this is not an issue since the Klipsch engineers would know best, and it works okay.

Wm McD

Certainly don't want any ringing in the cone or a floppy cone because of the foam surround.

If that were to happen, you'd find that one or more of the T/S parameters were off.

Why not just get a K-33 from Klipsch or one of Bob Crites woofers? Both work great in the LS bass bin and they're reasonably priced.

Greg

I don't pretend to know any answers, especially after walking in here after these guys. (they're all the brainiacs in the crowd with pocket protectors) [;)]

I've got a pair of Electrovoice Interface D speakers (bought new by me in 1978) that have some kind of rubber surround on them. The surround rots out on them after about 10 years and has to be redone. I've had it done a couple times now.

I've got a pair of LaScalas with the paper surround (or what ever they use) that I bought new in 1979 and these are still going strong with no foam rot.

Yours might not rot and/or it might not be a big deal but I personally don't like the foam rot.

1) You should take a close look at the actual basket diameter of the driver and the width of the doghouse which you build.

2) There may be an issue with the forward excursion of the diaphragm. It might bump up against the motorboard on which it is mounted. The K-33 has an extra thick gasket to handle the issue. You may have to design some sort of spacer.

I had wondered about the rubber surround used in the Jubilee. Wouldn't it oil can (move from concave to convex) when air pressure is applied by the movement of the diaphragm? Apparently this is not an issue since the Klipsch engineers would know best, and it works okay.

Wm McD

William is right. The surround will press up againts the motorboard just by screwing it onto it.

The K-33 is cheap $$$$$. It also will work better then a much more expensive woofer.

Keep reading the forum. You will see that some of us have replaced the mid. range drivers, horns, tweeters, networks., but we still all use the K-33. The parts we use are also much more expensive then the ones that Klipsch uses. Not the other way around.