Listening

Steve_L

It has been an Interesting Month listening wise for me. I sold my house and downsized. In the Morning I turn on a small CD/AM/FM Player to NPR for the Classical Music. I find this has been very relaxing, and I look forward too this each Morning............

The Only downside is on the Weekends when NPR plays their Weird (to me) programs like Sess Who , or the Radio Book Reader..........

But it has brought me comfort until I can get a new system established.................(depending on future house size). Cool

My father played the viola in the National Symphony in DC for 40
years. His day began with classical music and I used to lie in bed
listening to Bach, Beethoven and Brahms. I have since adopted his
morning habit.

A part of my listening is getting that real instrument reinforcment every 4-6 weeks. Any local HS band concert is excellent for "getting in tune" as Pete Townsend noted.

As for the Classical I start the mornings pretty light as well.

A couple of months ago my 20 year old was complaing of poor rest from sleeping. I got him to put the local Detroit clasical station on at night and he sleeps much better now. He is a retired french horn player.

to quote Neil Young "'Live Music is Best' bumper stickers should be distributed "

I heard a little jazz combo last night at a party. Keys, E Bass, 1965 Slingerland drums (pearl flake) - the kids could really play. I requested a 'slow shuffle in A ' and they ripped one off. Great stuff!

"...I probably spend more time dusting my stuff or chatting about it than listening to it, but I'm not a well man. I'm not allowed a beverage of choice so that may cut down on enjoyment. In my 20's and 30's there was always music in my life. As I get older I just enjoy silence. Is that wrong?"

Pretty much the same over here as far as music goes. I'm not "well" either, but I don't think it relates to my depression. It's a combination of being burned out on the music I've been listening to for 30 years and not being all that thrilled with the recording quality of the majority of things I've bought in the last five years -- and I don't see much point in pursuing good recordings of music I don't like just so I can hear my system sound good.

I will say that at this point in my life I find HT much more enjoyable, and the sound quality of a good DVD or Blu-ray concert makes even the best of my CD's sound profoundly bad by comparison. Silence is preferable to bad recordings that amount to little more than adding to the noise I already have going on in my brain. :)

"...I probably spend more time dusting my stuff or chatting about it than listening to it, but I'm not a well man. I'm not allowed a beverage of choice so that may cut down on enjoyment. In my 20's and 30's there was always music in my life. As I get older I just enjoy silence. Is that wrong?"

Pretty much the same over here as far as music goes. I'm not "well" either, but I don't think it relates to my depression. It's a combination of being burned out on the music I've been listening to for 30 years and not being all that thrilled with the recording quality of the majority of things I've bought in the last five years -- and I don't see much point in pursuing good recordings of music I don't like just so I can hear my system sound good.

I will say that at this point in my life I find HT much more enjoyable, and the sound quality of a good DVD or Blu-ray concert makes even the best of my CD's sound profoundly bad by comparison. Silence is preferable to bad recordings that amount to little more than adding to the noise I already have going on in my brain. :)

I was burned out on music before I got inot tube amps.

I put in a thread in the past month that it would have been better for Sony and Phillips to wait and just implemetn 24 bit instead of the 16 bit CD. Surely the engineers and science dudes working on it must have had a minority opinion the music was lifeless and fatigueing.

Fortunately I can apreciate newer Neil Young, Eagles and others. I like my weekend morning Enya (I know it sounds odd but it is very relaxing stuff) and Harry Potter soundtracks. Occassinaly you find a reisue gem like Dave Edmunds 2 cd box set. I do 3 or 4 box sets a year to hear unreleased versions or songs not published in the past.

I was burned out on music before I got inot tube amps.

I put in a thread in the past month that it would have been better for Sony and Phillips to wait and just implemetn 24 bit instead of the 16 bit CD. Surely the engineers and science dudes working on it must have had a minority opinion the music was lifeless and fatigueing.

I was starting to get burned out on music as well, considering the $#!+ that was constantly being played on the radio in the past several years, not to mention the afformention poor recording.

Ever since getting a much better system as well as going off the beaten path to discover new music, I found it to be much more enjoyable. Me and my friend had so much more fun checking out the new Adagio on YouTube instead of sitting through a boring Bruce Springsteen half-time show, for example.

Getting back to the original question.

Many times, such as tonight, I like to queue up something, either via the music server, or the CD player, or going downstairs and using the turn-table,and just let'er rip. Often times, I'll pull up the forum and surf a bit while doing so (usually just to post what I am listening to in the "Right This Minute" thread). Other times, I'll just sit back and listen (with the requesit post in the "Right This Minute" thread when the album starts).

As to any "listening skills", I say, just queue up your favorite music, sit back and enjoy. Also, I've never really got to wrapped up in the gear itself. Yes, I wanted a really nice sounding rig, and I am quite happy with what I got and how it sounds. I've never really gave any thoughts as to "how would this sound with tubes instead of the B&K SS that I currently have", or "how would this sound if I changed out the CD player", etc. The most likely time I'll get a new CD player is if the current one I have dies (or I find something really friggan sweet at a yard sale or thrift shop, or close-out at a "just cannot pass-up" price, for example). However, I'll admit that I am starting to jones for a new pre/pro to replace this aging Denon AVR-3802 that I am currently using. I really have my eye on the new B&K Ref 70 pre/pro. Also, I would not mind getting a better grade turntable, as well for the downstairs two-channel rig.

I'll usually listen late at night, in the dark, and at a very quiet 60dB or so. I also prefer to listen while sitting in a high-backed chair and will usually listen to entire albums straight through.

If I listen during the day, then I'll crank it up so you can feel the music, but I'll limit that to one or two songs at a time (to protect the ears). I really like music that forces an emotional response - which is a lot easier when it's visceral.

I generally don't like listening to music that requires input from the listener - whether it be social context, the right mood, or whatever....good music, to me, puts you into the mood of the music. I like to treat music like art - not solely entertainment.

I don't often talk about the subjective aspects to music listening and all that because it's going to be totally different for different people. In fact, I very much consider myself an artist first and engineer second....but I'm sure nobody gets that impression from my track record on the forums. It's just way easier to discuss the objective items over the internet. I also lack a common vocabulary to the older generations...

I usually paint late at night,, I have a few mics set up outdoors,,, and mix the sound of wild birds, frogs, crickets, cyotes,,, This gives me the feeling of being closer to the animals i paint,,, In the winter its a different thing,,,listening to the high wind of a snow storm,,mixed with a Mahler Symphony,,At times a dog in the distence barks or a owl screetches... Maybe they dont like my music.

I think I may have a solution for those of you who seemed to be burned out on listening to the same stuff over and over. Simple, listen to something different.

I mean really different. Don't get caught up on the vinyl vs digital thing. Simply go to your local library or a larger library in an adjacent town. Check out their music collection (most are now exclusively CD). Sample some music that is entirely different than what you normally listen to. If you want you can also check out a book that helps describe "what to listen for" etc. You will probably not like all the samples you listen to. That's okay since this is an experiment and not all the samples will be a success. You may be pleasantly surprised by what is out there. A friend of mine normally listens to hand banger music. He got a copy of Bizet's Carmen (wait, isn't that an opera ...). He enjoyed it thoroughly. Perhaps not as everday music, but every once in awhile it brings him pure joy. There is so much to be sampled. If the library does not have a broad enough selection, sometimes campus radio, at odd times during the week, has some stuff that is quite different. In Connecticut, we have an hour devoted to pipe organ music. Some Sundays it is quite interesting, but not every Sunday.

Be daring in your sampling. Don't play it safe.

Good Luck,

-Tom

If you don't like recordings from the last 5 years but earlier ones are fine, then it's obvious that it has nothing to do with your system. It's the way modern recordings are mastered. The funny thing is, DVDs are also mastered poorly, but you just don't notice it because you are caught up with the visual stimuli.

Fortunately I can apreciate newer Neil Young, Eagles and others. I like my weekend morning Enya (I know it sounds odd but it is very relaxing stuff) and Harry Potter soundtracks. Occassinaly you find a reisue gem like Dave Edmunds 2 cd box set. I do 3 or 4 box sets a year to hear unreleased versions or songs not published in the past.

While I am hesitant to question someone who listens to such outstanding music as Harry Potter, I must say that unreleased versions are usually unreleased for a reason: They are second or third-rate crap that the artist and producer originally rejected. Then years later a label decides to cash in and puts out sub-standard work for completists.

I usually paint late at night,, I have a few mics set up outdoors,,, and mix the sound of wild birds, frogs, crickets, cyotes,,, This gives me the feeling of being closer to the animals i paint,,, In the winter its a different thing,,,listening to the high wind of a snow storm,,mixed with a Mahler Symphony,,At times a dog in the distence barks or a owl screetches... Maybe they dont like my music.

This is the bizarrest listening experience I've ever heard of. How do you protect your outside microphones? How do you run the cables into your house?

But, I'd be interested in picking up listening skills from you guys to get more enjoyment out of the music. Any ideas, things you've learned? Rituals of habits that you enjoy while listening? Things not to do? After all, the gear and the music is great, but the end game is what we get from it. At least I think thats the end game? How about you?

Back in my day when young ladies were a good deal more shy, music was used when making-out to enhance the mood for love.

Some do's and don't do's from back then:

DO: Play music that she wants to hear, whether you like it or not. Think folk Joni Mitchell.

DO: Play music with "important" lyrics and pretend that you understand her interpretation of them.

DO: Play records on a turntable with an auto return function. You don't want to be interrupted in the middle of something to lift a tonearm.

DON'T: Play so loud that you can't hear her talk about herself.

DON'T: Criticize the way she gets her fingerprints on the record's grooves and scratches them a little when setting the needle down. She'll peg you as anal and a control freak loser.

DON'T: Obsess on your stereo equipment. Brag up your gear to your buddies. All your girl cares about is whether your hi-fi works or not, and then she wants to forget about it.