LP cleaning with the VPI 16.5 info/questions

USNRET

Edited: newbie to RCM questions posted

There has been several posts around here and there concerning LP cleaners. What do I want? I want a cleaner that a) doesn't cost a fortune, B) is motorized (I think unless someone can tell me not), c) either has self contained vacuum or can be incorporated (with suction relief) into my whole house vacuum. Use? clean a couple of hundred albums and then periodic maintenance of them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your experience would you select 1.5 or 1.5 FI? As I understand it the only difference is manual vs automatic fluid application. Pros ? Cons?

I edited this to correct spelling and was seeing an input for the VPI 16.5. Can we get a comparison?

I don't know what the difference is between manual vs. auto fluid application. Mine has a little button that used to inject fluid onto the cleaning brushes. It stopped working, I had it fixed but it stopped working again. So, I thought to hell with it, and have squirted the fluid myself ever since. Works fine. What you primarily need IMO is the motorized platter and the vacuum.

I have never compared an NG and a VPI.

How many records per week do you anticipate cleaning?

Really only a small amount each week but I need to go thru the several hundred I have now to get them spiffied up. They have been untouched now for 10-15 years, gotta go inspect cull and clean.

Just ordered a VPI 16.5.

OK so I don't know if I'll like it or not; if it'll work or not but since I bought the darn thing maybe I should get some hints from you guys that have used a RCM. What fliud(s) for the first cleaning of old albums that have never been properly cleaned and have been on the shelf for 15-20 years. Then what fluid for 'maintenance' upkeep. Max records before I need to change brushes? If you're familiar with the VPI 16.5 how many brushes/tubes/mats should I put in stock?

OK so I don't know if I'll like it or not; if it'll work or not but since I bought the darn thing maybe I should get some hints from you guys that have used a RCM. What fliud(s) for the first cleaning of old albums that have never been properly cleaned and have been on the shelf for 15-20 years. Then what fluid for 'maintenance' upkeep. Max records before I need to change brushes? If you're familiar with the VPI 16.5 how many brushes/tubes/mats should I put in stock?

I have a Mofi Cleaning brush (pad) with extra self adhesive pads, and I use the VPI brush for the real dirty albums. I use Phoenix cleaning fluid, or home brew made of 1 part 95% isopropol alcohol and 3 parts distilled H2o, and 4 drops of dawn. You'll also want to buy extra strips for the pickup tube.

I buy the fluid with enzmes by the gallon. A gallon will clean a boatload of LP's. I don't know how many it'll clean for sure, but I've had mine for over 6 months and it's still over half full.

I use Phoenix cleaning fluid

Phoenix Record Cleaning Fluid with enzymes or Phoenix II for an alcohol free solution. What's the MPG or should I say APO (album per ounce)?