2 Sub-10's vs. 1 Sub-12 ???

Cpt_John

for good sounding base use only one sub.

I guess I'd agree, although I'd modify your statement slightly..."for good sound bass use only one sub...for GREAT sounding bass use two."

It doesn't take that much work to make dual subs work together and the results are well worth it.

I have a few quote's from another forum I am on, this person and I talk alot about multiple subs

"Unfortunately, most people are under the impression that two subwoofers are for creating louder bass. Although you can easily do that with two subwoofers, the idea of multiple subwoofers is about creating a smooth and even bass across the room and increase the sweet spot."

"I am always surprised by people in other threads that have one subwoofer and make outrageous claims about their subwoofer and how it rattles and shakes the house and windows. Something tells me that they haven't positioned and calibrated their subs properly."

"The function of a sub is not to shake the house and create earthquakes. The sub has the important function of creating low bass extension for movies and music. Sometime you may have to calibrate your subwoofer(s) differently for music and some movies."

I agree with 100% of what this says. I don't have both my subs volume turned up, they are were less then 50% and recently I turned them just pst 50%. I also have the db turned down in my receiver. I know for sure If I turned the volume up on both the subs and then in my receiver 1 Sub-12 would be too much for my apt. That was NOT the level of bass I was looking for, but the way I have it set now is. Of course I want to experiment with mixing 1 or 2 sealed subs into the mix.

• Like 1

Any multi sub set up suggestions? Tricks that you guys have found to work?

I'll ask again:
I swear my mind plays tricks on me as I toggle the between 0 and 180. If a guy was to get a cheap SPL meter from Radio Shack would that tell you if you had it right? Thinking the highest SPL is the setting that is in phase.

I fond that to be completely opposite it was way easier to have my 15" sub in the right front corner & my 12" sub in the left back corner both set at 0 phase & the level set to 10 o’clock also I have my yamaha receiver that I use as the pre/pro an set the LFE to 0 , work`s awesome I also have the crossover set to 60

I fond that to be completely opposite it was way easier to have my 15" sub in the right front corner & my 12" sub in the left back corner both set at 0 phase & the level set to 10 o’clock also I have my yamaha receiver that I use as the pre/pro an set the LFE to 0 , work`s awesome I also have the crossover set to 60

On THX's website, this is how they recommend setting them up. I unfortunately don't have the room for it though.........

Hey carbon summit, I don't know anything about SPL meter. Hear lots of people using them, I just never have. I have both subs set to '0' on the phase. I believe if they were across the room from another then the phase would be oppsite.

I'm not really looking to get more sound but I figure if both are set at the right phase then that is when I'd get the most and know I have it right.

Does anyone know how do people use SPL meters to set the EQ? I can see to set the level of each speaker but I was reading if you don't like the settings your auto set up gives you you can fine tune it with a SPL meter. I played with my receiver and it doesn't seem to put a test tone out for each frequency on the EQ unless I'm missing something.

• 1 month later...

for my limited budget the 2 sub 10s i own sound good and balanced to my ear understanding that money can buy better

Where do you have your's placed at?

I've got both mine in front right now, when I had one I had it in the rear of the room, and I've been thinking about moving one back to the rear opposite corner but I like the look of two in the front. I know its not about looks, its about the sound...

I blame Hamp for posting that pic of two in front, it planted the seed and now I can't get it out of my mind!!

"Although you can easily do that with two subwoofers, the idea of multiple subwoofers is about creating a smooth and even bass across the room and increase the sweet spot."

With the layout of my living room/Temp HT, this is my problem. I had to install the Sub 10 in one corner of the room. I watch tv basically direclty across from the TV. When there is a bass section in a movie, I can tell exactly where it is coming from. Would adding a 2nd Sub 10, eliminate the exact direction of the sub sounds. The sound really isn't uniform. In the pic you can see how my Living area is setup and where I think I would like to add another sub.

Also how would I connect 2 subs to one Pre out from my receiver? Do I just use a splitter?

Posted Image

Yes you just use a splitter & that placement should work ,but I would try other placements just to make suer that`s the best place for it ,also even though you just have one sub it should not be localized ,what do you have the x-over set to , it should be set to 80 hz our lower in any case I`m a firm believer in the 2 sub`s for HT & music it just makes for a better more evened out bass & with 2 you don`t have to crank it & in turn make it boomy or bottom out

Thanks for that reply.

The x-over is set just about straight up which is 80hz (I think) and the gain is just pass straight up.

I did try other places but with this room being used as a living area also, I really didn't want it in the way of anything else. Where I have the one at now is the only practicle place without getting in the way of my furniture because the TV unit is stationary and cannot be moved.

It really isn't bad, but you can sit and tell exactly where the bass is coming from. I'd rather add one opposite the other and have a more unifor sounding bass. I'll try it and see. If I don't like it I can return or sell it.

Your gain sounds fine or you may need to adjust depending on where you place the subs. Your X-over is not correct, You should have your receiver x-over set to 80Hz and on your subs turn them all the way up.

Your receiver will be controlling the bass level that way and your opening up your subs for control.

• Like 1

Two subs better than one

“Intuition tells us that putting a large number of subwoofers at

different locations in a room is likely to excite room modes in

a more “balanced” manner, as compared to a single

subwoofer.”

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

“Configurations 6

and 10-12 show the best results. Subwoofers at each wall

midpoint (#11) shows the lowest Std, Max-Min and Max-

Ave. Subwoofers in all four corners (#10) is almost as good

and shows a strong low frequency support. “

(The best position for four subs is mid point on the four walls or in the corners. Away from the side walls, but spaced equidistant on the front and backs walls is also good.)

Conclusions

“For practical number of subwoofers,there appears to be no obviouscorrelation. There is certainly nojustification for using more than four. Four subwoofers are enough to getthe best results of any configurationtried. Two subwoofers is very nearlyas good and has very good lowfrequency support as well. One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms ofStd, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support lowfrequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposingwall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at themidpoints and gives a much better LF factor. Onesubwoofer in each corner also has good low frequencysupport, but does not perform quite as well as onesubwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-aveand Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered,subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred.

There is a lot more to the perceived performance of a system than the frequency response measured at the listening position. I think it would be incorrect to read that paper and conclude that any 2 subwoofers is always better than 1 subwoofer. Their conclusions are being made in the context of dealing with room modes.

• 2 weeks later...

Your gain sounds fine or you may need to adjust depending on where you place the subs. Your X-over is not correct, You should have your receiver x-over set to 80Hz and on your subs turn them all the way up.

Your receiver will be controlling the bass level that way and your opening up your subs for control.

I'll check my receiver. It's a Denon 889 and I think I set the LFE Xover to 80hz. I'll see this evening.

Checked everything and the 889 is set to 80 hz. Gain is a little less than 1/2 (I get too much rattle when it higher) and X-over on sub is about 70hz. This is where I get my best sound for the location. This setting sounds good with music, cd's, and Blurays. I can't move the sub anywhere else because the way the room is designed. Wife doesn't want it in walking areas.

Thanks for the help

OAN, I ran HDMI from my Samy BDP1500 to the 889 just to take advantage of TruHD. I don't have a tv with HDMI so I don't get that great of video to my RPTV. Boy what a difference the Quintet III & sub sounds. Batman:Dark Knight sounded so much better. Music cd's played through the BDP sounded totally awesome. For the price these speakers are great.