Ouch

John Warren

He did not let go of the coffee. He rocks.

Of COURSE he didn't let go of his $4.50 coffee, stupid yuppie scum didn't know enough not to wear ridiculous tennis shoes out in the frozen slush or imagine the consequences of attempting to traverse an ice covered ramp in same.

It's BOOTS weather guys!

M

Oh, I've had my fair share.

A few years ago, I got done skiing for the day and decided to head into town to see a movie. Walking across the parking lot to the theater, slipped on black ice and did the same thing that guy did! It was dark that section of the lot did not have any lights, thus I did not even see the ice. Just walking and all of a sudden - WHAM, ended up on my @$$ with a few not-so-nice words to say along with it. It hurt like hell, but at least did not really injure myself. I was thinking after that, "Great - after skiing all day, only to rack myself up trying to walk across a parking lot to see a friggan movie!"

Then just this past Saturday - did a nice one to my knee while up on the ski hill (just what I need with only two weeks out before going to Colorado on a ski trip). On the very last run down the hill, at the end of the daytime patrol shift (as the evening shift was coming on - the mountain has night skiing until 10 PM, thus it is patrolled in two shifts - a daytime shift and a nighttime shift, with the switch at around 4:30ish or so), one other patroller and myself found an open hydrant when the snowmaking team fired up the snowmaking system. This was on one of the black diamond runs. I clicked out of my skis to walk down to the hydrant to shut it off, only to slip on the ice, slide down the hill a good 100 feet, in the meantime, cracking my knee pretty d[:@]mn hard on a rock! The section of the run where I was trying to get to the hydrant was pretty darn steep (this was, afterall, one of the expert runs!). After nearly a week later, it still friggan hurts! I'll have to wear my kneebrace when I head up there to the ski hill again tommorrow (as well as pop a couple of Aleve tablets), as well as heading out to Colorado this next weekend (I paid $1,500 for that trip, and I am still going, bad knee or not!). Oh the fun and joys of the ski patrol sometimes. [:P] Oh well, been doing it for nearly 10 years, but still love it, despite these mishaps.

I did that outside a nice club in Chi Town back in the early 70s. Slapped my hands on the ground as I hit the sidewalk. My hands hurt for a couple of weeks. It might have be the Harvey Wallbangers I ingested...Indifferent

Ouch. Chi Town in the 70's. Couple of questions.

Did your Klogs fly off and hit you in the head?

Did the sudden motion get all of your gold chains and medallions caught up in your groovy chest hair?

Was your polyester suite so slick that it sent you down the street like you were on a sled?

And finally, did you blame the establishment?

Wearing boots and bluejeans... didn't have any gold then... all I have now are a few krugerands... What chest hair?

We went there after a gig at the Quiet Knight (opened for Tom Paxton) or a late recording session. I don't remember which. By the tiem we were at the club, I probably already was wearing an illegal smile.

Blame the establishment? For me being stupid and drunk and clumsy? Just because the sidewalk was that bumpy packed snow turned to ice...impossible enough to walk on when you are sober. [:|]

He did not let go of the coffee. He rocks.

Of
COURSE he didn't let go of his $4.50 coffee, stupid yuppie scum didn't
know enough not to wear ridiculous tennis shoes out in the frozen slush
or imagine the consequences of attempting to traverse an ice covered
ramp in same.

It's BOOTS weather guys!

M

Again, it's a minor point of contention, but I don't think it's a $4.50 coffee. It looks like Dunkin' Donuts coffee. And I'm not sure he saved it either, looks like he gave it a pretty good squeeze in the last picture.

(And
speaking as someone who lives in the Frozen Tundra of Minnesota, I wear
boots when I'm shoveling, or going to be outside for an extended period
of time, but not as a day to day thing.)

post-4951-13819445409078_thumb.jpg