Help with wiring my sub to RF 7's

Pete H

I have a velodyne 1215 and I want to wire it into the system to produce the best results. My main speakers are RF 7's and I'm running everything with an Onkyo TX 805. Should I just keep it wired up straight from the back of the receiver (single rca out) and they y it into the Velodyne or should I then come out of the sub and feed the RF 7's and use the crossover in the sub? I do have the ability to change the signal that is going to the RF 7's through the Onkyo from full range on up, so I'm not sure if using the sub to send the signal will do anything to improve the quality of the sound. I mainly listen to audio and occasionaly some movies but my main concern is the audio quality. I would also like to ask if there is any reason to bi wire or bi amp the RF 7's. I have looked through as many of these threads to try and find the definitive answer to some of these questions but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Onkyo TX
SR 805

Onkyo Integra 890

Mitsubishi WD 62

2 RP 3's

RF7 Velodyne VA
1512 RF7

RF 35 RF35

RB 5 RB 5

Just run the RCA from the sub out connection on your receiver to the sub. The receivers crossover will take care of what goes where. Use normal speaker wire connections to the RF-7's. No need to bi-wire or bi-amp as long as your wire is sufficiently sized.

Thanks for taking the time. That's what I thought, but I've been out of the game for a while and Quad was hot when I did this in the past, and now there's just a lot more stuff. The only follow up comment regarding this is that if I wire it straight forward as you both agree is the best, I can't run the RF 7's on full signal and I believe they sound better when they're set that way, it cuts the sub out??????????????????

Thanks Again,

Pete

I mainly listen to audio and occasionaly some movies but my main concern is the audio quality

This what has worked best for me with an RF-7 system primarily set for music:

Speakers set to LARGE.

LFE + MAIN

Crossover frequency on receiver = 60hz

Crossover on sub disabled or turned all the way up.

Set up this way....the RF-7's are in essence running full range. The 7's are cranking out bass and the sub is only for complimenting the speakers and filling in the low end. Sub location is critical......trial and error contingent on your room.

If properly set up you should not hear the sub....nor be able to locate it. However, it will add body to your speakers while enhancing mids and highs. The louder you go, the more you'll feel it......lends itself to a live performance for sure. [:D]

Just run the RCA from the sub out connection on your receiver to the sub. The receivers crossover will take care of what goes where. Use normal speaker wire connections to the RF-7's. No need to bi-wire or bi-amp as long as your wire is sufficiently sized.

What he said!! [Y]

Thanks for taking the time. That's what I thought, but I've been out of the game for a while and Quad was hot when I did this in the past, and now there's just a lot more stuff. The only follow up comment regarding this is that if I wire it straight forward as you both agree is the best, I can't run the RF 7's on full signal and I believe they sound better when they're set that way, it cuts the sub out??????????????????

You can run your RF-7s from full range on up to a 200Hz low end cutoff. Just go into your 805's menu where you can adjust the crossover settings for each speaker. If you want to run your RF-7s full range (or Full Band as Onkyo calls it) just select that and then select Double Bass to On and it will also send bass information to your subwoofer.