I'll try my luck here... help needed

DU73

sooo.. I have Sony Cyber-shot still camera (model number DSC-P93A) all I am wanting to do is connect the camera to the computer via the USB cable that came with the camera.

OK - please be gentle as I have no idea about computers,,, like no idea.

I have had this camera for a few years now and has always worked fine, and the usb connection has always been fine.

ANYWAY...

for some reason, now when I try to connect the camera to my computer via usb cable the computer just freezes within seconds.. nothing comes up to show it has identified the camera.. nothing happens except for the freezing.

I have done a bit of surfing on the net and I have found that when I take the memory stick out the computer does not freeze but it also does not recognise the camera either.

I have reinstalled the original cd rom that came with the camera and installed the usb driver (also on cd rom) - but this has not helped.

Though I should mention - just to clear up some space on my computer I deleted some programs that I thought I either no longer used or needed. But this should not be a problem right since I have got the original cd rom and reinstalled the disc.

Any suggestions.

• Moderators

I can't help much but do you have the slots on the front of the computer to just insert the memory card instead of using the usb ?

I use to connect the usb cable and I switched to just inserting the memory card in to the slot and is appears to be faster and easier. One other thing is if you had a program for photos, I use Adobe Photoshop Elements but any would do, that would probably let the computer accept the camera connection.

All of this is just a guess, I know just enough to get by with a computer.

Thanks Dtel. Unfortunately I dont have to slot at the front. My computer is probably about 5 years old now give or take a year ot two. I recon computers are a lot like AV receivers and sound formats.. to keep up with the latest bells and whistels you need to update pretty much the instant you brought your new one..

I'll give the Adobe Photoshop a go.

All the suggestions above are good ones. A couple more, if those don't work:

Have you tried a different USB port?

Do you have another computer you can try it out on? You shouldn't really need to install any software on the computer to plug in a digital camera. Windows will recognize the camera and ask what you want to do with it.

When you uninstalled programs that you weren't using anymore, how did you do that? Did you go to add/remove, or did you just delete? If you did the latter, that could be a problem.

When was the last time you were able to use it? Can you do a system restore back to that date?

Hope there is something useful here.

• Moderators

If the computer is 5 years old you may want to try another program that may be a little easier on the computer, there are many free programs you can download just to try with your computer. Most of the free downloads have the most commonly used tools to correct photos and would not be as hard on your computer.

DownUnder.....Are you anywhere near the wildfires?

Tarheel - thank you so much for your concern. no I am not near the flames.. Thankfully. I can not believe it.. it is absolutly devestating, over 108 people have lost their lives and this number is sure to rise and that is not included the injured and the countless number of homes that have been destroyed and the animals that would have had no chance to excape. I feel for these people so much. and to think that most of the fires were delibretly lite is just impossible to comprehend.

edit - i will also mention that I was probably 30 minutes drive away from where the nearest fire was burning - but I was never in danger - i could never see smoke or flames.

Thank you all for your responses, I'll take my camera to work today and try my luck on the computer I use there.

I'll try out all your ideas and let you know the outcome.

Have a great day. it's 7.47 am here on Monday morning I have to go and get ready for work [:'(]

Ciao

ok - so i tried the camera at work - i did not put in no cd to install software - I just plugged in the usb and turned on camera and all was good. so clearly there is something going on with my pc at home.

When I get home I will try your above suggestions and hopefully all will be good.

DownUnder.....Are you anywhere near the wildfires?

Tarheel - thank you so much for your concern. no I am not near the flames.. Thankfully. I can not believe it.. it is absolutly devestating, over 108 people have lost their lives and this number is sure to rise and that is not included the injured and the countless number of homes that have been destroyed and the animals that would have had no chance to excape. I feel for these people so much. and to think that most of the fires were delibretly lite is just impossible to comprehend.

edit - i will also mention that I was probably 30 minutes drive away from where the nearest fire was burning - but I was never in danger - i could never see smoke or flames.

Good to hear. Saw coverage of the devastation and thought about you after seeing your post this morning. Stay safe!

Have you tried a different USB port?

Yes - but same old story - freezes with seconds of connect camera via usb

Do you have another computer you can try it out on? You shouldn't really need to install any software on the computer to plug in a digital camera. Windows will recognize the camera and ask what you want to do with it.

Yes - tried on a newer model computer - did not install any programs and worked straigtaway using the same usb cable

When you uninstalled programs that you weren't using anymore, how did you do that? Did you go to add/remove, or did you just delete? If you did the latter, that could be a problem.

everything went fine, no problems or errors and went to add/remove

When was the last time you were able to use it? Can you do a system restore back to that date?

last time was a few weeks ago the latest and I have done a few system restore even did a restore and set the date in early December to no effect.

I spoke to a guy at work who works on problem solving with computers re IT help desk. He is coming around mid week.

My last chance to explore is downloading a new program.. so i'll check that out but unsure where to look or which one to use.

Thanks everyone again.