Check Out My New Belles!

garymd

Cornwalls will be tough to beat.

You got that right Gilbert. My initial reaction was OMG! What did I just do???? It was a panic situation. I've since settled down but I haven't been back to the house for any more listening. I now have some advice as to placement, toe-in and a couple other minor adjustments to make and I'm looking forward to my next trip east. I'll be sure to let you know what I think after a few more sessions. Once spring comes, I'll be there quite a bit. Can't wait!

And yes, Cornwalls are tough to beat!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cornwalls will be tough to beat.

You got that right Gilbert. My initial reaction was OMG! What did I just do???? It was a panic situation. I've since settled down but I haven't been back to the house for any more listening. I now have some advice as to placement, toe-in and a couple other minor adjustments to make and I'm looking forward to my next trip east. I'll be sure to let you know what I think after a few more sessions. Once spring comes, I'll be there quite a bit. Can't wait!

And yes, Cornwalls are tough to beat!

It would be neat to spend a month with Cronwall II or IIIs. I only heard Trey's at the Klipschfest mixer in the hotel meeting room 5 years ago. Not an optimum listening room.

Trachorn Belles would subjectively stomp all over a Cornwall from a music realism aspect. Some people seem to love the "rock sound" in a low end performance evaluation of a Cronwall.

All those "flavors or ice cream" to apreciate..

Chorus IIs would probably give Corns a run for their money. [8-|]

• 1 month later...

Still wish I had kept the Cornwalls but I admit the Belles are beginning to grow on me. I'm going to pick up an RSW-12 to help out the bottom end but it's really the mid-bass that has that thin, hollow sound I've heard so many folks complain about, even with Khorns. Upgraded crossovers took care of that issue with my Khorns but I didn't get the same results with the Belles.

Hi Gary:

It took about 4 years for the Belles to grow on me but a lot that had to do with not spending much time with them. The K-Horns got the lion share of my attention as well as the Cornwalls.

It wasn't until this past December that I made it a point to give the Belles a fair shake. Now that I have spent more time with them, I've warmed up to them but they still won't supplant (not even close) the K-Horns and Cornwalls as my primary two channel listening rig. I haven't tried adding a sub into the mix, so maybe I'll explore that option in the near future.

The 2-Channel Belle ('87 Oak with Bob's A/AA's, 10 feet a part, listening positions is about 6.5 feet) set-up is as follows:

-ST-70 point to point wired (Thanks to Craig's handiwork. Craig will be able to explain better what he did but it was a joint experiment to see if it was a worthwhile/economical mod for ST-70.)

-JM-BB with all the ala cart add-ons

-MusicHall 2.1 TT

Cheap DVD player for CD duty.

Still wish I had kept the Cornwalls but I admit the Belles are beginning to grow on me. I'm going to pick up an RSW-12 to help out the bottom end but it's really the mid-bass that has that thin, hollow sound I've heard so many folks complain about, even with Khorns. Upgraded crossovers took care of that issue with my Khorns but I didn't get the same results with the Belles.

Possilby you have been spoiled by those inexpensive K Horns. [8-|]

Have you changed the jumpers on the networks?

Since it is a mid bass deficieny most likley a Trachorn would not help.

JJ - I'll let you know how the sub works out assuming I get it. I'm having a bit of trouble scheduling pickup. Of course I sold a perfectly good RSW-12 to a friend last year when you helped me out with the 15. I'm buying back at a $100 premium.[:(]

Rick - I haven't brought the ALK Jrs back since I tried them initially. What setting do you use? I kept it on 4 and x like I use on my Khorns but was going to try 5 and 2 my next trip.

JJ - I'll let you know how the sub works out assuming I get it. I'm having a bit of trouble scheduling pickup. Of course I sold a perfectly good RSW-12 to a friend last year when you helped me out with the 15. I'm buying back at a $100 premium.Sad

Rick - I haven't brought the ALK Jrs back since I tried them initially. What setting do you use? I kept it on 4 and x like I use on my Khorns but was going to try 5 and 2 my next trip.

I think I went to 2 and 5 after a few months at 4 and x. I will check and let you know it was a year ago I changed.

Well.......problem solved! I bought the RSW 12 yesterday and hooked it up last night. I initially tried the "Auto On" feature using the internal crossover and got extremely poor results. The sub didn't seem to know when to kick in no matter what setting I tried. Maybe it's because I'm only using phono??? I don't know. Anyway, I switched to the LFE mode, adjusting the volume on occasion for bass heavy or bass light recordings. BINGO!!! Truly amazing results. I played album after album after album and it sounds fantastic. I've never been a big fan of 2 channel sub use and I don't use one with either my Khorns or Cornwalls but with the Belles I think it's an absolute necessity (at least with my setup and ears).

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I'm no longer in the market for Cornwalls.[<:o)] I think I will be extremely satisfied with this setup for a very long time![Y]

I was reflecting on this one for a while.

It may be for the best for me to hear K Horns very rarely and having a bad room for them. I hear mostly Belles and LaScalas (Franken Scalas) from the Heritage line. Chorus IIs allot as well.

Chorus IIs bass digs deeper while lacking the attack or decay in the bass that a folded horn would have.

Parrots K Horns, in exceptional corners with VRDs had awesome bass.

• 10 months later...

Mr. Boomac (Scotty of course) was kind enough to drive from Wisconsin to PA to Delaware so yours truly could round out his heritage collection. Did I mention he had to practically carry these up the seller's basement stairs by himself? I found out just what a task that must have been as Rplace (Richie Rich of course) and I carried them up the steep stairs at my house and into my music room. After lugging the Belles around, Cornwalls seemed Heresy-like in weight as we loaded the '83s back into Scott's truck for the ride back to WI.

Here are some pics:

Beautiful set of Belles. I hope you are still enjoying them. Boxx

Thanks. Wish I still was. One of the biggest audio mistakes I made was selling the Belles. Coming soon will be the 4th pair of Klipsch I've had in that room. It's amazing how your ears can adjust to a pair of speakers. I still prefer the Corns with certain music but overall, the Belles just took it to another level. Oh well, live and learn.

The 4 pairs I've had in that room in less than 2 years:

'83 CWOs

'98 Oak Belles

'79 CBRs

'74 CWO Verts - coming soon