Perfered Material

CIGARBUM

eh, peel the label off the scotch bottle, damp (dampen, increase wetness, whatever) with cigar butt saliva and stick to wall of speaker. Inside/outside your choice. Several layers improve the sound or decrease your attention to detail. Wanta ride to TN?

Sorry, can't help except with the material used to damp car body interiors.

R-11 insulation, stapled, will work. The closest to the original brown kraft paper "batting" would be: S-7074 (indented Kraft paper) which you would "stack" and staple in the same number for thickness as in the Cornwall cabinets. Alternate is S-1556 or S-656 which is almost identical to the factory batting. Look also at S-3576 and S-666, etc.

www.uline.com

They also have the really, really good stuff for packing and shipping speakers....

I did that for one. Was going to see if I liked it compared to the other one with nothing in it. I could not tell any difference, so never did the other one. Now I have forgotten which one has the padding.

Bob

Klipsch generally uses a 1" grey medium density open cell foam, non-convoluted. They have been using this material across the board for many years now.

The idea is just to reduce standing waves inside the cabinet which can be achieved by lining one of each of two parallel sides. That is all that is necessary. Over-stuffing is not helpful.

I'm sure it is a very good product, the only problem is that to line the inside of both bass bins I need about 18 sheets = Approx. $300.

Got to be a cheaper way.

I've seen the picture of your "redneck" audio system. You got enough high dollar gear to fuel ebay for a day.

Cough it up! Posted Image

Where do you get the material, the stuff you said convoluted something. is it cheap like fiber fil??

Thanks Mike

CB

CB, it's just like what we would call "foam rubber"; if you have access to a pair of Heresy-II's, it's the same material they use folded over the woofer. Open cell means that it "breathes". A store that sells mattresses would also have it as a "mattress pad", but will have the funny bumps on one side (no effect). El cheapo "camping pads" at walmart are also similar and would work.

I'm sure it is a very good product, the only problem is that to line the inside of both bass bins I need about 18 sheets = Approx. $300.

Got to be a cheaper way.

The cheapest way I know of is to find a restaurant which uses lots of eggs, and gets its eggs by the flats, with the flats being the paper type material..take those flats and staple them inside the cabinets. Works just fine. Ever try using the blanket insulation used by siding companies to wrap a house before they install the siding? That works too...always lots of scraps around the job sites..you picking them up saves them from having to do it themselves. There is ALWAYS a cheap alternative!

Dickason did some pretty exhaustive testing in the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, and that egg crate stuff is pretty much useless. If you want to damp(en) the walls, you need something with layers, like the sound barrier stuff I used. If you are concerned with interior reflections, good old 1" fiberglass is hard to beat, but messy, of course. There is a material made by Owens-Corning they call #705 that is a stiff 1" fiberglass material made for insulating. Koonce and Wright used it in a subwoofer they built for Audio Express a few years ago, and reported very good results. They remarked that the same material is used in some very high end speakers. I called around looking for it, and found a supplier locally, because I'm intending to replicate their sub.