so its not like you can fudge the whole 2.83V as actually being 2W into
4ohms....Thus, bring out the Chorus II brochure:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1041389/Chorus%20II%20brochure.pdf

If
you look closely, you'll notice that the entire woofer section is about
3dB down from the HF, except for the very bottom where its tuned a bit
high to get a little bass boost (but it's still down relative to the
HF). It's claiming that 0 on the chart is 100dB, so I'm not sure how to
rationalize that with my prediction, but the LF is still down a bit.

So
all that to say, if you're running an active xover, you can
dramatically improve the LF on the Chorus II by bringing that woofer up
a few dB. Couple that with the awesome performance of the passive
radiator and I think it'll give the Lascala II a run for its money (not
to mention way better LF extension).

That said, I've not created
a new network that pads the MF and HF down to match the LF better. With
room gain and the effects of a corner and all that, the lower bass
kinda gets built up a bit more relative to the other frequencies so
it's not quite as bad...you kinda just get a little deemphasis in the
lower mids where the top of the woofer's passband is.

The other
thing I noticed with the Chorus II is the wild impedance response
around 6kHz or so. Even with some acceptably low output impedance
amplifiers, you'll easily see a dB or two of emphasis at 6kHz...I think
this is mostly why a lot of people say that the Chorus II needs some
juice to have some low-end. What I think people are actually hearing is
the lower output impedance of the higher power amplifiers...which in
turn will result in less of a spike in the frequency response at 6kHz.
Less ringing crap at 6kHz means the bass is relatively louder, but it's
not really the bass that was fixed...

My solution for this
behavior was to lowpass the squawker at a slightly lower frequency. I
don't remember the specific cap value changes I made, but I can
probably look that up if anyone is interested. It should also be noted
that the squawker was exhibiting some extra output around 6kHz
too....so that in conjuction with the impedance effects really made it
sound bad....low passing lower flattens the response too.

After
making those changes, I decided to experiment a bit with film
capacitors too. Long story short, swapping over to films took a lot of
graininess out of the mids. To be honest, I am surprised how drastic
the difference was. Now I'm not sure if the lytics from the early 80's
were already crapping out, but the difference it made in my application
was sufficient to be able to detect it without knowing that their were
films in there. In other words, my lab partners had a lot of fun
switching which Chorus II was connected to the amps we were working on
(only one of them had the xover mods).

Maybe one of these days
I'll get around to making a schematic of the changes I made, or maybe
revisit and tweak things in further. However, going to actives brought
the Chorus II's to whole new levels so I kinda wrestle with the thought
of all that work....but I guess not everyone has 6 amplifiers and a
3-way stereo xover at their fingertips...

8 Channels, one box. 20 some odd pounds, SMPS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/QSC-CX168-8-CHANNEL-POWERED-AMPLIFIER-90W-8-ohms-per_W0QQitemZ280313313319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item280313313319&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A4|294%3A50

Enough to do a 3 way active system with something like the Behringer DCX-2496 and have a pair of channels left over for say a sub or two. I forgot to mention, it's configurable from 4-8 channels, each pair of channels are bridgeable.

AB+B.....yuck? Crossover distortion city...and even moreso if you end up bridging it. Notice they only post distortion specs at full or near full output (it's only gonna get worse as you go down). Might be ok for a woofer, but a super efficient squawker ain't gonna be too happy.

If you wanted to go the Behringer route, I'd invest in Sfogg's digital output mod and then feed that directly into that Panny digital receiver thing he's got going on...I think it's got 6 channels?

• 2 weeks later...

Man. I just hooked up these Chorus II's where my LS II's sit. These are some nice speakers. And to think they are STOCK! OMG.

Who.....not sure I'm gonna mess with actives on these to improve the bass. I think I will change out the caps to some savy overpriced stuff and have BEC do his tweeter diaphram thingy.

I had heard Forte II's a long time ago and remembered really liking them. Never heard the chorus. I'm pleased.

The bass is much diiferent that the cornwall despite the quote "chorus is a cornwall in another box". A Klipsch engineer once told me that.

jc

Man. I just hooked up these Chorus II's where my LS II's sit. These are some nice speakers. And to think they are STOCK! OMG.

Who.....not sure I'm gonna mess with actives on these to improve the bass. I think I will change out the caps to some savy overpriced stuff and have BEC do his tweeter diaphram thingy.

I had heard Forte II's a long time ago and remembered really liking them. Never heard the chorus. I'm pleased.

The bass is much diiferent that the cornwall despite the quote "chorus is a cornwall in another box". A Klipsch engineer once told me that.

jc

Well Mr. Deface the 1201 in your avatar,

Please explain the LF difference in the two. (as to your ear)

tc

The chorus bass isn't as hard hittin. But "smoother"...not sure...just a few hours of listening.

The tweeter is good...better than the CW. Now the midrange is not open like my la scala II's. An easy noticed difference. My wife walked in the room and said...."not near as good as those" (LS II's).

curious what a cap upgrade will do to the mids.

jc

You don't necessarily need actives to pad down the MF...but I think padding it down somehow is required to experience just what the LF can do....the passives just rock.

The polar response of the midrange is definitely a lot narrower...not sure if that accounts for the openness thing or not?

The midrange cap is a cheap electrolytic -- the midrange has no depth at all. I did Rick Flynn's Chorus II's on site at Audiokarma a few years ago, I thought it was a real nice improvement. I thought the sound was very well balanced. Regardless of the source material, I never felt the top was running away from the bottom. It's easier to work with placement than it is to modify the filter -- where even after modification -- you are still left with working out the placement issue. When I had the RF-7's, it was surprising the difference even a few inches made. Replacing the stock resistor with a Mills warms up the signature a bit as well. People don't like to hear me say that, but it's true.

Any particular brand of cap you liked better Dean? Where is/was the best place to get them?

Did you stay with stock values?

Ever change to TI diaphragms on mids or tweeter? If so, did this make it necessary to alter the crossover values?

On the mil specs, you got a source for them... and stock value or alteration?

From reading what Mike Bentz said (I think it was him) , the mids needed to be padded down a wee bit. I wonder if that would be the case after the caps/diaphragms were changed?

Thanks for all your help!

The chorus bass isn't as hard hittin. But "smoother"...not sure...just a few hours of listening.

The tweeter is good...better than the CW. Now the midrange is not open like my la scala II's. An easy noticed difference. My wife walked in the room and said...."not near as good as those" (LS II's).

curious what a cap upgrade will do to the mids.

jc

Curious as to which speaker you are referring to. When you say bass isn't as hard hitting are you referring to your LS II's or Cornwalls. If it is the Cornwall do you have them there now or just thinking back? The best description I have for a Cornwall cranked up is a "rumble box"(Duke Spinner). I have found that the Chorus II has quite an impedance swing and actually loves power to improve the bass. At 500wpc it is hitting hard and appears to want more, unreal.

I would hope your LS II has a better midrange for the huge price difference. I think that is one of the highlights of the LS is the midrange. Back in 1990 I felt the Chorus II mid was a huge improvement over what they had in the Chorus and Forte let alone the Cornwall. Then again I was not impressed later with their KLF's. I personally felt there was a backward movement in sound and development needless to say construction. IMHO but you know what they say about opinions.

The Mills resistors are wire-wound so there's going to be a little inductance to them...I've not measured to see if this is a possible influence or not. The Mills resistors are also designed to be heat-sinked. Even the act of soldering will dramatically affect it's resistance...they behave like a really slow PTC, which when in series with a driver will behave like a compressor. Sadly, that compression is nonlinear with frequency due to the driver's impedance. Mounting them to a heatsink (which is required for their 50W power handling) dramatically reduces the thermal nonlinearity at lower levels. This is one of the reasons that autoformers/transformers are nicer for MF/HF attenuation...