The Monarchy Audio SM-70 and the Longest post known to man...

mobile homeless

quote:

I spend time listening to the likes of Metallica, Pantera, Fuel, and some other somewhat obnoxious music (Snip)

I just had to comment on that! Smile.gif Didn't know there were any other "Metal Heads" around here! Don't get me wrong, I listen to everything. Last night was Ella & Louis, Willie Nelson - Stardust, CCR - Cosmos Factory, and to homage Mobles review, Jimmi - Axis Bold as Love (All vinyl BTW). But nothing stretches the legs of my RF-5s like a good metal album. :D

I like to think of "Metallica - And Justice For All" as the ULTIMATE metal reference album. There is usually TONS of harmonic distortion on lowend systems (Woofers going Womp, womp, womp due to little buffering of that resonent frequency is my guess), with my Klipsch, there is none. Just crystal clear, high SPL metal. Its amazing how much clarity there is in the back of all that sound. You can hear little intricacies. Like hi-hat sizzle during full out play, and very minute string buzz on the second acoustic guitar on track 2 (and Justice for All). Not to mention great tonality of Lars's "Signature Tama" kit from back then. If you get a chance, turn a respectable volume (90db or so), and listen to the first of track 7 (The Frayed Ends Of Sanity). It makes me giggle with delight on these speakers. That album was, IMHO, Metallica at its best. Very often referred to as A well oiled machine, in fact I cant not imagine an engine running wide-open throttle when listening to it. Flawless work, and at times even symphonic.

Another album I wanted to mention while I'm going off on a metal rant here, Grip Inc. Solidify. This has been my favorite metal album for a while now. Heavy vocals (without sounding like a bear), mega-thick bottom-end, and highs that Zing. Amazing and diverse dynamics, full roaring Wall of sound, and unmistakably one of the most talented drummers of any genera, Dave Lambardo. Solidify is one of the most incredible, underrated, and unknown metal albums in my collection. Track 2 (Amped) comes on with authority. The low-end (Double Bass) is enough to blow your hair back. Not to mention the instrumental last track where you can really heard Dave shine. The man is quite amazing, and that album is some of his best work ever. In fact, just about every song on this album is the essence of good metal, and does so without theological comment.

Rant off... cwm12.gif

------------------

Barista T. Bill

My Rig, Minus the new Klipsch RF-5 (Not shown)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post Mobile!

If you still want to use the SM-70 with your tubed preamp, I believe you could insert a good quality 33k resistor (say, a Caddock) in line with the signal and shunt to ground with a 10k resistor of the same kind. You will have no loss in quality whatsoever, although you can always play with resistor values to exactly match the gain of your preamp with the input sensitivity of the SM-70. Nevertheless, I have found those values to work well in many different cases...

Happy listening,

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

I have thought about doing this mod a number of times because my Cary has had too high an output for the last few systems, including my Moondogs. I just wanted to avoid adding anything else in there. I actually have a number of Caddocks and I might see what values they are.

SM-70 Follow-up

Well, I think ultimately the SM-70 should be more near $500-550 in its current incarnation. See Ed about details.

If I was serious about this amp, I would opt for

1. Rectifier Upgrade with new heatsink

2. More PS Capacitance - though not much room

3. Aftermarket power cord

4. a defacto pro model with only 4 MOSfets total (Pro has 8)

As is, it needs a bit more resolution. Granted, it is MUCH better than most amps and this is subtle; but it is good enough to leave you noticing the slight THERE there. Still, if it was $500... I think the rectifier upgrade will handle some of this complaint, though not all. Also, it is just not the last thing in bass articulation. IT is GOOD...but does have a slightly less controlled bottom that can get boomy on material. Does pretty well on stand up bass, however. Think the rectifier and perhaps better PS caps and greater capacitance would aid here. Power cord helped as well, btw.

*COMETICS

4. Ordering a face plate with etching and NO white paint - black allen bolts

5. sub black allen bolts in holes for rack handles, tossing handles in box...

They use such nice aluminum, but completely botch the aethetics. Logo should be small and subtle. Gold accents and silvery handles seem a bit much. The power switch is a real clunker and looks out of place as well. This is about the thickest face plate you will see! Just wish ole CC Poon realized that LESS is MORE.

Allan, ditto on the Art Pepper. Do you have the Art Pepper at the Village Vanguard Vinyl??? This is REALLY excellent! Top Notch! I see them used from time to time (four LPs). Worth picking up if you dont have them - all good. (Thurs, Fri, Sat, More for Les).

Also, I hope to hell you have one of the 180gram versions of Sonny Rollins "Way Out West" Man, this is a GREAT sounding recording with GREAT material. And for those of you that dont have vinyl, the K2 20Bit of Way out West is VERY good.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-14-2002 at 02:13 PM

Black Gates would be a nice choice, but then you might as well turn on the amp and forget about it for a few months, with that lengthy break-in they have.

(The Nichicon Super-throughs or a FG equilevent would be a good budget choice, shorter break-in too.)

I think I remember M.Percy telling me in a Email that you can sub a superior cap of lower Capacitance and higher voltage.

(I'm not sure on Voltage, but you only limited to size on voltage, and I'm sure you stay away from lower voltages.)

One good to know, is where the designer/designers made comprimises on the amp design and improve from there.

They must change to HEXFREDS on the rectifiers or something.

Barista Bill,

You might want to go down to the General question Forum. A lot of folks including me, seemed to agree that 'Justice for all' was the worst Metallica recording ever.

I never heard that CD in years and never on my Chorus II's, but my days of car stereo and cobbled junk home stereos that recording always seemed to have that WOMP WOMP overbloated midbass frequency.

I ever find it in a Hock shop, I'll pick it up and see what the Chorus's have to say about it, I don't listen to much Metallica anymore.

Dave Lombardo fan, Huh?

I have Grip Inc. 'Power of inner strength'

It's allright, I wonder if Solidify is better.

I haven't heard it awhile, I geuss it's next.

Have you checked out 'Fantomas' It's Dave Lombardo,

King Buzzo from the Melvins, some dude that escapes me for the moment on bass, and Mike Patton that wierd bastard from Faith no More and Mr Bungle.

It's basically background art noises to a Mexican horror Comic book, it will fry your brain and your speakers.

TUBES WORLD TOUR!

THANX!

Re: Art Pepper

I own every LP Art Pepper ever released--even the super-rare Jazz West, Intro and Score stuff--luckily I found these in the 70's before the prices shot up through the roof--coulnd't even BEGIN to afford them today.

The Vanguard records are great if only for the way the capture the "chattiness" of Art's live shows during this period. THe playing on these dates was all over the map but Art is Art and the records are pretty much essential. I get the feeling he was trying WAY too hard and should have relaxed a bit, but he WAS trying to prove something and there's no doubt he did.

I was lucky enough to hear Art live 30-40 times here in LA and SF in the '76-82 period and he was incredible every single time. He was and remains my favorite artist.

I've got a reccomendation for you--try to find the classic Bill Perkins/John Lewis LP on Pacific Jazz called "Grand Encounter: 2 degrees East and 3 degrees West." An original will set you back about $100, but I just read on the Red Trumpet website that there is a new 24-bit Japanese CD out--PICK IT UP--you will NOT regret it!

Here's a link to my hot 100:

http://www.rjcigars.com/Mens%20Almanac/BachelorPad/bachelor_pad.htm

Have heard of that album but couldnt find the blurb about the new release on Red TRumpet. Got a link?

As for West Coast jazz, I like it but it is not my first choice. I generally like more heavy stuff on the whole...though I see it is some of the same stuff you like. Love Sonny Rollins, Coltrane, Erik Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Charlie Parker, Dexter Gordon, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkings, Phil Woods, Johnny Hodges, A. Shepp, Cannonball Adderley, Stan Getz... Bill Evans...Chet Baker, OF course, Miles Davis. And add on most of the great side men... Love Elvin Jones, Max Roach...etc Add to this Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Billie Holiday (my favorite), Sarah Vaughan (second favorite), Charles Mingus, Monk.... list goes on.

I inherited a HUGE collection of my father's LPs (he had collected since the 40s, 50s, 60s. I even have his 78s). He played drums in early jazz bands and we had jazz going night and day. OF course, I rebelled like a bastard and my brothers and I played rock to bring the rafters down. I didnt start getting back into jazz on my own until the early 80s.

Right now, I am still amazed how good this little solid state amp can sound late at night! I would have never thought.... But I have having a damn great time listening to all sorts of mess. Listening to Ornette Coleman's "The Shape of Jazz to Come" and it feels very live from the next room. Since the Olympic went off, all sorts of stuff has been rotating on the Linn.

A short list includes:

Johnny Hodges "Castle Rock"

Coltrane "Blue Train"

Dolphy "In Europre Vol III"

Cannonball Adderley " You know what I mean"

Sonny Rollins "Village Vanguard"

Zoot Sims "Warm Tenor"

Ben Webster and Gerry Mulligan

christ.... the damn system sounds so good right now and my damn 2A3 amps are not even on!!!! This sand amp sounds a HELL OF A LOT better late at night. Of course, so does everything else. Thank god my wife loves late night racket!

kh

I need to get more Art Pepper and Sonny Rollins.

And start on Billie Holliday.

I heard Sarah Vaughn in a little jazz club in London, and to be frank, I don't like 'scat'. It leaves me dry.

However, try to find this kind of jazz stuff in the crappy CD stores I hang out in. Cheez.

I could order some or most off Amazon if I knew more exactly what to get. There seems to be something missing with the online buying experience. Holding these things in your hands, reading the covers, etc. seems much more educational than looking at a web page.

So, what do I get? I like the alto sax, I lovefemale vocalists, where do I get that fix?

This message has been edited by Randy Bey on 02-15-2002 at 08:14 AM

Christ, Randy. I think I spent about 20 minutes writing a post to you in the SET Asylum last year trying to explain that Sarah Vaughan does NOT ONLY DO SCAT ! I think Ella Fitzgerald was the singer most associated with scat style vocals. Yes, ole Sarah was known for scat as well, but I have a lot of stuff where she keeps scat to BARE minimum. I have managed to aquire about 15 Sarah Vaughan records that dont totally get taken over by the SCAT form. I gave you a great recommendation last year to sample out.

Low and Behold, one year later, my ole RAndy is saying the exact same sentence. I dont like Sarah Vaughan cause I dont like SCAT. HELL, to be honest, I HATE SCAT as well...only liking it on occasion, surely not something to hang on to. So there is Vaughan that is near scat-free!

Do you remember that rec I gave? You freak! I feel like sending a SCAT-O-Gram down Floriday way!!! heh...

kh

ps - Red Trumpet is a great source for good tunes... BUt in my next post, I am going to make a list of CANT MISS stuff. There must be some good places down where you live?

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-15-2002 at 08:45 AM

ojc20bitanim.gif

You should check out the new K2 recordings (some additions). Some real winners here also. I have all of these in vinyl and like them. A few also in the K2 format. All worth the purchase. I would seriously just check them off as you get them. All great for a good collection. Some are simply outstanding and all great.

Sonny Rollins The Sound of Sonny ~ RCD-241-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Monk's Music ~ RCD-242-2 ~ $14.98

Chet Baker in New York ~ RCD-1119-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz ~ RCD-1162-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Brillant Corners ~ RCD-226-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard ~ RCD-9376-2 ~ $14.98

Cannonball Adderley/Bill Evans Know What I Mean? ~ RCD-9433-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane ~ JCD-46-2 ~ $14.98

Chet Baker Chet ~ RCD-1135-2 ~ $14.98

Cannonball Adderley in San Francisco ~ RCD-1157-2 ~ $14.98

Wes Montgomery Incredible Jazz Guitar ~ RCD-1169-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Waltz for Debby ~ RCD-9399-2 ~ $14.98

Joe Pass Virtuoso ~ PACD-2310-708-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness ~ PRCD-7047-2 ~ $14.98

Jackie McLean 4, 5 and 6 ~ PRCD-7048-2 ~ $14.98

prestige_20-bitanim.gif

John Coltrane Coltrane ~ PRCD-7105-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Bags' Groove ~ PRCD-7109-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7129-2 ~ $14.98

The Red Garland Quintet All Mornin' Long ~ PRCD-7130-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins ~ PRCD-7075-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis All Stars Walkin ~ PRCD-7076-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus ~ PRCD-7079-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7094-2 ~ $14.98

Red Garland Trio Groovy ~ PRCD-7113-2 ~ $14.98

John Coltrane Soultrane ~ PRCD-7142-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants ~ PRCD-7150-2 ~ $14.98

Gene Ammons Boss Tenor ~ PRCD-7180-2 ~ $14.98

ojcriverside_20bitanim.gif

Check out these K2 20Bitlinks - all have links to the albums. If you are goingto go CD, this is some of the best stuff you can get:

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/ojcriverside_20-bit.html

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/ojc_20-bit.html

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/prestige_20-bit.html

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/html/pablo_20-bit.html

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-15-2002 at 08:37 AM

Here's the link for the Perkins/Lewis LP (Also, Percy Heath, Jim Hall, and Chico Hamilton)

http://www.redtrumpet.com/software/item.php3?item=13502&sid=1095264505

I too love Ornette--both the 50's and the later electric stuff with Prime Time. I used to have the LP with Metheny "Song X" in that hot 100 at one time.

"West Coast Jazz" is a stupid term. The hottest hard bop group ever was the Curtis Counce group, and they were based in L.A.! Ornette Coleman came out of L.A.!

Art Pepper played his whole life in L.A. Teddy Edwards has spent his whole working life in L.A. Geesh!

Jobman,

Congrats on your new amps, I am confident you are going to like your SM-70's! I would suggest that you try one running in stereo mode first to get an idea of what one can do and then mono-block them (or vice-versa) for comparison.

If the seller has the original paperwork it has a diagram to show you how to set them up. If you have any question you can email me also, or even better (IMHO) you can give Mr. Poon a call and he will be happy to help...he provides excellent customer service.

------------------

Ed W

Edster:

Thanks. I picked them up last night. They are mint, with original boxes, all paperwork and manuals and even sales brochures!

I won't get to hook them up until Saturday, but I will try one first and see how it goes. I have to do some rearranging of my entire set up now. (Let alone worry about the big screen I'm going shopping for tomorrow!)

I am looking at a Creek OBH-14 or OBH-12 passive pre to use with the SM-70's. I was thinking I wanted a tube pre, but these seem like they would be a good fit. Any comments or other recommendations? Under $500 would be good.

Thanks

Mike

Get them used and you really save.

If you are not going with vinyl, hop on AudiogoN and just try the Creek OBH-12 and the AES AE-3 tube preamp. You will have a good idea of tube sound and passive. Both have merit and you could sell either down the road for the same amount. It's really a cant lose situation. Sure there are better tube preamps, but this little beast probably gets the job done for the least ducats. And it can be upgraded as well. As for the little Creek OBH-12, it is about the cheapest remote control passive option around. Turn the face plate around to avoid GREEN INK hell. I am currently listening to this little unit into Ed's single SM-70 at the moment (with a Cary as the phono preamp). Last night, I had some CDs going and the Rega Planet, Creek OBH-12, DIYCable wire, and Klipsch Cornwall I were doing it damn nice for solid state. No, it does not have a single-ended triode's feeling of purity, soft finesse, or lack of grain... but it is a GREAT deal if you are chosing solid state.

The AES AE-3 uses 6SN7 tubes and shouldnt be over $325 or so used. You can find a Creek OBH-12 in the $150-175 range.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile:

Thanks for the reply.

Well, yes, I do have vinyl, and am looking at upgrading the TT also. Thorens most likely. So I would like to have a phono pre also, but if I need to get a seperate one, so be it. I just don't want to many cables snaking around everywhere,if possible. (WAF you know).

Any thoughts on this Dynaco PAS4?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1332069377

Mike

Jobman,

I have the AES AE-3 (DJH upgrade package +) and the Creek OBH-12. I haven't even hooked up the Creek yet 'cause I like the AE-3 so well and I have been doing so many changes in tubes/interconnects/speaker wire/etc. that I need to get back to a reference point. Where I am now it is impossible to tell what changes are doing what because too many parameters have changed.

I will be listening to the SM-70's with the Creek as well as the Moondogs with the Creek, but it will be awhile...

There is a Creek at AudiogoN for $195 including shipping (may be a couple of $$ high but...)

Keep us posted!

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-15-2002 at 11:11 AM

Geez Kelly,

I live in Minnesota, and I don't know many who have mistaken it for Florida. Well, there was this Russian neighbor of mine, but talk about looney!

I should have realized that you would object to repeating something you just wrote a year ago. I know you scrupulously avoid repeating yourself in this forum.

Smile.gif

So I'll start at the top of this jazz list and work my way down, but hey, you didn't mention any female vocalists -- opps, did you tell me about them a year or two ago?

YE olde SM-70 update Pt. XX

Ok. I have been listening to this beast ALL day since about 5:30am. In between the rather horrible record of wasted time posting, mixed in with site updates, I have probably cycled through about 30 albums and a few CDs.

I think I have hit on the best combo in MY system at least. So far, vinyl really does sound the best and the combination of the Cary tube phono stage with the Monarchy Audio SM-70 has been really enjoyable. This amp in stereo mode seems to really hang great with 50s and 60s jazz. And the Cary tube unit along with the Linn produce VERY rich and warm sound with some tube dimension that really works nicely with the SM-70. I now think I prefer the tube preamp running the SM-70, yet you have to realize this is a pretty heavy duty modified tube preamp with excellent NOS tubes. The cost of the preamp is over five times that of the SM-70. Yet tubes REALLY do this amp some good service.

As I mentioned above, the passive also works GREAT but the extra dimension and richness in the mids provided by the tube gear really help the vestiges of solid state negatives slide to the wayside. The 6SL7/6SN7 combo works very nice into this unit. And with the phono, it is actually one 12AX7 (Telefunkin) per channel into the line stage.

I can say this would be a great SS amp even in stereo mode for those with vintage Klipsch, especially if run with a quality tube preamp. Small combo jazz is especially good.

I still prefer tube amplification for all the reasons listed in the review. But, I an honestly say that if all my valve gear were stolen, and the Monarchy Audio SM-70 was the only thing left amp-wise, I could be pretty damn content!

...that is, until I got my next tube piece! heh...

kh

Note: Leave this amp ON. It takes a while to warm up. Seems to do best just left on, ready to roll.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-15-2002 at 03:21 PM

Randy, no wonder all those letters and cards I mailed you were returned! Why in the name of sweet Yahweh on a pogo stick did I think you lived in FL? Perhaps it was your garden... I always looked so FL sunny!

ps- I havent slept in two weeks. House closing. 300 site updates due. And my obsession with the idiotic forum! I should be shot.

MN.... I used to think your mental state was caused by sunstroke... what now? Freezer Burn?

heh...

kh

ps Allan, what the hell is your mailing address? I sent you a mail and it rocketed back to me almost taking my eye out!

pps: I might have to stop here at 666 posts....

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-15-2002 at 03:13 PM