aluminum trim

colterphoto1

Michael,

I dated a girl a couple years out of hi school that looked IDENTICAL, hair face, body exact, except the girl I dated had such crooked teeth that you could have grabbed her by the back of the head and opened up a can of beans with her teeth!!

A better man would have gotten her an Orthodontist, Breast Augmentation, and married her. I guess I am just not a better man.

The LaScalas look like they have a fine mesh over the high frequency section. I don't see anything blatent about the aluminum trim, but I am not as well versed on the Pro LaScala as you.

Roger

In all myBG pro speakers, there is a cast corner piece with the straight aluminum sections butting up to it. This might be an early prototype used for the ad series prior to release of the speakers.

I've never seen any Klipsch pro with corners like this.

M

post-10755-13819447589222_thumb.jpg

Good Eye Michael..............

To me, it seems that your version with the T brace would be stronger...............but what do I know........

I thought you were looking at the rows and rows of Klipsch products in the Background...........and got excited !

True SF, but either way there's a chance of catching the edge of a piece and ripping it clean off. The cast corners are much better. There's a story that goes with them, I think they were made pretty locally or something like that. To look at them they are somewhat imperfect in their casting. Same with the MCM corners, which are in two different configurations, for the tighter and looser than 90 degree bends. So there were three different cast corners manufactured.

In all myBG pro speakers, there is a cast corner piece with the straight aluminum sections butting up to it. This might be an early prototype used for the ad series prior to release of the speakers.

I've never seen any Klipsch pro with corners like this.

M

Michael,

Enough about the aluminum, Let's talk about the "TRIM"

Roger

didja ever notice anything funny about this photo? (the LSI you knuckleheads, not the hottie)

I bet that was an early prototype, before Klipsch contracted to have the corners made. That aluminum trim is available at any wholesale metal shop. I once did a set of La Scalas with FG and AL trim, and I didn't use the corners, I mitered everything and filed the corners carefully.

I traded those LS's for a pair of Khorns at New England Music Company, and those are the same Khorns that I just reveneered in Koa and put the 2" horns in. I've got pics of those LS's around somewhere. I bet that was 1983 or so.

Greg

Dear Greg

I also purchased my MCMs From Derek and Dale Morreau at New England Speaker when they were in Portland Me.

I also went to Benton Me. in the 80s to purchase a set of industrial La Scalas that had the big KLIPSCH logo painted in white on the sides. Dale morreau set pup the purchase for me, that may have been you . I live in Fitchburg, Ma. Drop me a line, I know Dale is no longer employed there but are they still located in Scarborough??

Thanks Joey B KP600

• 1 year later...

I received an email from contributor heli001 who is looking for the old tooling for the cast aluminium corners for the BG models. I thought that others may be interested in my reply to him so I am copying it here on this forum about Aluminum Trim:

Dear Mr. Fisher (heli001),
I wish that I could be of further assistance on your search for the aluminium die cast tooling but regretfully, I cannot.
I was instrumentally involved in the acquisition of the Industrial/Professional division from Klipsch & Associates back in 1992/93. As part of that sale/acquisition WWR Technology purchased all of the proprietary tooling used in the industrial/pro lines. Typically all tooling was located at the place of manufacture be that in whatever corner of the planet. There was some old tooling, other than that used in Klipsch made manifolds, horns and the like, stored at the Hope location but I do not recall that being for the aluminium corner molds. I am quite sure that those tools were not there. The aluminium trim used on the "BG" finished products for road/touring had well and truly been superseded by ABS polycarbonate products by the time of that sale/acquisition and the tooling, if it was still around and in one piece, was not part and parcel of that deal.
Prior to the sale of the pro business unit, Paul Klipsch sold Klipsch & Assoc to Fred Klipsch of Indiana. I was not in Hope at that time, (but still very closely connected all the same). I later became aware that some of the old tooling for metal horns had been "moved" elsewhere. I am fairly sure that the cast aluminium corner tooling was not part of that lot.
Frankly if Jim Hunter doesn't know what happened to it then I rest assured that it is lost for all time. I see that there could be a small and very limited market for the corners for a few folks who have MCMs and LSIs but is that worth finding/buying a casting tool and minimum production run? Maybe a sand cast done locally would be more cost effective and you have existing parts on hand to create that. You would do well to have that adapt to currently available aluminium extrusion. I wish you good luck on your endeavour and again, I am sorry that I could not put my finger on it for you.
regards to all,
Ian Thacker

I received an email from contributor heli001 who is looking for the old tooling for the cast aluminium corners for the BG models. I thought that others may be interested in my reply to him so I am copying it here on this forum about Aluminum Trim:

Dear Mr. Fisher (heli001),
I wish that I could be of further assistance on your search for the aluminium die cast tooling but regretfully, I cannot.
I was instrumentally involved in the acquisition of the Industrial/Professional division from Klipsch & Associates back in 1992/93. As part of that sale/acquisition WWR Technology purchased all of the proprietary tooling used in the industrial/pro lines. Typically all tooling was located at the place of manufacture be that in whatever corner of the planet. There was some old tooling, other than that used in Klipsch made manifolds, horns and the like, stored at the Hope location but I do not recall that being for the aluminium corner molds. I am quite sure that those tools were not there. The aluminium trim used on the "BG" finished products for road/touring had well and truly been superseded by ABS polycarbonate products by the time of that sale/acquisition and the tooling, if it was still around and in one piece, was not part and parcel of that deal.
Prior to the sale of the pro business unit, Paul Klipsch sold Klipsch & Assoc to Fred Klipsch of Indiana. I was not in Hope at that time, (but still very closely connected all the same). I later became aware that some of the old tooling for metal horns had been "moved" elsewhere. I am fairly sure that the cast aluminium corner tooling was not part of that lot.
Frankly if Jim Hunter doesn't know what happened to it then I rest assured that it is lost for all time. I see that there could be a small and very limited market for the corners for a few folks who have MCMs and LSIs but is that worth finding/buying a casting tool and minimum production run? Maybe a sand cast done locally would be more cost effective and you have existing parts on hand to create that. You would do well to have that adapt to currently available aluminium extrusion. I wish you good luck on your endeavour and again, I am sorry that I could not put my finger on it for you.
regards to all,
Ian Thacker

Thack,

Thanks for the insight!!

Roger

I was trying to get an impression of the corner to reproduce, but it fell through. I started to work on a Google Sketch rendering to take to a machine shop. I had talked to them informally and had the impression that they could be reproduced at a price that would be affordable and resellable. They didn't flinch at the price per that I suggested, so I was hopeful. Life just caught up and I've been busy at other ventures. Someday, someone will put it all together.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give everyone an update in reference to Thack's post above;

We are having the three cast corner piece molds manufactured by Dynacast, Inc. The molds will be complete before the end of the year and we are planning a production run of the pieces after the first of January. We are making a run of 1000 - 90 degree angle corners with a follow up of 500 each of the remaing angle pieces. We have also found that the original aluminum trim (straight pieces) were a special extrusion and we are working on that. The die cost for the extrusion is much cheaper than the cast molds to make. As the molds are made overseas, the time frame tends to drag out, but the cost justifies the wait. The original pieces were a mixture of aluminum and another non ferrous metal. If you remove one and hold it, it is obvious that it is not solid aluminum. The finished pieces will have the screw holes cast into them. We will not set prices until all of the production cost are complete, but they should be within reason. I am not doing this to make a profit, as all I am looking for is to cover the cost of production. I hope that this will be a valuable service for Klipsch owners. We know that there are quite a few people that have the Industrial cabinets, that would like new trim, as I have a few that are either missing a piece or the trim is really beat up and needs replacement. All of the pieces will be an exact copy, as the molds are being made from pristine (NOS) examples of the pieces. Also, if you would like to "trim out" that cabinet that had no trim to begin with, to give it the "Rodie" look. We are also working on the Klipsch handles and hope to have examples available at the same time. Here is a drawing of the 90 degree piece, just click on it and it should open clear in the window:

post-57654-13819619593758_thumb.jpg

post-57654-13819622948826_thumb.jpg