Velodyne HGS15BGII

Youthman

• Moderators

I currently have a Velodyne F1500 sub. 15" woofer with 250 watt amp. I'm looking at a HGS15BGII but cannot find any specs online about it. I found that the HGS15X has a 15" woofer with 1250 watt amp. The HGS and my F1500 look identical from the front so they would both match. Does anyone know what size amp the HGS15BGII has? If this sub has a 1250 watt amp, I'm jumping on it.

Michael

I currently have a Velodyne F1500 sub. 15" woofer with 250 watt amp. I'm looking at a HGS15BGII but cannot find any specs online about it. I found that the HGS15X has a 15" woofer with 1250 watt amp. The HGS and my F1500 look identical from the front so they would both match. Does anyone know what size amp the HGS15BGII has? Would it be worth $200 obo? I think that it's a great price. The F1500 still sells for around $300. If this sub has a 1250 watt amp, I'm jumping on it. The guy bought it in 2001 for $1250.

Michael

Michael,

I believe that the HGS15BGII has the 1250 watt RMS / 3000 watt peak amp, and the remote control as well. Is there something wrong with it??? Can you go see it / pick it up??? Velodyne suggests shipping these by freight on a pallet only. I have had three Velodyne HGS-18IIs destroyed, two by UPS and one by some yellow truck with red lettering we usually don't use arround here. They drop the box, and the ceramic magnet structure shears in half, then it is a fight to get your money!!

Roger

• Moderators

When the guy looked on the back of the sub, it said 1250 watt. He also told me it was in Piano Black. Needless to say, I went and picked it up immediately. He said it was in "pristine" condition...well not by my definition of pristine. It had a few tiny marks on it but works perfectly! Another deal too good to pass up.

I haven't had a chance to run it through it's paces but I had a few minutes to listen to it. Definitely much more authority than my F1500. Super tight, and I can feel the bass much more than with my F1500. It blended very nicely with the RF-83's, even for 2ch.

This Saturday, I'll get a chance to use my new SPL Meter (thx to Bruce) to help dial it in.

It has a slightly smaller profile than my F1500.

hgs.jpg

hgs4.jpg

It even accepts XLR. Bonus!

hgs5.jpg

I'm not familiar with the BGII , I assume it's no different than the HGS 15 . Here are the specs - http://www3.shopping.com/xPF-Velodyne-HGS-15 .

I think they came out with the BGII designation when they came out with the DD series like yours. The BG series price dropped considerably from the plain HGS II series, I believe this more redily represents what the units cost Velodyne to build, and distanced the HGS from the new flagship DD models. I don't think they have as much excursion though as the HGS II series. I base this on the fact that a tech was replacing my blue LED that burned out. He plugged my amp in backwards and fried my acceloromiter. They had to replace the entire woofer as the accelorometer is part of the voice coil, they had to replace my amp because my old amp was not compatable with the new driver. The surround on the new woofer is not the raw rubber like it had before, like my other one still has. Cost me over $1,000 to fix at parts cost because the guy who destroyed it was not a Velodyne athorized repair center, but the place that fixed it was. [:@]

Roger

Youthman , if you got that sub for $200 and it works , I would say you got a very good deal !

Roger , geez , you have certainly had some trials with your Velodynes ! I'm still trying to wrap my head around how you had 2 shipped by UPS and 1 by DHL . These things need to be strapped to a palet and freighted .

• Moderators

That is an amazing sub for the money, Youthman!

That's what I'm thinking. My brain is saying it's too good to be true. I'll be able to check it out more on Saturday when the wife is at school. I'll be able to get a good idea of what it can do. In the few minutes that I listened to it, I was thoroughly pleased. A definite step up from the F1500.

• Moderators

Ok, I feel like a turd! A few minutes after I posted the HGS15 on CL, I receive a call from a guy who wants to buy it. As I'm talking to him, he wanted to know the exact model number. I turn the sub around (nothing playing) and as I was reading the model number off to him, I bumped the sub cable. Blam! The abnoxious noise came back. If I wiggled the cable at the connection, the sound went away. Could it be that the problem lies in a faulty sub cable. I just happened to have another one. Hooked it up and I cannot get it to reproduce the sound that I was hearing, even at full volume on the sub.

Now I have to make a call to the lady to appologize for accusing her husband of selling me a faulty sub. Could there be a fault at the connection on the sub, possibly, but at least I now believe it is not an amp problem but either a cable problem or a short in the sub connection.

I tried hooking the original cable back up and cannot get it to reproduce the sound again. CRAP! Now what do I do? LOL.

I'm off to make a phonecall.....

• Moderators

Well after 1 hour of the sub playing flawlessly, I made my phonecall to appologize for my accusations that they knowingly sold me a defunct sub. So far, the sub sounds amazing. Plenty of power, tight, clean reproduction, lots of SPL.

• Moderators

Youthman, Call Velodyne and see what a new amp for that sub costs. $250-$390??

If that subwoofer is functional, it's an impressive theater/musical loudspeaker! A new /refurb amp from Velodyne would have warranty.

And viable connections. Good luck.

I just put the new sub to the test...enter the Dark Knight! Oh yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about. This sub absolutely rocks hard! I now feel the bass, not just hear it. I also ran through a few scenes of Transformers. I think it's very safe to say that I easily got my money's worth out of this sub. At this point, no need to call Velodyne. I'm not touching a thing, leaving it like it is...just in case there is something wrong. LOL. Hopefully it was just a bad sub cable. I guess time will tell.

• Moderators

Another thing, Youthman,

if your Line Level (RCA) connections are problematic, try your Speaker Level ( speaker wire) connections.

Good suggestion. So far so good though, but it's good to know that I've got other options if if begins acting up again. At this point, I've put my F1500 up for sale as I don't need two subs. The HGS is plenty for my needs! Highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great sub.