Buzzing sound from Preamp

Macallan

I have a buzzing sound coming from my RF-7s when I am using my Peach and I have a question about my set up. I currently have the Peach plugged directly into the wall and the B&K 200.2 amp also plugged directly into the same wall outlet. I also have a Monster Power strip on another outlet with my TV, CD Player, DAC, Receiver, Cable box and Subwoofer plugged in. Is the best way to plug everything in? Should I try plugging the Peach into the power strip?

Do you have ANY TV related items connected to any preamp input? If so, remove it andtry again.

Interesting! Do you have something concrete regarding TV connections? I have a soft buzz that I have thought is indicative of the need for new caps in my 20 year old amps and I have the preamp outs from my Denon home theater receiver going into my preamp.

So I think i fixed the problem but I am amazed by my findings. I routed my coaxial cable (cable tv) from the wall through my power strip which has a cable in/out and then to the cable box and the buzz has stopped. Logically I don't see how my cable from the wall being routed through a power stip and then to a cable box stops the buzz. The cable box is ONLY connected to my reciever by a digital coaxial cable and my Receiver is ONLY connected to the Peach in the HT Bypass setting. So, how could the buzz transfer from a cable box to the Peach if the connection is digital to the reciever? Is this a coincidence? I also have suspicsions that my ceiling fan causes noise since the Peach will often pop when the fan is turned off and on.

Since this seems to be answered, I'll slide another question in here...

When I turn everything on, my amps (solid state) click on pretty quickly and my Peach has a longer delay (maybe 30 seconds?)

Sometimes during this 30 second time frame, I'll get a slight buzz out of my speakers UNTIL the Peach kicks into "on mode" and is actually able to produce music. Once it's in actual play mode, the noise is dead silent and all I have is music.

Since I've primarily used the Peach and not the other preamp I've got laying around, I can't speculate yet if the other preamp does it or not.

Why might this be so?

Is this a general preamp issue? (I'm presuming it's something to do with the closure of the circuit and perhaps completing a ground?)

Since this seems to be answered, I'll slide another question in here...

When I turn everything on, my amps (solid state) click on pretty quickly and my Peach has a longer delay (maybe 30 seconds?)

Sometimes during this 30 second time frame, I'll get a slight buzz out of my speakers UNTIL the Peach kicks into "on mode" and is actually able to produce music. Once it's in actual play mode, the noise is dead silent and all I have is music.

Since I've primarily used the Peach and not the other preamp I've got laying around, I can't speculate yet if the other preamp does it or not.

Why might this be so?

Is this a general preamp issue? (I'm presuming it's something to do with the closure of the circuit and perhaps completing a ground?)

IIRC the Peach delay is 45 seconds.Since the repair trip to Mark for the initial hum issue I have not heard any noise during the quite time (or any noise for that matter). I do get a very slight thump and amp needle bounce when the Peach comes out of standby.

Since I have tube buzz from my BlueBerry and MkIII's, I have been listening to the speakers rather closely while the pre is going through it's warm up and I ahve not heard anything, bump or otherwise, when the pre is coming out of standy - now maybe my component doesn;t have this problem for technical reasons, it is not a Peach, but through the speakers I hear dead silence. Now the hum I get from the tubes is another matter - sounds like sedated pissed off bees in my living room - Just means I need to crank it to drown out the buzzz...

B

Since I have tube buzz from my BlueBerry and MkIII's, I have been listening to the speakers rather closely while the pre is going through it's warm up and I ahve not heard anything, bump or otherwise, when the pre is coming out of standy - now maybe my component doesn;t have this problem for technical reasons, it is not a Peach, but through the speakers I hear dead silence. Now the hum I get from the tubes is another matter - sounds like sedated pissed off bees in my living room - Just means I need to crank it to drown out the buzzz...

B

Actually with some careful setup diagnostics you could most likely get rid of all or most of the noise... when dealing with separates noise can be a bugger to track down... If the noise your hearing is identical out of both channels chances are it has nothing to do with the tube themselves.

Make yourself some shorting RCA input jacks out of some old cheapo RCA cables. Unhook the preamp from the amplifier and plug the shorting jacks into the amps and fire them up..... any noise? If not then the amplifier is fine.... turn it off. Unhook all sources from the preamp and hook the preamp alone to the amplifier and turn the amps and preamp on.....any noise? If not then start adding each of your sources one at a time until the noise appears. Once it appears you have found the culprit and you can address the problem at the source and quit blaming it on tubes.... noise issues are almost always system setup related unless something is faulty electrically with the gear.

Craig

Craig - I blame it on the tubes, because that is where I am hearing the buzz - when I set up either amp all by itself, not hooked to anything, no speakers, no pre-amp, no source, nothing, just amp - and plug it in - when the tubes get warmed up, there is a hum, a buzz - a sound like white noise coming from what appears to be the tubes when I put my ear down there to the amp, that seems to be where it is coming from - to reiterate, there is *no* noise coming from the speakers when all of this is on and hooked up, none, dead silence at the speakers when the amps are connected to speakers, pre-amp to amp, source cd to preamp, and it is all turned on and sitting - kind of an eerie silence from the speakers, but a humming from the tube components- including the brand new Blueberry (if a little fainter). But with them all on, there is a definite buzzing hum coming from components. I just got some decent component cables, and it didnt effect what I am hearing at all - might this be a tube bias problem?

It is almost like a vibrating heating pad, when it is turned off, there is that jarring stillness - when I turn off the amps (one by one), you can feel the buzzing stop through the shelf that I have them on - and that is without the CD source deck turned on.

B

Ahhh I thought you were talking about noise from your speakers....

Are you still running those tired output tubes that were in the amps when you bought them? If the noise is extreme that is the culprit.. if you have to put your ear up near the tubes to hear it no big deal they will make some physical noise but it shouldn't be extreme..... What you hearing with your ear up near the output tubes is the electrical current flowing through the elements.. kind of like if you stand under some high voltage power grid lines...

Oh and never ever run a tube amps with not load (speakers or a resistor to present a load) attached..... while it usually will cause no problem you just never know...

Ahhh I thought you were talking about noise from your speakers....

Are you still running those tired output tubes that were in the amps when you bought them? If the noise is extreme that is the culprit.. if you have to put your ear up near the tubes to hear it no big deal they will make some physical noise but it shouldn't be extreme..... What you hearing with your ear up near the output tubes is the electrical current flowing through the elements.. kind of like if you stand under some high voltage power grid lines.

Exactly! That is what I am hearing! I figured that it had something to do with the current in the tubes flowing somewhere - now, output tubes? Which are the OUTPUT tubes? Good grief. I can hear the buzzing from some distance away, so it might be those bad boys, hey could that be the reason why I am hearing some high frequency roll-off?I have my system set up right now so that what happens is that I have one CD source, and I have hooked up the digital coax to my Sunfire Pre&Amp, and the analog R&L to the BlueBerry - so what this lets me do is switch from SS to Tube and back again (or even at the same time) with the same source disc - A/B'ing has been cool as *&^%, to hear the difference between one and the other on the same speakers with the same source simultaneously - but I am noticing that with the tubes, it is almost as if someone flipped the old Dolby Digital switch, and the higher frequencies are rolled off, some sparkle (Klispch-o-phile term for that high sizzle some folks - not me- think is "harsh") is missing...?

Oh and never ever run a tube amps with not load (speakers or a resistor to present a load) attached..... while it usually will cause no problem you just never know...

Damn, didn't know this - didn't do it long though, justs plugged them at my workbench to make sure the gorrillas didn'tbounce them around too much, I really dislike UPS, ya'll need to live closer so you can just *walk* this stuff over to me!

B

Your HF rolls off could be a number of things...

It could be the setup with all the other components that allow your AB testing (impedance mismatch).... try CD player, Blueberry and just the amps...unhook everything else.

Is this percieved roll off in Triode and Ultra Linear? Triode does roll off the frequency extremes a bit for a softer presentation..

The roll off can be those tired old output tubes... The output tubes are the large KT-88's two per amp.... I hope you have checked the bias on them now and then.