advice please

gregmeeh

If you are thinking LaScala *and* you have good corners, you might contemplate something like the Khorn where it will better utilize the space you have in the room.

I'd suggest to you that if you took a pair of LaScalas verses a pair of Khorns (or Jubilees), the Khorns/Jubilees will take up far less 'room space' than the LaScalas do since the LaScalas will intrude further into the room than the others.

Just so you know, I've owned Heresy's (sold), LaScalas (still own for last 30 years), Khorns (sold) and Jubilees. There is no way the "smaller" LaScala is more room efficient than the larger corner speakers.

Welcome to the Forum.

Try to do a "listen" if someone in your area has one of the types you are considering. Regardless of what you eventually decide on, you should take the opportunity (if you can) to listen to the Klipschorns (or Jubilees), LaScalas, Cornwalls Heresy's, etc. before making a final decision.

Or.... just buy them all!!!! pair in every room (or 2!!!). Just kiddin!!!

looking at corners and size / placement for khorn and la scala make me think i need to stay a little smaller. cornwalls, fortes heresey?? or chorus?

Greg,

What Coytee said holds true for most of what you have listed to an extent. A Speakers absolute best placement is in the corners. With this in mind, while a Cornwall is much smaller physically then a K-Horn, if you put it in the corner, it is going to have about the same footprint or occupy as much space, because it is so wide that it will almost be as far from the apex of the corner to the front of the speaker. Chorus Is and Forte Is would be smaller, but if you opted for the more prefered Chorus IIs or Forte IIs, they have to be pulled out from the corners far enough for the passive radiators on the back side to work their best, so with the IIs, they still take up alot of room in the corners. They just have better wife acceptance factor. If you actually don't have the corner space and it isn't just trying to look physically smaller, that leaves you with the option of Chorus Is, Forte Is, and Heresies.

Roger

Corners are all eaten up with pianos and such - all types of music rock to opera to piano solo - budget is around 500

I'm watching ebay - cornwalls or heresy or?? I would appreciate your opinion.

You folks on the forum have been great asking the questions and pointing me in the right direction.

g

If you can't get the speakers in a corner, I would say that the bass horn loaded speakers are not best for what you want.

KHorns are definitely out because they need the corner to physically add to the final flare. You could build two false corners but that will really take up some real estate. All but the most distressed KHorns are out of you price range.

LaScala and Belle do not physically need a corner but you will be missing a lot of bass. You might find some LS in your price range but not Belles.

Therefore, we are left with the units with direct radiator bass units. Some are augmented with ports or passive radiators. Smaller one (less tall) have issues about getting the mid and tweeter horn up to ear level. Some have exponential mid horns and some have tractrix. I very much favor the latter. The following is according to size and, somewhat, price. In bass, size matters and you can't get around that unless you want to add a sub.

Heresy. These have no augmentation and are compact. Without corner placement they are a shy in the bass compared to other choices. Also, you have to use stands to get them up high enough, in my view. These use exponental mid. This is the original Heritage line small speaker. There are (I), II, and III versions.

Quartet: Bigger and taller than an H. These have tractrix and a passive. I love mine but I put them on stands to get the mid and tweeter up high. They're okay on the floor but I think a bit marginal on height. Smallest of the Quartet, Forte II, and Chorus II line. These are very similar in component types except for size.

Forte: This was the Heresy with a passive and a bit taller. Great reviews. Height is "just enought. Passive bass radiator. The first Klipsch with a passive.

Forte II. This is an updated Forte. Here a tractrix. Bigger passive than Forte. Probably the best performing of the family with a bit deeper bass on the spec sheet. It has everything. I think the tractrix is better than the exponential in a problem room. In my view, M-A-G-I-C. I have them in a small room.

Chorus: This has been called the replacement for the Cornwall. Exponential mid, ports for augmentation. I heard a pair in bad conditions and was not impressed. Doublessly a good speaker.

Chorus II. Here a passive was added and a tractrix. I'm guessing there are not many reviews on line because they are not very common. More efficient than the Forte II. The spec sheet shows it doesn't go quite as low but I wonder if it matters. Note this is taller again than the Forte (I) or II.

Cornwall. This was the classic heritage direct radiator Ported. A big speaker which gets wonderful reviews over the many decades. Search the main website for an old review (then called the Cornwall II). Exponential mid. This has been though a couple of intereations too. You can probably only afford the original. The aspect ratio is not as tall and slim (relatively) as the Chorus or F or Q. Designed by PWK to be used in a corner or against a wall.

CornScala. These are projects by forum members. They take the drivers and horn out of a LaScala and make what is essentially a ported version like the Cornwall. The LS have a bigger horn than the Cornwall and thus the cabinet is not like a Cornwall in aspect. These projects happen because there are quite a few LS on the market which are very beat up from road or bar use.

- - - -

Other considerations. As we go up in size, shipping is a budget buster. So you have to go fetch them. A cost issue too in some cases. It is part of the lore of this forum that the road trip is part of the pride of ownership. Is physical condition an issue? "Minty" costs money sometimes.

If you find something nearby your location which you like, and can audition, that could be the time to pull the trigger. It is a buyer's market these days.

Wm McD

• 4 months later...

Are you still looking for speakers? I have a pair of forte2's that are amazing. They out rock anything I have ever heard. As loud as you want and crystal clear at the same time. I also have a Yamaha Amp. I paid 5k for the three pieces and they sound better now than when I bought them. The nineties?? Anyway, they have the official tags and numbers and I bought them locally at QC stereo in Bellingham. So, I am getting a little old for this sort of thing and you are the perfect age for them. I don't know if I could part with both speakers for $500, but I will make you a good deal. I don't think Klipsch makes anything camparable to them anymore, but I would like to see them go to someone that uses them. They just remind me of my age anymore. Ahhhhhhh, the resonating horn.

Let me know whats up,

forte2