klipsch Cornwall II vs. Chorus II

SonicSeeker

Welcom to the Forum! That's going to be a great question and you will get a myriad of answers ranging from one or the other to "forget Cornwalls or Chorus and just go for Klipschorns or Jubilees", etc.

One thing you can do is look at the main Klipsch website under "floorstanding" and see the size, weight, and general chracteristics of the two types. Consider your available space, room size and consider the age and condition of the two choices it appears that you have.

Both are very efficient; the Cornwall is larger and is a bass reflex/ ported speaker. I have both Cornwall-I's and II's, and I find the Cornwall to be a very well balanced speaker with great overall performance.

The Chorus-II is sealed, but has a passive radiator. I've also had a pair of Chorus-II and there tends to be more "punchy" bass due to the design.

I personally prefer the Cornwalls, but mostly due to the fact that I personally like the old Heritage designs and drivers, and it's well suited for the types of amps I use and the music I like.

I would strongly recommend that you try to listen to both if you can and then determine which sounds best to your ears. Either way you will not be disappointed.

I've asked a lot of questions here like that and have found you'll get a lot of good opinions but that is all they are is other peoples opinions. And you'll find some are very loyal to one side or the other when you compare two speakers so you might get some biased answers. The answers that make me laugh are the "I've never heard speaker B but I own speaker A and you'll be much happier with them, they are the best..."

Where are you from? If you live close to some forum members the best thing would be to listen to both and then the opinion that makes up your mind will be your own!!

I own both and can't make up my mind. The Chorus II are an excellent rock speaker and is able to handle other types of music as well. If any flaw exists with them it is they are a little weak when it comes to classical music, but that may be just my situation as my classical collection is comprised of mostly budget cds. Not high end DG recordings, etc.

The Cornwall II is also an excellent speaker and it appears to have a slight majority of devotees here on the forums versus the Chorus, which also has it's champions. My Corns are in my apartment and as such I have not been able to play at a proper volume to stretch them out, so to speak. In such a small apartment I tend to listen to more moderate music with the wife, so more often than not it would be jazz. There is a great attention to detail in the Cornwalls and they really need to be in a larger space.

Both speakers are incredibly efficient and produce a detailed soundstage. they truly reveal the source material. Garbage in garbage out. Some early recordings will be displayed warts and all, but fine recordings will reveal parts you weren't aware of, even on pieces you have committed to memory. I think you have to take into consideration the type of music you listen to, the room size, the footprint of the speakers, both of which are substantial. Also placement re the Chorus with it's rear firing passive woofer.

In the future I will be moving my Cornwalls out to my house and I will do a side by side comparison to see which I prefer. That will be the fairest test, in a larger room with the same source material. As of now I can say both are excellent speakers for the money and if you lean towards rock music the Chorus would be the way to go, if jazz and folk is more of your style, the Cornwall will fit the bill. Either way, you can't go wrong, could be the best $600-$700 you'll ever spend on audio equipment.

I think the Cornwall vs Chorus and/or Forte (I & II for both) comparisons have been discussed more than any other speakers and while I am partial to the Cornwall, by far, it also seems to me that the majority of posters feel the same way. Having been around here for a little while, my guess is that it usually goes 65/35 or maybe even 70/30 in favor of the Cornwall. Most people mention the fuller, larger sound of the Cornwall, better soundstage, etc. Both speakers have nice bass response for rock and jazz and both sound good in almost any size room. I think the Cornwall excels at low volume which can be an advantage for some.

There certainly are Chorus nuts who will disagree but in the end it's up to the listener. Find both to audition and make the decision that way if possible. If not, just buy the Cornwalls. They sound better anyway ;)